New iMacs (Mid-2010 i3, i5, i7 models)

Discussion in 'iMac' started by bhoyetjumpay, Jul 27, 2010.

1. elbert

elbert Active Member

I have a 2 year old 20" iMac in my resto which is holding up exceptionally well, even if its specs seem archaic these days. It serves its purpose without any compromise. If I buy this new i3 base model, it would actually be over spec'ed for my business's needs.

My wife uses a 21.5" 3.06GHz iMac at home. No need to refresh that, even if I can easily afford the upgrade. Its specs are still a bit above her needs. I use it once in a while and I find it plenty fast. No compelling need to upgrade her 1-year old computer.

Personally, I think this refresh is just fine. Entry level computers are supposed to be just that--entry level. With a base price of just $1,200, it's got basic computers in mind. An i5 or i7 would be extra cost that would largely go unappreciated by its target market

Anyone who feels the upgrade is inadequate and wants more or needs more power can always go for the higher model or BTO option.

2. zoo101

zoo101 Well-Known Member

...or a mac pro.

iMacs are just that, for the entry/consumer level. i personally think that the specs of the new iMac's are more than enough for my needs and with Apple providing the BTO option, you would think that it should be enough for most... but apparently not.

it will be a tad more than that with the Education Promo at the Philippine apple store

3. mawiuy

mawiuy New Member

This just in, Mac World just released their latest lab test result for the 21.5-inch Core i3 iMac/3.06Ghz (entry level).

Some of the highlights are:

1. The Core i3 processor used in this iMac supports Intel’s Hyper-Threading technology, which gives the two-core processor four “virtual cores” for better performance in multithreaded applications.

2. The Nvidia integrated-graphics technology used in the previous generation of iMacs isn’t compatible with the Core i3 processor, so a change was inevitable.

3. In addition to the 3.06GHz Core i3 processor and Radeon HD 4670 graphics with 256MB of dedicated GDDR3 SDRAM, the new entry-level iMac includes 4GB of 1,333MHz DDR3 SDRAM and a 500GB hard drive for $1199—the same price as the model it replaces. That older model had Nvidia GeForce 9400M integrated graphics, a 3.06GHz Core 2 Duo processor, the same 500GB hard drive, and 4GB of slower 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM.

4. Its 20 percent faster overall than the Core 2 Duo system it replaces, and just about 9 percent faster than the previous $1499 3.2GHz Core 2 Duo model.

5. But faster though the new Core i3 system is, it’s still 15 percent slower than the previous top-of-the-line quad-core 2.66GHz Core i5 iMac

Source: Mac World

4. zoo101

zoo101 Well-Known Member

thanks for this! the changes are not that many but i think they're significant enough particularly on the graphics and RAM modules

as expected; the core i5 has the turbo functionality for better multi-tasking; it is also a 10k upgrade option for the high-end 21.5' :p

5. John H

John H Member

I can understand those who are disappointed but from a purely hardware perspective Macs are usually (with some exceptions)behind horsepower, GPU and price pound for pound vs the PC world simply because the PC world updates more often (in both price and specs) then Apple. You can get a nice mid range setup: i5 CPU tower with a powerful GPU card and a decent monitor for the price of the low end iMac but it won't be as beautiful or elegant as the iMac. We just have to accept slightly dated hardware as a reasonable trade off for using OSX and having an integrated hardware software system.

#45 John H, Jul 29, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2010
  6. Vinuox

Vinuox Member

i wonder if the entry level can manage video editing, say final cut express?
    well, it can be flawless in running photo editing apps like aperture and photoshop..

7. LeoCastillo

LeoCastillo Maestro
    Staff Member

I was able to edit video on a Pentium II, so you can definitely edit video well on an Intel Core i3. ;)
    And remember people used to run Aperture & Photoshop flawlessly on Core 2 Duos so you should be fine ;)

8. longhegrin

longhegrin Member

Guys, especially those who know store owners, where can I buy a new iMac for the lowest price? Megamall or VMall?

9. Chito Limson

Chito Limson Unfrozen…
    Staff Member

I'm already using a 27-in iMac and I'm happy with the huge screen real estate. However, what I would appreciate more is a curved screen (perhaps an AMOLED?) so that I can see all I need to see with a simple swivel of my head. Right now, I have the most active app on the center of the screen, an ongoing chat with Globe on the right, and a stock ticker on the left. I still need to move my head sideways, instead of just rotating it, just to view the lateral screens. Wish List lang...

10. PatrickGaerlan

PatrickGaerlan Super Moderator
    Staff Member

@soloworx, maybe the edges of the new 27" with the IPS screen will be easier to see from the middle because the viewing angle is so wide.

11. zoo101

zoo101 Well-Known Member

most of us dont really know the owners, but they still entertain queries from us PhilMUG members. you can always PM/Email them. There's Charlie of Digital Walker, there's also Tynn of Liteware (not sure if i got this right; correct me im wrong guys!) and probably more.

just monitor the board. they always post here updates about promos, stock availability, etc.

12. Chito Limson

Chito Limson Unfrozen…
    Staff Member

It's clear naman Patrick, but you know, like if you're viewing a large painting, you can't see everything from one position alone. You have to move a bit sideways to take everything in. It's not a problem for graphics but for text, you do need to move your head sideways.

13. PatrickGaerlan

PatrickGaerlan Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Gotcha :) (I need to add this because I can't post the reply if it's less that 10 characters ;) )

14. theoneborg

theoneborg Member

In my opinion the new iMacs have great variety of specs to suit most users, but my personal issue is that the BTO options for the 21" is inferior to the options on the 27" (likely due to size constraint of course).
    But I would really love if they offered the same customization options, like higher 1GB video card and 16GB RAM on a 21" iMac, why? because 27" won't fit too well on my desk corner, and i personally think 27" too big for a PC monitor, kind of an eyesore like it's trying hard to compete (but losing) to my much bigger HDTV's.

15. marklj

marklj Member

is there a big difference between the new top end 27" vs the current top end 27"

i intend to use it for photo editing and video editing. not really a gamer.:)

16. voidnothings

voidnothings Member

in the new models you've got better options :)

17. elbert

elbert Active Member

I remember when the first iMac was introduced in 1998. It was intended to be a real personal device, bringing the essence of term 'user friendly' to a new realm. Apple bragged that out of the box, there was no step 3 in setting up and connecting to the internet (the original reason for the "i" naming convention).

To me, the iMac has always been a computer aimed at non-professional users, including your grandmothers. I'm totally appreciative of the fact that so much spec has ben thrown into the range that even professionals can use them these days.

18. Theus

Theus PhilMUG Addict Member

I was at powermac last night and tried the 27" just to get a feel of it. Somehow, i'm still overwhelmed by the size. I guess i'll just go for the 21.5" for my upgrade. Hopefully, apple comes up with an equally sized LED monitor (nasanay na sa dual display ;) )

19. longhegrin

longhegrin Member

Looks like Apple is killing all LED monitors except for one - the 27" monitor.

More importantly, are you sure the 27" is too big, too overwhelming? Why did Apple discontinue the 30" monitor? It is easy to assume that bigger screens are always better. What do you think?

Thanks!
    Will monitor the board for promo prices. The new iMac is definitely on my shopping list. Just need to find the lowest price. Was kind of hoping that PhilMUG had special discounts from Digital Walker, Liteware, or iStudio.

Wishful thinking?

20. bhoyetjumpay

bhoyetjumpay Well-Known Member

check this link, new imacs arriving at digital hub