New Mac Mini

Discussion in 'Mac Mini' started by purdinelim, Sep 19, 2014.

1. Extremist

Extremist Member

I too, am very disappointed. I waited for this, the killer was the decision not to make the base model use ssd. I would never go back to traditional drives, 5400 rpm hdd is already jurassic at this day and age. Apple failed.

2. macdrive007

macdrive007 Well-Known Member

^IMHO, having a Mac that still runs on HDD is a good offering, since this means we can still upgrade it to the ever becoming affordable Crucial SSD. Almost all latest Macs are now no longer user-upgradeable (RAM & storage), making reselling the only option to upgrade. I hope that Apple will always maintain a base model that upgraded by the user, like this Mac Mini. :)

3. vic2rp

vic2rp Active Member

4. amieldh

amieldh Active Member

5. paul_s

paul_s Member

All that waiting for a so-so upgrade. Mac Mini used to be king in terms of upgradeability. Now it's just another money making machine for Apple. :)

6. macosx

macosx Member

Actually not happy with the new Mac Mini, like the new iPad Mini 3, the missing 32GB storage option.

Sometimes I really missed Steve Jobs, it feel that when he was around it was not always about making more money but about making customers happy. The money was just a result of customers being satisfied.

7. Godfather

Godfather PhilMUG Addict Member

Mac Mini seems like the neglected child of the Apple family. It gets the least attention from Cook and Company, and they only update it when they can be bothered with it.

Then usually they just get the leftover parts from the floor of the Macbook and iMac lines.

This being the dismal case, people must be killing each other to buy the remaining stocks of the old, upgrade-friendlier Mac Mini. To think that we have been waiting two years for a refreshed model, and the one right under our noses was the better model.

I wouldn't be surprised if this were the last of the Mac Minis, and it may soon join the iPod Classic in the hall of forgotten apples. Dwindling upgrading in Cupertino usually leads to end of life for a product.

8. VicB

VicB PhilMUG Addict Member

From all this feedback, I'm now glad I bought the Mac Mini 2012 a week before the new Mac Mini announcement. Although I got the base variant (2.5 GHz), I just hope that RAM & SDD upgrade parts are still available a couple of years from now.

9. mannyespejo

mannyespejo Active Member

I'm planning to get a mac-mini to replace my early 2009 Macbook. It's just plugged in and attached to my LED Tv serving as home theater. So I guess it would be better to get the quad-core i7 MD388 model than these recently released 2014 mac-minis?

10. DON2003

DON2003 Well-Known Member

still the most affordable mac yet,
    hoping for a bargain with the leftover mini when this new model arrive

11. ijingo

ijingo Active Member

Nagtaka pa tayo, matagal na tayong slave kay Apple at wala tayong pangundangan na mahal talaga Apple products, now they soldered everything, they want you to upgrade na sa highest specs. Apple wins again for the premium. Yan ang totoong Applegate di lang naten nare-reliaze.

12. lmd052300

lmd052300 Member

Yes you have point we're slave. But we still buy apple products. At least there product is durable. Will last for years. :)

13. potpot2

potpot2 PhilMUG Addict Member

I dont mind The soldered rams. What irks me is that  can't even provide us with charging cables with decent enough quality.

14. amieldh

amieldh Active Member

True, very true. :p

15. lmd052300

lmd052300 Member

Haha. Its like a marketing strategy. Madali masira pag di ka ingat gumamit, tas bibili ka uli. Kikita uli cila

16. mig

mig Active Member

You should be fine with a 2014 mini for home theater use.

17. ijingo

ijingo Active Member

Well what can we do though...we're slaves. Still keeping my 2012's.

18. potpot2

potpot2 PhilMUG Addict Member

Maybe charlie will sell the old model at a bargain price. Will be waiting for his announcement

19. voltaire_lb

voltaire_lb Member

so is it good na bumili ng iMac 21.5 inch (middle specs) today rather than the new mac mini?

20. rllagas

rllagas Member

So does anyone have the latest price for the new minis? Did Sir Charlie provide special pricing for them?

But I'm praying na swertehin sa Black Friday sale at somehow may nakasale na mini somewhere. haha