Netflix Philippines

Discussion in 'Media and content' started by Adarna, Jan 7, 2016.

1. Ejaxene

Ejaxene Well-Known Member

@Juice I pretty much readied myself for any gulat moments successful for a lot of episodes but that one, I did what the sisters did haha

#1421 Ejaxene, Nov 28, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
    Juice likes this.
  2. Ghibli

Ghibli Well-Known Member

I enjoyed this as well. As a fan of the Coen Brothers' direction and writing, they rarely disappoint so when I first heard they are making a western anthology film for Netflix, I was so excited.

The most that I was fond of was the first short film "The Ballad of Buster Scruggs" followed by the "The Gal who got rattled". The least that I liked was the last one - The mortal remains as it was too dialogue-driven for my taste and it ended abruptly without going through a climax. Overall, it is worthy of a recommendation, truly one of Netflix's gems.

Godfather likes this.
  3. Aargh

Aargh Well-Known Member

All of my viewing history is gone! What on earth happened???

4. Sunil_K

Sunil_K PhilMUG Addict Member

Ultraman!! (April 2019)

Dekra, hitme64, macdiver and 4 others like this.
  5. p.pipster

p.pipster PhilMUG Addict Member

I knew I can rely on the philmugger hivemind to point me to the right direction.

I know... I know... could have googled it for myself and let it end there. But then where would we if we all just found out things on our own and avoid any discussion? Which brings me...

I think what threw me off is that the preceding stories were easy on the eyes and the mind. Straight forward enough just like any other western movie or some short story you read in books. And then it switches to twilight zone territory (sorry, redundant) without warning. I am probably alone in this... but we're in Netflix, the place to go to get a quick fix.

But then again, the Coen brothers. That should have been a warning in and of itself.

vtf, hitme64 and Godfather like this.
  6. suigeneris

suigeneris Well-Known Member

If we’re talking about the same scene, I was watching it on my phone through airpods. Family’s not too big on horror movies so I’m forced to watch it on my phone. :D

When that scene happened I cursed “P______ I____!!!!!” so loud that made everyone jump and shout. Almost threw my phone too! :ROFLMAO::LOL: Fun times!

Ejaxene, raypin, ronjet and 1 other person like this.
  7. ronnel0918

ronnel0918 PhilMUG Addict Member

8. leninmac

leninmac PhilMUG Addict Member

Dumb move. They should have cancelled Jessica Jones instead of Dare Devil. Maybe this is Netflix way of moving away from Marvel licensed characters. We'll probably see DareDevil in Disney's streaming service, hopefully it wont be reboot.

9. eag

eag PhilMUG Addict Member

It was a nice change from the usual movies I find on Netflix.
    SPOILER ALERT: The last short story seemed to imply that the other three passengers were already on their way to the afterlife and whatever awaited them at the “hotel” in Fort Morgan.

Ghibli likes this.
  10. Ghibli

Ghibli Well-Known Member

I honestly thought the three passengers were the targets of the assassins and they are to be killed within the hotel once they step in. It was an ominous episode, ironic that it was the only episode that didn't really feature someone dying per se but it's pretty much about death and its inevitability.

11. marckieMD

marckieMD Member

Just started Homeland

Aargh likes this.
  12. eag

Inevitability is the right word. Hence they could not get the coachman to stop, as he never stops

Ghibli likes this.
  13. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

I just watched the episode where Buster meets his demise. It was swift and invigorating.

But I found the episode on the Indian Attack to be unfortunate, its ending dark almost like the ending in The Mist...

14. eag

The whole film felt like a Black Mirror Cowboy edition anthology

Sunil_K and hitme64 like this.
  15. Godfather

Godfather PhilMUG Addict Member

CAM

Speaking of Black Mirror type movies, this one fits right in. A cam girl (online stripper and performer) sees her channel performing shows starring her, even though she herself is offline.

I am unfamiliar with the world of cam girls (no really, not my jam), i.e. the modern internet iteration of peepshows, but this movie shows the performers' world: the money, the darkness, the gimmicry and desperation to be the best and the highest earning. It was written by a former cam girl herself, so there's a feel of authenticity to the movie.

The ending was a bit of a letdown, because it did little by way of explanations, but it does leave viewers wondering and trying to coming up with their own conclusions long after they've finished the movie.

hitme64, Juice, shaft and 3 others like this.
  16. Sir iAco

Sir iAco PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

Here’s What Comes To Netflix In December 2018
    Netflix is set to have a particularly great month for movies.

huffpost.com

hitme64, ronjet and JohannChua like this.
  17. Dgame12345

Dgame12345 Member

Bakit po kaya ang mga movies sa netflix (except for the netflix originals) hindi po naka 4k or dolby vision? Napansin ko karamihan ng naka 4k or dolby vision,lang sa netflix ay un mga original shows nila...

18. shaft

shaft Well-Known Member

Couldnt find anything really good. Ended up trying out Travelers. Finished 2 seasons and glad season 3 will be up by dec 14. Its a nice concept just ignore some loopholes and go along with the movie. Nice character development as it progresses. But i think what kept me really going was Marcy/Marcie? Im hoping season 3 is more revealing.

Sunil_K likes this.
  19. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm...that’s because films are shot in different formats....35 mm for older films, 70 mm for iMax, 2K ,4k etc. There is no universal standard. With original Netflix content , some are shot in 4K. Many of the Hollywood films we see in the silverscreen are converted to 4K or whatever format is suitable, once they reach TV, or in this case, streaming syndication. Some streaming service does a better job than others. For instance, I prefer Hulu over Sling TV and Netflix or Amazon Prime Video. The video quality is fantastic, even though it is not 4K. It is very clear and crisp. The difference is palpable.

Example: I bought from VUDU (buy or rent service similar to Apple’s iTunes) the 8-film collection of Harry Potter. It was supposed to be in 4K/UHD. I was quite disappointed because the video quality is just above HD quality. It was grainy specially in the dimly-lit scenes. Another example was Avengers: Infinity Wars. Also in 4K. Video quality is fantastic. Point is sometimes the conversion process is not always uniform or consistent.

If you want to limit yourself to 4K quality, I suggest investing in UHD/4K blu-rays or just blu-rays with an upscaling UHD player, with all the bells and whisles like HDR 10 or Dolby Vision. Then invest in a proper audio system that takes advantage of Atmos (minimum configuration is 2 mains, 2 satellites, 1 center, 1 God speaker or ceiling, 1 sub) and the appropriate Atmos-capable AV amplifier to control it). OR its equivalent. No stupid soundbar.

Streaming services are sub-par in terms of video quality even though they claim it to be 4K, and subject to the quality and speed of your home broadband. So, go for the best by buying UHD Blu- rays.

Or, stick with Netflix, warts and all, for a budget-friendly flat rate. :p

#1439 raypin, Dec 10, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
  20. joseph_camela

joseph_camela Active Member