Neverwinter Nights

Discussion in 'Third party hardware, software and accessories' started by xineizer, Apr 12, 2004.

1. ncarandang

ncarandang Active Member

quite interested in your nwn gaming server man..

2. cutiepanda

cutiepanda Member

me too!! me too!!

Hi hi,

Just reinstalled NWN on my Powerbook, ready to log in... oh, and don't forget... we need beer!!!

(Good ol' fighter in me coming out again, hehe... :beer: )

3. xineizer

xineizer Member

Great! Okay... I've just downloaded the stand-alone server for Linux... my colleagues are not here in the office at the moment... we'll have to prepare the server, install and test the stand-alone server, and have it online on the Internet...

This may take some time... keep you guys posted.

Question... once we have the stand-alone server up... what can we do?

Pardon the ignorance... newbie with NWN... :blush:

Any Dungeon Masters in the house?

4. ginoledesma

ginoledesma Guest

Once the server is up and running, someone has to configure a DM (or act as one), and specify which campaign to be played. If I recall correctly, the original campaign (OC) of NWN can be multiplayed, as with Shadows of Undrentide, but not Hordes of the Underdark.

5. xineizer

xineizer Member

Wow! So, you're saying that we can go and search for a cure for the Wailing Death as a party?!? Wow! Sige, game!

I elect Gino as Dungeon Master! :beer:

6. ginoledesma

ginoledesma Guest

Hahaha! Sorry, I'm highly unskilled as a DM. We can be "DM-less" and let the computer do it for us. :D

7. xineizer

xineizer Member

Help!

Still on testing mode... not available on Internet yet:(

I've installed the stand-alone server on Linux and started it... I was able to connect to it using my NWN...

my question is... How do we play the original campaign without a DM?

8. Louvette

Louvette Guest

I WANT TO JOIN!

Among the three NWN games, my favorite would have to be Hordes of the Underdark (and not just because of a particular tiefling henchman :D).

I've tried the multiplayer bit only once (with my husband... using the Original Campaign) and would so like to do it again. I'd like to join!

My favorite class at the moment is the Shifter (okay, technically a Druid/Shifter/Monk). My character is a halfling, and I get a kick out of seeing my little one morph into a HUGE dragon or demonflesh golem and then after the battle go back into being her cute innocent-looking self :evil:

9. cutiepanda

cutiepanda Member

NWN OC can be played without a DM just like how Diablo was back then, when one of the group members (or the leader) speaks with an NPC, the journal is updated for everyone.

As how to set it up on a dedicated server, I think just lauch the dedicated server program and pick the OC module while we log into it.... it should run on itself with the scripts already set?

10. xineizer

xineizer Member

My apologies for the late development on the server. :(

The server is already up and functioning, but not yet available via the Internet. I am still very much contemplating on how to go about security. I wouldn't want the server to be up and so many people ( people we don't know :evil: ) connect to the server as well. Performance and security may suffer.

Keep you guys posted anyways. I promise that I'll have it up soon. My colleagues are also pressuring me to have the server up asap.

Hmmm... let's talk about it during the next PhilMUG meet! :beer:

[Edited on 5-6-2004 by xineizer]

11. xineizer

xineizer Member

Okay, pipol! The server is up and available!

We will have to setup a date and time, and someone has to start a game. However, I'm worried... :( What if that person who started the game on the server gets disconnect from the network (for some strange reason)... will all of us get disconnected as well?

My apologies for the newbie question... newbie NWN player, eh. :p

Let's iron out all the details here first, then I'll let you know the server address. :beer:

12. xineizer

xineizer Member

It may seem that it may be difficult for us to coordinate the schedules of the games through this. A lot of the other players will not be from PhilMUG. So I created a guild at nwn.bioware.com called "The Dark Angel Chapter". It is a closed group and by invitation only.

May I suggest for those who wish to join in the games to register at nwn.bioware.com and U2U me your nicks so that I can send you the invite for the guild. There we can talk about the game schedules via the guild forum.

I hope this is okay with everyone.

13. ginoledesma

ginoledesma Guest

Coolness! Thanks for the heads-up, Joubert! I'll be joining up as soon as my blasted Internet connection at home gets fixed (blasted Destiny).

14. xineizer

xineizer Member

I'm on Destiny as well. No problems here. I hope they fix your line soon.

Anyway, for those on dial-up, I'd like you to know that I tested the server using a prepaid Internet card (Infocom Warpspeed) -- I connected from home. I was able to connect at 50kbps and the response from the server is fast!

Game na! :lol:

15. Louvette

Louvette Guest

Any updates? Our guild forum at Bioware isn't that active, that's why I'm posting here.

16. xineizer

xineizer Member

I can't help but agree. :(

Not very many has signed up at the guild, and hardly anyone is posting. Anyway, the server has been up since before. The server information is posted in the guild.

Did you try to connect? My friends has had difficulties connecting before -- but that was because they forgot to patch up their game to v.1.62. I haven't been able to play NWN for over a week now... :(

Too much work... :mad:

17. Louvette

Louvette Guest

Yep, I did. No problems there :D.

I just noticed that none of my premade characters were allowed, forcing me to make a new character from scratch.

18. ginoledesma

ginoledesma Guest

Sorry I haven't been participating. :( I've been buried neck-deep in work since May, and there doesn't seem to be any sign of it letting up. I'm usually only free on the weekends, but the moment I get the time, I'll definitely sign in.

Xineizer, wait a couple of days (probably til Sat or Sun) and I'll guarantee you a couple of players who'll be itching to play all the time. ;)

19. xineizer

xineizer Member

I've been busy as well.. :(

But the server is up and running. I have changed the OS from Linux to FreeBSD and the server performance is much much better! The server is also running on a dual-Xeon Pentium-III @ 1.4Ghz.

You don't have to wait for me to start playing. Let me know what settings you guys/gals want and I will apply it on the server. For example, do you want to allow local characters, allow use of certain items, what module you want to play, etc?