Netflix Philippines

Discussion in 'Media and content' started by Adarna, Jan 7, 2016.

1. eag

eag PhilMUG Addict Member

Yup, I had no interest in it. But because the reviews are so horrible, now I have to see for myself how bad it could be

2. pochiman

pochiman PhilMUG Addict Member

Contrary to most, I really love Space Force!
    Can't wait for Season 2!

Mykolant, eomasilungan and hitme64 like this.
  3. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

I’m hyped about The Old Guard, and Charlize Theron, of course. The graphic novel on which it’s based is sold out, unfortunately. Heard that it was true to the novel.

Mykolant and ronjet like this.
  4. Sunil_K

Sunil_K PhilMUG Addict Member

5. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

^Truth be told, I didn’t find it funny. Will Ferrell’s comedic range is getting too old and predictable. Like Downhill.

Sunil_K likes this.
  6. lamski

lamski PhilMUG Addict Member

Reminds me of Holmes & Watson - it got bad reviews. But when I watched it, I actually found it funny. Lowered expectations is the key. :D

greta87, Sunil_K and hitme64 like this.
  7. leninmac

leninmac PhilMUG Addict Member

Reminds me of Blades of Glory.

2FCF80C2-21EC-4AE0-A709-16EE01820385.jpeg

#2207 leninmac, Jun 13, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2020
    Sunil_K, ronjet and Mykolant like this.
  8. bugs

bugs PhilMUG Addict Member

^^^ I love some of Will’s movies like Blades of Glory, Anchorman, Elf, & Megamind.

Dark Season 3 is coming!

Sunil_K and ronjet like this.
  9. Mykolant

Mykolant PhilMUG Addict Member

Between Down Under and the Great White North
    Have you guys seen Jokoy's latest Netflix Special, "Jokoy: In His Element"?

I rate it a 6/10, only because it didn't have all Jokoy material. About 40% of the show was devoted to Fil-Am talents that Jokoy brought back to perform in the Philippines for the first time.

It may be a noble move that show how proud he is of his heritage, pero I was hoping to get more laughs from his bits. It was less than an hour show, they could have filled another 45-minutes of Jokoy doing straight stand-up!! Sayang!

greta87 and JohannChua like this.
  10. kinse_44

kinse_44 PhilMUG Addict Member

We went to that live taping back in January. From what I remembered from the show, I think the show took 2 hours, then in the final product they shrunk it to less than an hour. The sets of his friends were cut short in the final product. Then of course Jo Koy’s bloopers got edited out. He kept messing up his lines.

11. ronjet

ronjet PhilMUG Addict Member

One of my favorite series now!

12. Quest4dgoodlife

Quest4dgoodlife Active Member

Also watched it live in solaire. The show is indeed 2 hours. Some of the jokes by the fil-am comedians were cut because they weren’t good. Especially the fat guy. The front act / pre-show comedian (American-Mexican) I forget his name was really good but they couldn’t show him because he wasn’t Filipino.

13. Theus

Theus PhilMUG Addict Member

We’re halfway thru Season 2 of Tokyo Series. While each story stands on its own, you’d appreciate each episode better if you start with Midnight Diner first for back stories of recurring characters (Yakuza members Ryu & Gen, Katagiri/Kogure, Marilyn, Chu, Saya, Kosuzu, the ‘3 sisters’, etc).

Each Season finale is special when all characters dine together on New Year’s eve.

14. Mykolant

Mykolant PhilMUG Addict Member

Between Down Under and the Great White North
    Of the three Fil-Ams that went on stage, I rated the last one (wearing overalls) as being more polished with his bit, albeit still lacking quite the punch. The first guy, Andrew, didn't really impress much. The middle one was pretty okay, but still hilaw.

I thought we would get new material from Jokoy, but then very disappointed that it didn't happen. It should have been all-Jokoy if you ask me. Maybe he's saving it for another Netflix special.

15. oldtimer

oldtimer Active Member

I agree. He pitched a variety show, and we got a typical Pinoy variety show - bland. Was expecting more stand-up time from Jo Koy, the others were meh.

Mykolant and greta87 like this.
  16. p.pipster

p.pipster PhilMUG Addict Member

I'm liking it so far. 3 episodes in.

Mykolant likes this.
  17. GilGrissom

GilGrissom Well-Known Member

Extracurricular

Koreans seem to have mastered this genre of mixed genres. Dark, comedy, action, suspense? You don't know where its going but you enjoy the ride.

#2217 GilGrissom, Jun 16, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2020
    raypin and ronjet like this.
  18. Godfather

Godfather PhilMUG Addict Member

Da 5 Bloods. 9/10

It's a reunion of sorts for The Wire alumni Clarke Peters and Isiah Whitlock Jr. Whitlock has a famous catch phrase from that TV series, when he says "sheeeeiiitt" and it became the actor's trademark (like Arnie's A'll be bach) and he sometimes incorporates it in the other roles he plays. I really laughed out loud when he said "sheeeeiiittt" in this movie. Hahaha! So meta. And then when he was speaking to the French girl, the way he mistakenly pronounced Champs Elysees is really hilarious. :) Also stealing the show is Delroy Lindo's performance. He is really one of the most uncelebrated and under-appreciated actors of all time.

I enjoy Spike Lee movies in general, especially when race is part of the theme. Add history and Vietnam war and the 60s, and you got me hooked.

After watching this, I rewatched Spike Lee's 1992 Denzel starrer Malcolm X. Which led me to binge watch :

Who Killed Malcolm X. 10/10

What a terrific series. It's repetitive at some parts, but by the end it will have you seething at really how unfair racism is in the US. It's extremely timely given the Black Lives Matter revolution that's going on right now around the world, and I wish the young generation would watch this.

19. macxchange

macxchange Well-Known Member

I was looking for Parts Unknown of Anthony Bourdain as I saw on an article that they will be adding all seasons of the show. I guess it's for US viewers only.

20. kinse_44

kinse_44 PhilMUG Addict Member

It's not yet on Netflix PH. It's on Netflix UK/Ireland. For US, it's on HBO Max.

macxchange and JohannChua like this.