NEVER upgrade your iPhone if you live in the philippines - here's why !

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPod Touch' started by Technobilder, May 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Technobilder

Technobilder Member

Ok I actually want to upgrade my iPhone 5S to a newer one as it gets real slow after now 3 years.
    So I decided to get me a refurbished iPhone 6S - thats the best solution.

But now I tell you why that is a totally WRONG decision - or only to do if you have all the time in the world - or servants you can order to do - or money ...

My iPhone 5S has iOS 10.3.1 installed - that was already a pain to upgrade as Apples servers are a pain in the ass in the philippines - and usually theres no more performant download available for the ipsw files.

But my iPhone 6S comes with only iOS 10.2.1 installed - wow must have in in the shelves a long time ...

Now I cant just make a backup of my old iPhone in iTunes and install from that - as iTunes doesnt allow that if iOS versions are different ...

Ok - updating the new 6S - download will "just" take 2 days for 671MB ... LOL APPLE

And as my iPhone 5S has only 10.3.1 installed I need additional 177MB to upgrade this to 10.3.2 also. - some more 12 hours ....

Ofcourse Apple doesnt supply you with a download link where you can RESUME - so in case my download breaks up in the next 2 days im fucked up ....
    And ofcourse Apple doesnt supply a torrent for this - why should they use STATE OF THE ART technology ???

And because the philippines isnt worthy enough for Apple they dont have Apple Stores here - I COULD go to the iStore in the mall and get the upgrades there - but sure I like to give away my money like water - and I sure like a guy in the iStore getting access to my 5S with all my personal data on it ... LOL

So now Im here for the next 2+ days - downloading upgrades and hopefully dont get stuck ...

But what then ... Ok I will keep the 6S for at least 2 years - and I can only hope that
    - internet to Apple gets way faster then now until mid 2019
    - Apple to open some Apple Stores in all the mayor cities in the philippines until mid 2019
    - or Android is far better then and I can switch .....

Apple without Steve really sucks !!!

2. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

Well that's really very harsh, to say the least. Buy we actually live here in the Philippines and believe it or not, we endure these things day in and day out. And not like what you'd expect we do survive.

And if about 68% of us here are blessed with an iPhone in some form and model and go thru the same arduous process as anyone endures in the country then a little gripe from us is all right in the end.

But not that enough to flame this country for what it is. Hey, we do love the Philippines. It is as worthy a country as we want it to be. Because we endure...

amieldh, potpot2, catalysmic and 9 others like this.
  3. rednaxela

rednaxela Active Member

I agree with you sir Hitme64. The TS just doesnt know what he's talking about. For all we know, he hasn't even been to the US or EU so he has no idea what he is comparing his own country from. I just came back from a 3 week vacay from California and boy how I missed Manila! There's really no place like home!

Btw, i can easily download Apple updates to my iphone on my home ISP which only takes minutes. So 2 days for you ? Sobrang OA nun!

Pupkin, potpot2 and hitme64 like this.
  4. ma5te12m1nd

ma5te12m1nd Active Member

Change your DNS server, that's all! No need for this.

hitme64 likes this.
  5. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

hohum. that's like saying, "never upgrade to windows 10", just because you're still on windows 95.

broad sweeping statements like "updating the new 6S - download will "just" take 2 days for 671MB ... LOL APPLE", "Apple without Steve really sucks !!!", etc., say more about the speaker than the vendor.

it made me do a double take on the username, to check if it was trump talking. ;)

lsalapare, Dipp, Sunil_K and 5 others like this.
  6. penmanila

penmanila The Pinoy Penman
    Staff Member

hi, technobilder--it seems to me you're stuck in a corner of the country (or of cebu) with a very weak or poor internet connection. if i were on some island in palawan or mindoro i'd be screaming the same thing (it's happened to me). nothing to do, i'd suspect, with apple servers or steve jobs--the situation was probably just the same or worse when he was around. even if you had an official apple store in cebu (and, for the record, there's none in manila either) you'd still be in the same boat--dependent on that store's internet connection, and handing your phone over with all its personal details to someone you don't know. if i were in your situation my best option would be to find a place with a strong free connection--maybe a hotel lobby--and do the update then. just thinking aloud and trying to help--good luck! ;)

marcalbar, potpot2, lsalapare and 8 others like this.
  7. Technobilder

Technobilder Member

Im NOT blaming the Philippines for that APPLE problem !

Im german national - so I know about Internet.
    I actually use GLOBE and get at least 4Mbit - only to Apple servers its ****** - and I changed DNS already with NO luck.

I wouldn't be complaining IF
    - I could use a download link for the ipsw files that supports RESUME - but APPLE DOESNT OFFER THAT
    - I could use a TORRENT link (thats state of the art for downloading today) - BUT APPLE DOESNT OFFER THAT

I use Apple because even without Steve its still better than windows (have a old Win7 pc here and boy Im lucky its running so I dont change ...)

Does anyone of you know a download link that is more fast - I actually use https://ipsw.me/#!/download but even this just makes it 1 day 13 hours ...
    Or maybe a torrent link ?

8. bacchus_3

bacchus_3 PhilMUG Addict Member

I've visited a lot of Starbucks shops and they have Globe's fast internet service thru Wifi for an hour. Drop by one Starbucks shop and download all your updates in that hour. All your problems solved. You just have to be resourceful and know your way in this country.

MFD888 and rnav18 like this.
  9. JMacalinao

JMacalinao Active Member

@penmanila is right - in the Philippines, location is a major factor. If you're in Manila with fast residential internet or even in an area with great LTE coverage, you'll be able to download Apple firmware (either from OTA updates or ipsw.me) as fast as the rated speed of your connection. But otherwise it's hit-or-miss - my province in Northern Luzon has LTE and yet it couldn't even stream YouTube most of the time. Sometimes it can but it often jumps between 720p and 144p. :D

Regarding ipsw.me - the download links there direct to Apple's servers as well, so if you're not having having luck with OTA updates, unfortunately you won't have any luck there either. I guess the best thing you can do (if you really can't find a location that has fast internet) is to use a download manager. In Windows I've tried "Free Download Manager" and it works with ipsw.me links, can properly pause/resume, and can do simultaneous connections for faster downloads. On the Mac, I've only tried Safari; it also supports resuming downloads, but that feature is also a hit-or-miss thing. I have no experience with other download managers for the Mac yet.

10. guwapito

guwapito Well-Known Member

My first question is...where in the philippines are you located? Because the connection speed is different in places (probably no LTE in remote areas) if thats the case, then i suggest that you do your upgrade when you are in manila. Naia terminal 3 has a 100mbps connection that you can connect to.

Not really a life and death situation when you are unable to update immediately...

11. neilrg

neilrg PhilMUG Addict Member

Hi there. Internet speeds can get really awful in some places in the country. But here, let us help. Apple actually has direct links to their IPSW, although they do not publicly offers this (I rely on Apple blogs to get these links). For your iPhone 5s and 6s (or 6s Plus), here are the links to their respective IPSW files, you can pause and continue downloading these using Google Chrome or another file downloader such as IDM (Internet Download Manager, this is a paid software though).

iPhone 5s - http://appldnld.apple.com/ios10.3.2...33/iPhone_4.0_64bit_10.3.2_14F89_Restore.ipsw
    iPhone 6s - http://appldnld.apple.com/ios10.3.2...8FB7FE33/iPhone_4.7_10.3.2_14F89_Restore.ipsw
    iPhone 6s Plus - http://appldnld.apple.com/ios10.3.2...8FB7FE33/iPhone_5.5_10.3.2_14F89_Restore.ipsw

Take note that these IPSW file are much bigger in size (around 2GB each) compared to the OTA update so it may take you a while downloading these.

isaak, gadgetmonger, raypin and 2 others like this.
  12. isaak

isaak Active Member

I thought the thread was one of those click-bait articles =)

13. Hero33

Hero33 PhilMUG Addict Member

I agree with the suggestions. Find a hotel lobby with decent internet speed, have a meal or a cup of coffee, then upgrade!

Or look for a friend in manila and enjoy our fibr with 200-500mbps :D

14. tomangelo

tomangelo Active Member

Go to NAIA or any airport close to you, they have fast internet connection there. :)

15. mongkee

mongkee PhilMUG Addict Member

Wow... So much disdain as to really advice everybody NEVER to update an iOS device here in the good 'ol PH... o_O

So my first sincere advice is to... relax bro... I think I speak for everybody when I say we've all had problems updating an iOS device or two at one point or another. But guess what... like everything else, there are ways to make it work

May second the suggestion of looking into .ipsw files? Wait... am I even allowed to mention that? But what the heck, I'd risk a warning from our mods this time around just to help you out on this one, seeing how much you've got your panties up in a really tight bunch :cool:

Cheers bro :)

16. RastaSega

RastaSega Member

really? never? LOL!

bottomline your internet connection sucks.

if i were you i'd upgrade my internet connection first before upgrading my phone.

i often use iclarified to get a direct link to the IPSW

17. jcsantamarina

jcsantamarina Buzz Ambassador
    Staff Member

Hey guys! Since there has been no response anymore from TS, I think we should close this thread already.

TS, I think there would have been better ways to share and air out your concern and I believe you would have received help instead of contempt.

mongkee likes this.
  18. makinao

makinao Active Member

Are you using your browser, or a download accelerator (e.g. iGetter)?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.