new logic board

Discussion in 'MacBook Air, MacBook & MacBook Pro' started by vincechang, Dec 12, 2009.

1. vincechang

vincechang Member

Sorry if there is a similar thread already but i can't seem to find it. How much would it cost to have the logic board replaced? where is the ideal place to have a macbook pro services.

i have the pre unibody macbook pro 15inch.

Thanks in advance! cheers!

2. fr.ankie

fr.ankie Member

you dont have applecare? you macbook pro seems new.

3. vincechang

vincechang Member

already expired. the macbook already has its share of battle scars :p

4. soulspain013

soulspain013 Member

5. vincechang

vincechang Member

that expensive... seems like its telling me to buy a new uni polycarbonate macbook instead.. :slanted:

6. bhoyetjumpay

bhoyetjumpay Well-Known Member

logic board is pricey, i suggest you buy new macbook na lang

try to contact ynzal or digital hub to get quotation on the logic board

7. soulspain013

soulspain013 Member

yup. that's way to expensive. the price of the logic covers almost the total price of the unit itself. the worst part get busted is the logic board.

8. joseph_camela

joseph_camela Active Member

Liteware bill me 35K for logic board but you can get online for 399USD.

9. ste@lth

[email protected] Well-Known Member

geeez, just want to share a little bit on this, isn't it that mac is supposed to be a top of the line product, i mean i had owned windows laptops before that lasts more the 3 to 5 years the brands are Acer, HP, Gateway that never fail so much as the mother board gets busted even if its warranty is only 1 year, reading a lot of issues on our mac from dvd drives to logic boards makes me wonder if macs are really build to "last", knowing the small user base of macs here in the Philippines and reading post like these make feel otherwise, does it really mean we should have apple care for our units to assure ourselves even though apple products are supposed to be trust worthy machines? just think of it....

10. pochiman

pochiman PhilMUG Addict Member

same here [email protected]. i own a pc laptop and have never thought of having to buy extended warranty for it. i'm just not sure though if its all coz Apple here has such a small following compared to Windows hence issues like these are so noticeable or if the build quality has significantly dropped from the way they've been manufacturing them in the past.

11. vincechang

vincechang Member

Maybe the problems are only in the Laptops. i also own an imac, which is more than a year old already.. no issues whatsoever YET.. *knocks on wood*

does anyone know how much the repair will cost in Digital Hub?
    Charlie has been ignoring my emails and text messages since October. :(

12. vincechang

vincechang Member

I don't understand why power mac center's service center is closed on a sunday! i wanted to have them check my laptop and come up with an estimated cost..

13. fr.ankie

fr.ankie Member

its better to buy a new laptop na lang. as far as i know it costs as much as a new one.

14. panis

panis Well-Known Member

Just this year the logic board of my macbook black was replaced. Luckily, it was still covered by apple care, which expired only this November. If it was no longer covered by apple care I would have contemplated on buying a new one instead of having the logic board replaced.

My macbook lasted around 2 1/2 years before I had a major part replaced. I did thought about the durability of macbooks when it happened. But I have two relatives whose HP laptops lasted only two years. The problem - motherboard.

My first laptop was an Acer that worked for a long time until it became too slow for the newly-developed programs then. But my second Acer also did not last long.

My point is, I think they do not make computers that last very long anymore, whether PC or mac.

15. johannes

johannes PhilMUG Chairman
    Staff Member Chairman

Charlie's a very busy guy. It would be better if you just drop by one of his stores, ask his staff to take a look at your machine and ask for a more specific quote. They can give a better quote because they can actually see your unit.

Did you ask them why? My guess is their store service centers are connected to their San Juan office, which is closed on Sundays... like most regular offices.

Folks, whether it's Macs or PCs, they all have their share of bad eggs. As I've said before, some folks buy Macs that end up in service centers within days or weeks. Some, on the other hand, buy Macs that never see the inside of a service center for years... to the point that their owners deliberately abuse them just to have an excuse to buy a new Mac. Lousy as it may sound, it's a matter of chance sometimes.

Yes, Macs are "top of the line" products. That still doesn't exempt Apple from having the occasional bad eggs. While some would say the Macs of old were built tougher than their modern (somewhere in the Intel era) descendants, let's not forget that Macs are being built "cheaper" nowadays and at larger quantities. (I should know. I paid an arm and a leg for my pre-Intel Mac.) The people want their Macs "high end" but affordable. Well, everything, including "affordable", has a price.

16. seabournlegend

17. Mad Mac

Mad Mac Active Member

Not all MacBook Pros go bad. Not all PCs las a lifetime either. It's a technological crapshoot.
    Sometimes it is due to bad user habits. Just this month, my sister complained about her Asus lappy shutting down. I interviewed her and as it turned out, she always uses the laptop on her bed. I looked at the laptop and all the vents , you guessed it, were located on the bottom. And she wondered why her PC was shutting down.

18. madmax168

madmax168 Active Member

Electronics is like winning the lottery... it may be fine today and when you wake up tomorrow, it won't work anymore.

19. soulspain013

soulspain013 Member

+1

even a formula race car that took 100 formulas to be built also has its downside or defect. it is a matter of luck. not all devices can be perfect. even a space shuttle that is engineered and built for extreme environment are not spared. IMHO, we can't blamed all the manufacturers for there failed units, because, they also use trial and error method in which they could find and see what can be still improved. however, for us consumers, it is a sad thing for which we are always the one who catches these things.

20. bad_boy

bad_boy Watching Your Language
    Staff Member Supporter

So, the conclusion is that if the logic board of your out-of-warranty unit dies, you're better off selling it for parts? My friend's brother is in that situation now (pre-unibody MBP, I think).