New MAC user: Phone and iTunes synching

Discussion in 'OS X and OS X Apps' started by HelloPanda, Apr 19, 2014.

1. HelloPanda

HelloPanda Member

Hello,

I'm just a week old Mac user, so please help me out with these silly and easy absurd questions, (imo). First of, my iPhone is synched to my old Windows-based laptop. When I plugged it into my Mac while using iTunes, I received a message that I have to erase all of the contents of my phone because it is synched with another computer. It's actually fine with me. The problem is the songs stored in my phone. Is there a way to get the iTunes library/settings specifically all of the music so that the songs will not be lost after erasing my phone? Also, I know whenever you create a backup of an Apple device like for example, an iPhone, all applications are copied right? Everything will be stored in iTunes so that when you restore the backup everything will be back and organized again specially the folders of my apps. Well, I just find those apps stored in my Mac since I won't be able to use them, right? If only I can backup everything, yet the apps will not eat my disk space or just to simply delete them after synching.

Another thing, I also have an iPad. Is there going to be an issue when I plug it to my Mac, through iTunes that was used to sync my iPhone? And I have lots of pictures in my iPhone. How can I back them up? Aside from using iPhotos, what other applications can I use? I just wanna backup the Pictures and Videos to my Mac but not restore them. iTunes restores everything right?

Thanks.

2. ManongPishbol

ManongPishbol New Member

hi im also a new mac user myself.. il try to give you my thoughts about your situation . here goes nothing..
    1. If you have your music library synced to your windows pc, why not transfer all your music files from windows pc to your mac? thats the first thing i did when had my mac. transfer all the necessities. i don't think there's a way (please correct me anyone if I'm wrong) inside the iTunes settings that will leave your music untouched if you are about to sync your iPhone to another computer. the only way (i think) is to have your new mac a copy of music files.
    2. Im not that sure about the whole app file will be copied to your mac (even if it will be, i don't see any problem with it your mac will have enough gigs to cater every app you have in your phone). but what i know is you have an option to sync your iPhone to iCloud rather than to your computer.
    3. Dont be afraid.. i think there's no other pc suitable to sync all your idevices but your mac. =)
    4. Whenever you sync your iPhone the photos inside it will automatically be saved on the pc you sync it with. but if you want to, you can just drag and drop your photos to your mac. connect it using a cable and your mac/pc will recognize it as a portable media device that you can copy/transfer files.

these are just my thoughts... I'm no mac expert when it comes to these things, please take everything i said with a pinch of salt. :)

one more thing...i just want to warn you about this. this one i just found out and bugs me the most. like most of new mac switchers i came from windows. and i had all my files backed up ever since. all media, programs, etc. (tell me about it) eating 500+ gb in my external hdd. and i just found out yesterday that i will NOT be able to transfer any file i want to back up FROM my mac to my external hdd! because windows formats drives using NTFS and mac uses FAT32. so all a mac can do in NTFS formatted drive is read and copy files from it and NOT save files TO it. and the only solution for me is to have my external hdd reformatted for my mac to be able to save to it. now where in the hole will i place that 500+ gb of files for me to have it reformatted and be compatible with mac. this ones a real pain in the ass... and it hurts like hole.. :(

3. greta87

greta87 PhilMUG Addict Member

Use iCloud or Dropbox to back up everything on your iPhone before you sync with the Mac. Use same iCloud or Dropbox account with your mac so all your data will be sync'd across devices. If your cloud storage is not enough & there's data on your iPhone that's not backed up in your windows computer; try installing an app on your mac (or windows) that specifically extracts data from your iPhone. Then just manually transfer extracted data to your mac & import into iTunes, then just sync with your iPhone ...

4. iAmMichael05

iAmMichael05 Active Member

Hi and congratulations for having your first Mac.

1) First, I have a question. Where does all your music stored? Because as I read it, I think it is safe to assume that most of your music are also stored in your Windows machine; the same exact machine where you used to sync your iPhone. So why not just copy all the music from your Windows machine then transfer it to your Mac? :)

2) Regarding the apps, you can't delete them if you plan on restoring them. Because as far as I know, iPhone backs up everything from photos, messages, settings, etc including the apps BUT they need the apps (physical apps with their files stored in your hard disk) to be available in your mac for you to restore it later. If you choose to delete the apps you see in your iTunes, then sooner and later you plan on restoring your iPhone from a back up, yes the files (photos, messages etc) will be restored but the apps WON'T. iTunes will give you an error stating that, unable to restore apps because files are not available (something like that).

3) Your iPad and iPhone are two different products that has different/unique identifiers. You won't have a problem. iTunes will treat them as different iDevices. :)

4) iPhoto is the best and simplest way I can suggest if you want to backup your photos and videos. Back it up using iPhoto then delete the photos and videos in your iPhone after if you don't want it to stay there.

5) For the "requiring you to erase all contents", I think this only happen if you your computer is not authorized with your Apple ID. For you to authorize it, check this link: Authorize or deauthorize your Mac or PC

Hope this helps. Thanks!

5. HelloPanda

HelloPanda Member

Yup, I agree with what you said. Although the problem is that my iPhone is synched to another computer that is why I have to delete all of the contents of my iPhone before synching it to iTunes using my Mac.

Yup, I can definitely use iCloud. I actually use it. I'm already using 40% of it. I only have 5 GB of iCloud storage and my iPhone is 32 GB :-(

I can just simply use iPhoto to copy all videos and photos. The problem is I don't know where iPhoto will save those files. Or I guess I can just copy everything using Finder just like a USB Flash Drive device. It's like when you plugin your phone using Windows.

Upon using Mavericks or the one before Mavericks, I think it's Mountain Lion. It can read/write NTFS-formatted drives.

Yup I can do that. But it will consume space. The music files will consume space. Do you think it is possible to store the music files to an external HD. Can iTunes recognize the files? For the Apps, whenever you back them up they are all copied to your computer. It gets deleted after the restoration.

Thank you :)

Everything is stored in my old laptop. It's a Windows-based machine. I cannot copy them anymore because it is formatted. :-(

Oh that sucks. iPhone apps will consume space. I find it nonsense :( You won't be able to use it on your Mac in the first place, right? Well here's the thing. I am planning to backup my phone, using my Mac. I hope the message from iTunes telling me that the phone was synched to another computer will be gone though. Going back, whenever you backup an Apple device using iTunes, well it backs up everything even the Pictures. Well, I don't want to restore the Pictures anymore. How can I do that?

Thanks! I am thinking there's going to be some issues with those devices because they are sharing the same library.

I agree with this. Aside from iPhoto, can I just use Finder to backup the pictures and videos of my iPhone? And how can I delete the 3,000+ pictures and videos on my phone all at once?

I already authorized this computer via iTunes. The problem is, it says it is synched in to another computer.