Netflix Philippines

Discussion in 'Media and content' started by Adarna, Jan 7, 2016.

1. Godfather

Godfather PhilMUG Addict Member

The Haunting of Bly Manor was a disappointment for me. Thanks 2020.

It was watchable, but boring. Even the scares were uninteresting, and hardly at par with the first season which had deliciously creepy scenes. Bly was ok to keep the audience guessing, but eventually the repetitive motions felt too much like fillers. Nine episodes felt like a long walk when it could have easily been told in five.

Maybe Hill House set the bar too high, but Mike Flanagan was floundering on this one. Some parts I wondered if the production was writing it on the fly.

I think I'll rewatch Hill House again just to clean the palate from Bly's mediocre aftertaste.

Sunil_K and ronjet like this.
  2. leninmac

leninmac PhilMUG Addict Member

3. leninmac

The Haunting of Bly Manor 7/10 - Initially thought this is a sequel to or at least in the same cinematic universe as Hill House. What with several actors from Hill House appearing in major roles ( Henry Thomas, Carla Gugino, etc. ). Admittedly not as good as Hill House but there’s still enough scary, spooky scenes to keep you glued to your seats. A bingeworthy series if you have time to spare.
    Nitpick : The British and Irish accents are a little off. The actor who played Peter Quint in particular, his Irish accent is a little over the top, reminds me of Mike Myers’ Shrek accent. :LOL::LOL:

ronjet likes this.
  4. Godfather

Yes Oliver Jackson-Cohen's take on the Scottish accent got bad reviews from Scots and English alike. Which is weird since he's an English actor, and generally, English actors can mimic the Scottish or Irish brogue quite accurately and vice versa. For example James McAvoy and Ewan McGregor both speak with a startlingly hard Scottish accent in real life, but they both act and speak convincingly as Englishmen. Michael Fassbender and Pierce Brosnan who are Irish also hide their accents quite solidly.

Anyway, there are others who took issue with Jackson-Cohen's take on the Scottish accent :
    Netflix's The Haunting of Bly Manor leaves Scots bemused with Peter Quint's accent

But the real atrocity is Henry Thomas' British accent. Maybe because he is very well known to be an American actor (since ET), but his take on the British accent was grating and almost hilarious.

ronjet and leninmac like this.
  5. leninmac

Yup. Actually thought that I have a preconceived bias because I know he’s ( Henry Thomas) American but his British accent is a little over the top as well. Some actors just have difficulty with foreign accents even great ones. Remember Russell Crowe in A Beautiful Mind, an Oscar-worthy performance but he’s Aussie accent combined with his attempt at mimicking southern American accent ( if I’m not mistaken) just turned me off.

ronjet and Godfather like this.
  6. kinse_44

kinse_44 PhilMUG Addict Member

Adam Sandler/Happy Madison has a history of bad Netflix original films but somehow the silly Hubie Halloween isn't a waste of time. With how many notable characters Adam Sandler has created, he can create his own Sandman Cinematic Universe.

JohannChua and ronjet like this.
  7. Adarna

Adarna Well-Known Member

Just finished English-dialgue Filipino movie Saving Sally. It's way better than General Luna.

While searching for that movie's trailer I was surprised to see another Filipino animated film premiering on Netflix soon called Hayop Ka! | You Animal

#2347 Adarna, Oct 16, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2020
    JohannChua and ronjet like this.
  8. ronjet

ronjet PhilMUG Addict Member

Uh-oh! We made the opposite. we watched Hill House before we plan to watch Bly Manor. Anyway, I think, we can still enjoy this as we’re watching with my nieces who happened to like watching something like this. :)
    Hubie can wait for a day or two. ;)

Godfather likes this.
  9. Godfather

That's ok. Apart from sharing the same director and most of the cast, (and the first three words in their titles), the two stories are independent of each other.

My wife only watches these kind of shows with me on the periphery, and she still managed to get nightmares after Bly Manor. Haha! :p Boy was she mad at me.

For me, there were parts of Bly that I had to rewatch because I actually fell asleep. That never happened with Hill House.

ronjet likes this.
  10. kinse_44

kinse_44 PhilMUG Addict Member

I agree 100%. Would you believe it took them 12 years to finish it?

It was the best thing that I watched over at iWant. Thank goodness it's now on Netflix.

ronjet likes this.
  11. Adarna

Adarna Well-Known Member

I would not have mind lending them my Macs. I read at their Reddit AMA that they used hackintoshes for a commercial endeavor.

I would like their outfit to do another one but without the annoying soft lens filter.

ronjet likes this.
  12. greta87

greta87 PhilMUG Addict Member

Rian Ramos was still a kid in that movie.. it wasnt bad... but 12 years is too long of a production time to feature teens as your stars.. good thing noone got pregnant during the shoot... or did they? ha ha.

Godfather and ronjet like this.
  13. john.roque

john.roque Active Member

Any Trekkies here? Star Trek: Discovery S3’s first episode is up and it looks promising!

leninmac likes this.
  14. leninmac

Hmm. I'm a Trekkie but I'm just not a fan of Star Trek Discovery. There's another ongoing Star Trek series that I prefer. Picard.

P

kyubi, shaft, Godfather and 1 other person like this.
  15. abielbad

abielbad Active Member

Unsolved Mysteries Volume 2 to be shown tomorrow - Oct.19.

Have also been binge watching the original Unsolved Mysteries in Youtube. Also availabe in Amazon Prime.

ronjet and onefour like this.
  16. Godfather

A Trekkie here too. Discovery was such a disappointment I stopped watching it a long time ago. The unbelievable storylines (even for Star Trek) were too much to take. It's a soap opera drama anthology series slightly disguised as a sci-fi adventure show. Too much drippy drama, not enough action, and the way they destroyed Klingon canon is just unforgivable.

The only good thing to come out of it is Captain Pike and his new show Strange New Worlds. It is assumed to be a prequel of Pike's adventures before Kirk took over the Enterprise. Sounds very promising, and it seems to be more along the lines of The Original Series. Production has been hampered by the pandemic though, so no opening date yet.

Just look at that set! Super duper retro!

[​IMG]

When is Star Trek Strange New Worlds series on TV? Release date, trailer and cast

Attached Files:

#2356 Godfather, Oct 19, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2020
    shaft and leninmac like this.
  17. leninmac

The Trial of the Chicago 7 8/10 - Stellar cast, Excellent storytelling. Best film of the year.

18. eag

eag PhilMUG Addict Member

Yup, strong cast, and great Aaron Sorkin storytelling. Lousy title hehe

19. eyemac

eyemac Active Member

Rebecca was worth my 2hrs last night, what's your experience?

jayparalejas and ronjet like this.
  20. Ghibli

Ghibli PhilMUG Addict Member

Just finished watching Bly Manor.

While it does have some scary but intriguing elements infused in this Gothic ghost romance story, it never really reaches the same heights of terror nor achieves the same cohesive drama that made its predecessor - Hill House - a compelling haunting success. Some of the stories have been drawn out to their very thin capacities, and that it felt dragging and repetitive in some parts. However the authentic mystery, characterizations as well as humanizing and dehumanizing the ghosts and their preforms with their guilt, failures and regrets permeating through time and memory ultimately kept me emotionally invested in the story. Such stories told in a glacially paced manner would definitely test the patience of some of its viewers. Overall, I did enjoy the series somewhat particularly how ghosts are defined in this story, memories that echo yet erode through time, made alive by those people who love or haunted by it. It's just unfortunate that the path taken to tell the story was too long, makes it an underwhelming experience as well.

5/10.

Godfather and ronjet like this.