Netscape end of days

Discussion in 'OS X and OS X Apps' started by kaffee, Dec 31, 2007.

1. kaffee

kaffee Active Member

Netscape:End of Support for Netscape web browsers
    [​IMG]

BBC noted
    Web icon set to be discontinued
    "...Although a core team has continued to work on the secure browser - it is currently on version nine - AOL has decided to finally pull the plug.

"After 1 February, there will be no more active product support for Navigator nine, or any previous Netscape Navigator browser," wrote Mr Drapeau.

"We feel it's the right time to end development of Netscape branded browsers, hand the reins fully to Mozilla and encourage Netscape users to adopt Firefox," he said"

On the Windows PC computer, we pretty much resisted IE and stuck with Netscape for as long as we could, occasionally pulling up IE only for visitors or clients who were comfortable with it than Netscape (or Firefox, for that matter).
    Of course when we switched, it was just either Firefox or Safari (Opera in some cases, like to check on browser compatibilities). Just the same, Netscape played a big role in shaping much of how our internet experience is like today.

2. Juicyy

Juicyy Member

the first time i started to use the internet, around 1998 or 1999, netscape was one of the first browsers i tried but never stuck with it.

rip though.

3. rbacosta

rbacosta Member

Thanks Netscape!!! We will miss you. :(

4. no_read_no_write

its not a happy new year then for netscape ;p

5. kentamayo

kentamayo Active Member

NOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

RIP

Netscape Navigator

:(

6. dralnux

dralnux Member

why naman :(

7. mhfrancisco

mhfrancisco Member

sayang.....

8. manolop10

manolop10 Active Member

Cool, Netscape kinda makes me nostalgic of the dial-up days of the internet. Haha1

9. Maccess

Maccess Active Member

It's more because Netscape evolved into an open source project under the Mozilla Foundation, spawning the Mozilla Suite, Firefox, and Camino, as well as other projects Thunderbird (mail), Sunbird (Calendar), and more.

The closed source Netscape became redundant as it evolved into merely a branded version of Mozilla's browser.

I wonder what they'll do with the domain though, that seems to have some value, capable into evolving into a very popular portal and SAAS website.

10. toyM

toyM Member

Whoa! And all this time I thought Netscape had already faded away or reincarnated as Firefox. I did have a lot happy browsing days and nights with Netscape in my earlier PC days. "Twas my first browser, too. Anyway, so long, Netscape! Won't really miss you much with Firefox around.

11. jackfrost

jackfrost Member

it is truly sad, i too, first experienced the graphics based web using netscape navigator, it was truly amazing then.. it is sad that the first ones who showed us how the web should be viewed as come to an end

12. taongyaman

taongyaman Member

As T3 magazine say - because all things must pass...