New iMac (early 2011 with sandy bridge processors)

Discussion in 'iMac' started by warmgreentea, May 3, 2011.

1. borjlee28

borjlee28 New Member

can any1 help me where to get BTO imac 27" i7...

can any 1 pls help me where to get the new 27 " imac BTO..

2. trojand

trojand Member

Does anyone know where to buy this new imac? I called digital hub today but they don't have stocks yet.

3. rflores

rflores Well-Known Member

to the two guys up, contact Charlie.

4. warmgreentea

warmgreentea PhilMUG Addict Member

Sadly, there's still no proper bootcamp update for the AMD 6970M under windows. My graphic experiences under OSX (tested starcraft 2) has been flawless, but under windows, high settings could only pump up to 15fps and even lags at times. I've read in other forums that the GPU being used under bootcamp is the on board GPU of the intel sandy bridge processors. The computer will recognize that there's a 6970M onboard the computer, but when you run the ATI Catalyst Command Center, it would not detect the amd GPU.

So for the philmug hopefuls that plan to game on the new iMacs under bootcamp, I guess you have to wait for the proper update from amd to come someday. ;)

5. warmgreentea

(forgive me for the double post. couldn't edit my previous post anymore.. mods, can you merge this with the one above? :)

I noticed that most of the time I use my iMac, it's GPU Diode temperature reaches up to 93 degrees, It even hurts my hand when I touch the upper right-back of my iMac. I only use minimal ram and processor memory these days, and I've been bothered with the high temperature it's emitting.

By experimenting, I found the culprit of behind these high temps: the extra dual monitors plugged in the thunderbolt sockets. When i unplugged the extra monitors, temp of the GPU is now at 55 degrees.. Now I'm relieved (I though my unit was a lemon). Just a heads up for those who plan on going triple screen.. Watch the temperature levels. :)

6. WaZ_

WaZ_ Member

is it normal to have temperatures like that?

7. warmgreentea

Well my take, it isn't. I could literally cook an egg on the surface of the imac. :confused:

8. Salaryman Ryan

Salaryman Ryan PhilMUG Addict Member

Wow that really high. The Sandy bridge Macbook Pros also have a similar temperature issue. In the case of the MB Pros it was poor application of thermal paste. Some of the more intrepid Mac users actually opened up their MB Pros and reapplied the proper amount of TP and most of them report a dramatic drop in temperatures. Perhaps the situation is similar for the new iMacs.

9. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

I am really inlove with my new iMac!

I normally need 20mins to convert a 40min video using handbrake on my Macbook (white). Now, I only need 5mins!!!

10. warmgreentea

My c2d Macbook Pro takes around 8-10 hours of converting a season of a tv show (ex. Community), now it takes only around 2 hours or less. ;)

11. sheren917

sheren917 New Member

hi sirs and ma'ams
    i'm planning to buy the imac 21.5inches though i'm having problem deciding whether to get the 2.7ghz i5 or the 2.8ghz i7...i'm going to use it only for home and editing pictures using cs5, photomatix, lightroom, also for some games :) and for internet use...is there much of a difference? and is it really worth upgrading from i5-i7? thanks so so much :)

12. MacSonic 779

MacSonic 779 Member

Hi Sheren917

Welcome to Philmug. I think the Intel core i5 is adequate for your computing needs. The difference between the i5 and i7 is that i7 offers hyperthreading. Most softwares today are still not supportive with hyperthreading. And about the clock speed of 2.7ghz and 2.7ghz; they're just about equal. Hope this helps :)

13. LeoCastillo

LeoCastillo Maestro
    Staff Member

I'll agree here. The i5 is more than enough. Heck I used to do all those things with a Core 2 Duo for my professional photo work and I was fine.

Leo

14. sheren917

sheren917 New Member

at last!!! thank you so much for all your inputs :) it really helped me alot! will just stick to 2.7ghz :) thank you sirs :)

15. ANA G.

ANA G. Member

Finally purchased my first desktop. I've been reading this thread in a while and it was a big help. Wondering what to do first? Suggestion anyone?

16. MacSonic 779

MacSonic 779 Member

That's great and Congrats on your new Mac. First try to update your OS to the latest Snow leopard via internet. And go to System Preferences/Security and activate or enable your firewall settings. Would also be advisable if you can get a UPS for power protection as we get fluctualtions and to protect your Mac. APC is a good brand. :) Have fun.

17. ANA G.

ANA G. Member

Thanks MacSonic. Sorry what is UPS? Where can i get it sir?

18. abbadon

abbadon Member

Uninterruptible Power Suppy. You can try Silicon Valley.

19. MacSonic 779

MacSonic 779 Member

Hi Ana,

You can check out the different UPS here: http://www.apc.com/products/category.cfm?id=13

Most computer stores have them. It is to protect your Mac from electric power spikes from lightnings and thunderstorms. Usually the power supply of the computer gets hit first

20. Salaryman Ryan

Salaryman Ryan PhilMUG Addict Member

Question to all 2011 iMac owners, does your iMac's upper back gets hot with simple regular use? Just curious because I have some 2010 that gets quite toasty in that area even when idle.