Netflix Philippines

Discussion in 'Media and content' started by Adarna, Jan 7, 2016.

1. lamski

lamski PhilMUG Addict Member

Tom Papa: You're Doing Great is a must see. Such a refreshing stand up routine about self-acceptance. :ROFLMAO:

greta87 and JohannChua like this.
  2. leninmac

leninmac PhilMUG Addict Member

Netflix’s just earned its first Academy Award win for acting. Laura Dern bagged Best Supporting Actress for Marriage Story. The Irishman surprisingly went empty handed. DeNiro was snubbed while Pacino and Pesci lost to Brad Pitt.

hitme64 likes this.
  3. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

^Laura Dern deserves the Oscar regardless of Netflix. She owned the role like she was who she was in Marriage Story. Give or take a year or two, Netflix would do better in the Oscar stakes, as long as it doesn’t dole out such releases like 6 Underground and Murder Mystery (but I kinda like them as popcorn movies).

Sunil_K and leninmac like this.
  4. leninmac

Finished Season 1 of Locke & Key. 8/10 Fun horror / fantasy / mystery series apparently based on a graphic novel. Looking forward to Season 2.

Sunil_K, Theus and ronjet like this.
  5. oj88

oj88 PhilMUG Addict Member

Valentine's Day traffic was no match for this "black midget bit*h" (his words), Kevin Hart. If people could see me behind those tinted windows... lol

[​IMG]

Godfather likes this.
  6. catalysmic

catalysmic Active Member

Just finished GIRI / HAJI a bbc produced series.. Nice Watch IMO

Sunil_K and Theus like this.
  7. eag

eag PhilMUG Addict Member

Narcos Mexico season 2 is up, muchachos!

ronjet likes this.
  8. Godfather

Godfather PhilMUG Addict Member

Marriage Story. The story itself was a little mundane and boring, but it was well paced and had a Woody Allen vibe to it because of the realism and everyday behavior, especially with scenes of New Yorkers in their natural habitat. I think this movie was an expose on how silly the entire American divorce process is, where both parties lose and only the lawyers win. The ex-spouses either go bankrupt or go through years of recuperating from the financial devastation of divorce, while the lawyers become millionaires. It's hilarious that Alan Alda's $450 an hour and a $10,000 retainer was considered cheap, while the typical going rate is apparently $950 an hour and a $25,000 retainer. And the husband has to pay for lawyers for both sides? WTF? At those prices, I think I'd rather stay miserably married. Chris Rock was right, Jeff Bezos is amazing. He's the only guy in the world who went through a divorce and still ended up as the richest man on earth.

Excellent performances all around. Scarlett Johansson should have gotten the Oscar for Best Actress. My wife and I were both surprised at how much she has matured as an actress. She has gone a long way from just being eye candy. Her every movement and gesture feels very natural and nuanced with emotion. Her face can convey heartbreak and pain on so multiple levels so well that you feel for her.

Adam Driver was surprisingly good too.

Laura Dern gave a good performance, but I don't get why she won an Oscar. She's a very good actress, don't get me wrong, but why she won for this particular role was puzzling to me.

Sunil_K, catalysmic and SE20 like this.
  9. SE20

SE20 PhilMUG Addict Member

Yeah ScarJo was brilliant. It made me want to reach out and, you know, comfort her.

When he started to show rage, you almost expected him to pull out a light saber with a blazing crossguard.

10. kinse_44

kinse_44 PhilMUG Addict Member

Sunil_K and Godfather like this.
  11. Godfather

Haha! :) He's definitely not my favorite actor, but Kylo Ren was great in SNL :

12. greta87

greta87 PhilMUG Addict Member

trying this out now.. no brainer stuff but as you said, it's fun.

13. hitme64

Uncut Gems was on Netflix and watching it for the second time made me realize that the Movie Industry Academy failed miserably by not considering Adam Sandler for his breakthrough role here, at least a nomination for that critical performance. He was acting against type which is almost unheard of in Hollywood. Maybe because it was made by Jews, produced by Jews, and acted by Jews that turned off the rather libertarian interests of the Academy.

14. leninmac

15. Godfather

If Harvey Weinstein was still in power, the Jewish Hollywood mafia would have a lot more clout. His recent conviction as a rapist has sealed his fate, and perhaps that of the Jewish influence too. But they will be back, no doubt.

Nothing against Jews here, just stating the obvious. :p My grandfather was a member of the Hebrew tribe that lived in the highlands. That's why to this day, we are called the...

[​IMG]

Sunil_K, raypin and hitme64 like this.
  16. hitme64

Not that their power and clout are fading because the likes of Steven Spielberg, Woody Allen, Sam Mendes, Bryan Singer, Paul Mazursky, Darren Aronofsky, and others very much hold sway in Hollywood. You can count with your fingers the number of “native” American directors (and producers) and not many can hold a candle to that elite group above, say Spike Lee, Paul Thomas Anderson, Wes Anderson, even Spike Jonze or David Fincher.

And like anyone familiar with how Hollywood portrays God’s chosen people, they always, always are the heroes there, never or little as the other way around.

Sunil_K and Godfather like this.
  17. leninmac

Castlevania Season 3

Sunil_K, JohannChua and hitme64 like this.
  18. Sunil_K

Sunil_K PhilMUG Addict Member

Altered Carbon season 2 is out now. 4 episodes in and im still waiting for Takeshi to bust out his “wings” :LOL:

its entertaining but i feel season 1 was better.

raypin likes this.