Netflix's Daredevil (2015): Great show!

Discussion in 'Media and content' started by Adel, Apr 11, 2015.

1. LeoCastillo

LeoCastillo Maestro
    Staff Member

It seems like D'Onofrio chose to play Kingpin as a "man-child" with some kind of developmental disorder. The lack of eye contact, the emotions bubbling under the surface, the social awkwardness point to something similar to Asperger's.

Leo

2. Godfather

Godfather PhilMUG Addict Member

^ Definitely a departure from the late Michael Clarke Duncan approach which was a straight out cocky pimp. Artistic license I guess.

Just finished the series and I must say your "bubbling under the surface" comment is spot on. In the final episode all that pent up anger, trauma, raw emotions finally exploded in that boss fight scene.

This was a great, grounded series that brought realistic surroundings, real normal people to the Marvel Cinematic Universe. The execution was subdued to the point of sometimes being mundane and boring, but that's just how slow real life is. I really liked Daredevil.

Showrunner Steven DeKnight won't be back for season two though, so I hope the other two writers can compensate, or maybe take DD into an even better direction.

3. bowman60

bowman60 Active Member

I actually liked D'onofrio's version of kingpin. There's a certain elegance to his awkwardness and that subdued behavior finally blowing over during his last fight with DD made it more climactic. There's also that clear semblance of consistency with how he was portrayed as a child, the significant events which transpired which led him to be as he was when he finally was successful as an adult. He was shy, awkward, he kept to himself and yes, definitely a person with with a social/developmental disorder.

4. ronnel0918

ronnel0918 PhilMUG Addict Member

Finished episode 12. Will watch the finale tomorrow. :)

That parkour move in episode 12 when he jump-flip (28:44-28:46) was GIF-worthy! Hope someone can share it here. :D

5. LeoCastillo

LeoCastillo Maestro
    Staff Member

I got curious and decided to read up on D'Onofrio's background. Turn out he has strong ties to autism, and in an interview said that he has "personal knowledge" of it and thinks he may have been identified as someone having special needs when he was a child. There's unconfirmed reports that his son Elias has autism which can also explain his advocacy on the subject.

Interesting way to build awareness on the subject and how he plays it into Wilson Fisk.

Leo

6. Sunil_K

Sunil_K PhilMUG Addict Member

No love for Foggy? The actor who played foggy did a very good job IMO. His lightheartedness was a breath of fresh air in the dark show.

Nelson and Murdock, the 2 best damn avocados in hells kitchen!

7. kinse_44

kinse_44 PhilMUG Addict Member

Foggy's cool. I remember him more from being one-half of the Bash Brothers in the Mighty Ducks movies.

8. oaba09

oaba09 Member

Currently at episode 9......deborah ann woll is gorgeous! Im totally hooked on the series!

9. luis1204

luis1204 Member

Stuck on episode 10 hehe

10. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

i have started watching this after having gotten the whole season 1 (straight from the US of A)...

in my mind the greatest fight scene ever on TV would be daredevil versus the child traffickers in that narrow hallway, albeit even rivaling that great long take scene in true detective...

i only saw it on youtube and have not yet come upon it on the few episodes i have started watching but definitely this was what made me want to watch this series...

11. Godfather

Godfather PhilMUG Addict Member

For me naman, while I was watching that long fight scene, this thought kept going through my mind: Punisher would have gotten to the kid in like 3 seconds. He would have shot all the traffickers in the head.

Daredevil and Batman, two vigilantes who want to put fear in the hearts of men but are unwilling to do what men fear most. These are the top three fears of men :

3. Being shot in the head
    2. Being shot in the groin
    1. And more horrific than anything else... Kris Aquino

If I were a vigilante, I would use my best, gruffest, Bale Batman voice,

"You better stop what you're doing...

or pahahalikan kita kay Krissy...

tandaan mo iyan darla kakaloka ka."

12. AthanWylde

AthanWylde Active Member

Hopefully season 2 shows a bit more Karen. Preferably in lingerie.

13. wulf

wulf Well-Known Member

finally finished the season and, it is, one of the best i've seen in a while! casting was really spot on... except for d'onofrio. i found his halting speech delivery (especially the chinese lines) particularly distracting. he was the only one who i felt was really "acting." everyone else was a natural fit, perfect for the real-world gritty theme of the show.
    anyone else disappointed with the costume design? i know they wanted a 'realistic' version, but the black vigilante costume actually looked better to me. but maybe i'm just nitpicking. can't wait for 2016!

14. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

the showrunners are saying that the suit will actually evolve as season 2 moves on...frankly, i find it quite distracting unlike the ninja suit murdock usually used...

then again, i would have preferred if daredevil would refrain from doing those backflips and sideflips when fighting and just engage in no-hold's-barred MMA-style break-their-jaw fisticuffs...really, it takes the cake sometimes...

other than fisk's cheesy dialogues and the lack of "game of thrones-like" shock tactics, this was an exceptional series, one of the best in MCU...

15. manager

manager Active Member

16. kinse_44

kinse_44 PhilMUG Addict Member

You see him as a ninja, but I see him as a crew member of a pirate ship because of that skull cap. LOL.

17. ronnel0918

ronnel0918 PhilMUG Addict Member

First Daredevil Season 2 Set Photos Feature Charlie Cox & Elden Henson

The first set photos from season 2 of Netflix's Daredevil have surfaced online.

Today, photographer Shelly Kay has snapped some wonderful shots of Charlie Cox ('Matt Murdock') and Elden Henson ('Foggy Nelson') filming scenes together in East Harlem. Apparently, the working title for season 2 is "Ringside."

Check them out below.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

pels_17 and bowman60 like this.
  18. bugs

bugs PhilMUG Addict Member

19. magkono

magkono Member