New iPad Mini (2019)

Discussion in 'iPad' started by denpacs, Mar 18, 2019.

Tags:
  1. pochiman

pochiman PhilMUG Addict Member

^ But still! Aarrgghh!!!

Hehe! Just kidding, I get your point sir Roland. ^^.

2. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

^And like foldable phones and tablets (when they come about), they will all surely pass through and then we’ll be left thinking, “what the hell did i just buy again?!”

Frankly, having minimal hardware on your person like an iPhone and nothing else is liberating, rather than having all the latest and doing nothing with them other than admiring their beauty and ignoring their tremendous price differences.

potpot2 likes this.
  3. rdy0329

rdy0329 PhilMUG Addict Member

Exactly. As the segment widens (Macs, iPhones and iPads) you really need to think where you fall in the segment. The past few years have been "adjustment" years for most of us since we're used to one or two products in one category.

I like the appeal of:

iPhone 8/SE + Mini + MacBook/Air

Frankly, anyone could live with the combo above

but I would very much prefer:

iPhone XS + 11" Pro (12.9" if laptop replacement).

Most of the /average/ people I know would settle with:

iPhone XS Max / XR as an all around computing device and some windows PC for work.

#23 rdy0329, Mar 22, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2019
  4. prof_er

prof_er Active Member

This is very true!!!

I think there should be a thread for persons like me about "HOW TO CONTROL YOURSELF FROM BUYING GADGETS AFTER RANTING ABOUT IT"

Honestly, i am on of those persons who rants about apple or samsung products new devices and end up buying them.

5. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

This the usual company issued equipment... :)

iPhone/Galaxy S + Windows device = $0.00

6. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm...Apple is blanketing the entire market range for tablets/sub-tablets, from the cheapest segment to the most expensive, from the smallest to the biggest. That’s the only point of refreshing the mini and the AirPad. It is kinda’ confusing because of so many choices for consumers but Apple simply decided to take no chances. If you want a tablet, go Apple because, to borrow SM’s mantra, we’ve got it all.

I think the same will happen with the iPhone this year (struggling a bit), with a rumored 3 to 4 new iPhones (with 2 all-new models). Blanket the market.

potpot2, rdy0329 and prof_er like this.
  7. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

Admission is the first step to rehabilitation.

We've all been there before. Men want the prettiest, sexiest, and the smartest—all in one neat package. Feeling pogi. :D

EX3, wulf, Qin Zhi and 2 others like this.
  8. prof_er

prof_er Active Member

This is so true.

jayparalejas likes this.
  9. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

And since I am 10 days away from watching John Mayer in concert:

"Twice as much ain't twice as good
    And won't sustain like one half could
    It's wanting more
    That's gonna send me to my knees"​

:)

mikeyllorin likes this.
  10. leninmac

leninmac PhilMUG Addict Member

It’s still looks like a 5 year old device ( because it is lol). I will still buy it because my 2015 iPad Mini is getting a little slower and there’s just no alternative. I just hate it when Apple opts not to innovate and just keeps on refreshing their products. It’s been 4 years for Pete’s sake, at least reduce the bezel and maybe make it a little thinner or lighter.

hitme64 likes this.
  11. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

^My mini is now 3 years old, something of a redundancy given that i also have a Pro but nothing beats the former when you just need something to look at, read into or just enjoying watching from...

A new one is “another” redundancy, so to speak...why waste an old one for virtually the same thing (the faster and stronger assets are of no use to me)...

12. lamski

lamski PhilMUG Addict Member

For current iPad owners, does having the wifi-cellular version worth it? Is it worth maintaining a separate data plan for? If you're out and you need an internet connection, you can easily do so using your iPhone's internet sharing feature.
    For 2018 iPad Pro owners with cellular, are you using the ESIM? Is ESIM available on Globe and Smart?

leninmac likes this.
  13. OwlAlpha26

OwlAlpha26 Active Member

IMO no need for cellular, get more storage instead(case it's in your choices as well).

Well, you just have to make sure you're using the same iCoud account for both devices.

And then, connect thru you iPhone's internet without going thru its settings but just going thru your iPad's Wifi settings. Sure your iPhone's hotspot will always be in the list.

raypin and lamski like this.
  14. leninmac

leninmac PhilMUG Addict Member

Hmm. Yes if you need it. Here in Singapore we have an option with our telco providers to avail of a separate sim card and share the dataplan of your main sim card. It's called Multi Sim. You just have to pay an additional SGD7-10 of your monthly subscription fee. Using your phone's hotpsot has never been a solution for me because it drains your phone's battery.

rpgorriceta, eag, raypin and 3 others like this.
  15. a9828

a9828 Member

I've been using iPads since 2011. My first was a wifi only ipad2 and then changed it to ipad cellular air2. The cellular model was nice at first but I realized that when there was always wifi at home and at work, the separate plan became redundant. I agree with getting more storage instead, if you need it. Generally, the cellular is only good if you don't have a reliable wifi connection regularly. Otherwise, internet sharing on your phone for occasional use does the job.

OwlAlpha26 and lamski like this.
  16. xkg

xkg Member

I've had my ipad mini for like 4 years (?) now. last year it had a screen issue so I've been on the market for one. I didn't really want any of the bigger ipads. I won't be drawing on them. Really for reading, writing notes and browsing and emergency keynote presentations that are awkward to do on a phone.

It sucks that this year's mini looks exactly the same as all other minis before it. But I will probably get one.

pandecoco and amieldh like this.