Neverwinter Nights

Discussion in 'Third party hardware, software and accessories' started by xineizer, Apr 12, 2004.

1. ginoledesma

ginoledesma Guest

I guess we're opposites, Yapi. :) I don't care how crude the looks of a game is, but so long as it presents a very engaging storyline/plot, I go crazy over it. Games I've had endless fun with are Avernum (formerly Exile), Realmz, and Ultima among others. Then the more recent ones, though dated still, are Planescape Torment, Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, and the like.

Hey... Not all of us Mac users are the creative types. And I think the Mac being the domain of the creative types is long gone. ;)

Neverwinter Nights poses a lot of potential for role-playing, though I will admit that the original campaign and the expansion packs aren't as deep and intriguing as that of Baldur's Gate and Planescape Torment. However, the beauty of NWN is its ability to be played online with custom content. I've played a number of fantastic RP campaigns, including PenUltima, Dreamcatcher, and ShadowLords. They're no Final Fantasy, but for those who like D&D, it preserves the spirit of role-playing.

2. ginoledesma

ginoledesma Guest

Deekin rules!!! Ok, no more spoilers. :D

NWN:HotU furthered the love interest that can brew between the player character (PC) and the non-player characters (NPCs). I won't get into any details lest I spoil the fun for you. Depending on who you're playing and how you're playing, you can get different results with the romance -- and there're quite a number of characters you can mix and match with in HotU.

I've yet to play another console RPG that's as engrossing as the early FF games (up to FF7). Now if I can only get a PSX/PS2 emulator to work on Mac OS X...

3. Jiru-chan

Jiru-chan Member

So I heard from my sister. :lol: I actually heard some of his audio clips and from what I heard he's really, REALLY hilarious!

He's one of your PC's henchmen, right?

4. ginoledesma

ginoledesma Guest

Yes. You get to hire him in Shadows of Undrentide, then if you choose, continue your voyage in Hordes of the Underdark. SoU and HotU can be considered as one big story. If you want to know what happens between SoU and HotU, Bioware chose The Nether Scrolls as the winner of their contest. The Nether Scrolls is a custom module written by a fan, edging out Shadohaunt. Its a fun module to play and should give you hours of fun.

Deekin can get on some people's nerves, but he's a fun character to bring around. Me? I'd like to buy a talking Deekin doll! And that speaks volumes, as I don't like dolls that much. ;)

5. xineizer

xineizer Member

Whoa! Whoa! Whoa! What the?!?! :lol: Who's Deekin?!?! :eek:

6. yapi

yapi Member

Ragnarok Online was fun, BUT I didn't like the fact that all we had was a local server, which disallows me from playing with my friends overseas.

Plus yes, I quit soon after because the Ragnarok community here is kinda... gross. You will here "ASL plz?" every three minutes and "pa heal" ever to seconds, which gets very annoying.

7. yapi

yapi Member

I have heard good things about Baldur's Gate from my friend though. He said that I'd probably like it better than NWN. Actually, I've heard some seasoned gamers say that NWN isn't up to par with the others that they've played either. Although I can't really make a good judgement myself, since my PC gaming experience is quite limited.

Haha, no no, I didn't mean what I think you thought I meant. I wasn't generalizing the Mac community, I was just speaking for myself. I'm very drawn to macs because I'm a sucker for pretty things, and a Mac is the pretty thing among pretty computer things.

I think also that's what draws people to it. People love customability :) I have a friend myself who is trying to build his own campaign with it. I think he wanted to anime-tize it. I don't know if he was successful though.. Last time I heard he was still wondering if it was possible.

Hehe, well, there *is* a debate about FF being a "real" RPG anyway. Mostly I think Final Fantasy is for lazy RP-ers. Still, it's pretty, so I can't resist :p

8. Jiru-chan

Jiru-chan Member

Ahhhh.... this is the common complaint that I've been hearing. Don't get me wrong, playing and interacting online is not exactly a bad thing, but I'm that kind of gamer who prefers playing with my computer's AI a lot more than playing with other people whose main point in playing the game is just meeting new people. Which is why NWN is appealing to me. I think you can play it online with other players, but even if you're not online you can still have the time of your life. :beer:

[Edited on 4-16-2004 by Jiru-chan]

9. Jiru-chan

Jiru-chan Member

I think FF7 is STILL the best FF eventhough it's not a true RPG. IMO, it all went downhill when they released FF8. Recently, I got to play X-2 and while the Sailormoon-like transformation sequences amused me greatly, the whole gameplay just got tiring. :wound:

[Edited on 4-16-2004 by Jiru-chan]

10. Jiru-chan

Jiru-chan Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Deekin's a kobold? He's a bard, right? I just LOVE his Doom Song(TM). :lol:

11. ginoledesma

ginoledesma Guest

Ah, Joubert, you really have to play NWN now. ;)

Deekin is a kobold (half-dragon) and he's a bard. In HotU, he can choose to become a Red Dragon Disciple if you so "guide" him to be. He's the loyal, faithful companion to "the boss." Spoiler: His loyalty and faithfulness is unconditional. That's a big spoiler for HotU. 'Nuff said. ;)

He's a funny character to have around. I think he cracks (frank) comments the most, like:
    and of course, his most famous song: "DOOM! DOOM! DOOOOOOOM!"

[Edited on 4-16-2004 by ginoledesma]

12. yapi

yapi Member

FF8 was so blah. The storyline is the worst one I've seen in FF's. Not to mention that the leading lady is also the most annoying one. The junction system was a headache as well. If I wasn't so masipag I wouldn't have bothered to finish the game. 80% of your time with the game was spent playing the card game and extracting magic for junctioning. Bleh.

Plus the soundtrack suffered in many ways. I liked less than half of the music.

I did like FF9 though.

Still for me, my favorite Square title will always be the Chrono series. Nothing beats the beauty of Chrono Trigger and Chrono Chross.

..And I'm SO SORRY that I'm no longer talking about Neverwinter Nights!!!!! Ack!!!! Super OT na ko!!!

13. cutiepanda

cutiepanda Member

Hey there,

Used to play NWN on both PC and MAC as well, that's before I sold my all my PCs and got my wife an iBook... now have totally stopped playing for a few reasons, mainly I wanted to spend more time with my wife and kids (my miniature bull terrier and pug... hehe).

I finished the original campaign and then went online on persistent servers to play (didn't bother with the two expansion storylines after that). Came to a point that it was too addictive just like MMORPGs, so I quit playing right after waking up one day and deleted NWN from my HD.

But hey, it's a great game if you have the time and game play is fully scalable to online servers if you finish the stand-alone game itself. Graphics are a bit obsolete since it was developed more than 4 years ago, but then it's the game play that counts at the end of the day. Perhaps will install it again one day... till then, safe travels my fellow adventurers. :roll:

14. xineizer

xineizer Member

Just curious... as I was playing the demo (again for the nth time) last night, I was wondering...

In the actual game, is it possible to upload a custom portrait of the character? Also, I wonder how much better is it to customize a character in the actual game? In other words, can I make giants and/or "little people" in the actual game?

15. cutiepanda

cutiepanda Member

Hi xineizer,

You can use a custom portrait on ur own server or stand alone game, but for it to be seen on a persistent server hosted by someone, the portrait has to be imported into the server by the DM (or else others will either see a pure white blank portrait or a generic one set by Bioware which is the dark bald guy).

Yes you can make custom races although I have no idea how some servers do it (prob using custom scripts)... the server I used to play on had a guy with a dragon as his char while someone else had a lizard man.

There are lots of possibilities since much of the development tools are opened to content builders and players... although they're PC only for now.

16. xineizer

xineizer Member

Does this have any relation the "portraits" folder I saw in the Neverwinter Nights folder? I opened it and it was empty...

I was actually hoping to be able to get a copy of one of the portraits there... There's one female elf portrait I really liked... nice art! Wanted to change my avatar to it.. :lol:

17. ginoledesma

ginoledesma Guest

You can download portraits from NWVault. Put the downloaded portaits into the Portraits folder and then select away. I'm not sure if they disabled it in the Tech Demo (though I don't see any reason why they should).

As for custom race models, well, there's only so much you can do, though. And I don't find the "Sub-Race" setting really all that useful.

18. xineizer

xineizer Member

Wow! Great! Thanks!
    That's okay... I got my NWN from the US already! And best of all... my friend said that I don't need to pay him the full price... just pay half na lang daw... yippee!!! :lol:

19. xineizer

xineizer Member

Addicted...

Geez! Am so addicted to this game... I'm even starting to dream of it...

I started using a Monk, but didn't feel the power even at Monk level 5... now, I'm playing it again as a Cleric... Chana, my female cleric (she's also my avatar), is now on level 5... this game is so hard!!! But, I'm enjoying it... :lol:

BTW, several of my officemates and myself are planning to put up a Linux-based server here in the office and make it available via the Internet. We're planning to use it as an NWN server here...

Anybody interested as well? ;)

20. ginoledesma

ginoledesma Guest

Prepare to be bombarded with some fans. ;)