New iMac (early 2011 with sandy bridge processors)

Discussion in 'iMac' started by warmgreentea, May 3, 2011.

1. jay25

jay25 Member

So I couldn't wait for the next iMac update. I'm planning to buy a 27in iMac next week.
    I will be using the Mac mostly for Logic Pro with Memory heavy Sample Libraries (Maxing out the RAM to 32GB).
    Is there a big difference between the stock 3.1GHz i5 and the BTO 3.4GHz i7? Is it worth the extra bucks? Or should I just get the stock iMac?

2. LeoCastillo

LeoCastillo Maestro
    Staff Member

If you're planning to max out the RAM to 32GB that tells me you have mucho mucho money (it'll cost you at least P20,000 just to get the RAM).
    Might as well get the BTO 3.4GHz i7 while you're at it :) (the processor upgrade is *only* about 10K)

Having said that, I agree with Salaryman Ryan to consider waiting for the next release.
    But if you really need it, and you don't think you'll be frustrated when a newer, better, and cheaper model comes out which will then kill the resale value of your top end Mac (something that recent iPad 2 buyers are experiencing with regret) then go for it now.

Leo

3. jay25

jay25 Member

So is it really a big difference performance-wise from the 3.1 to the 3.4 models using Logic Pro?
    I've been waiting for the new models, but I kinda need a desktop for a project I'm working on and my current Macbook won't be able to run most of the Software Instruments I just bought. So I think I would need to buy it soon. I wouldn't be too concerned about the resale value, it would be just that the smudge issue bugs me. I don't wanna be frustrated every few months to see dusts on the screen. Do you guys know where I can buy these dust filters I saw on Amazon locally?

4. djmyke

djmyke Member

how heavy are your samples in ur imac? im also a logic pro user.. but still doing fine with an imac 24inch 2.8ghz core2duo. im running komplete 8 ultimate and symphobia2. im actuall waiting for the newer ones so that i could see if the new imacs can perform well with the new VST instruments

5. jay25

jay25 Member

I'm using East West Samples. So far I think it will run well on the Quad Core ones.
    So since I can't seem to find a BTO iMac 3.4GHz that would not make me wait weeks before I get it. I'm thinking of getting the stock 3.1GHz because I have a deadline for the project I'm doing and it cannot wait.

OT: Where did you purchase your Komplete 8 Ultimate?