Netbook: Slow/Low quality display/PC software

Discussion in 'MacBook Air, MacBook & MacBook Pro' started by global, Jan 28, 2010.

1. global

global Member

True, false or is Steve Jobs wrong?

“When I look at netbooks, I see cramped keyboards, terrible software, junky hardware, very small screens. It’s just not a good consumer experience and not something we would put the Mac brand on. It’s a segment we would not choose to play in.” - Tim Cook

In my opinion Tim & Steve are right. :D

2. mitchtb

mitchtb Active Member

Well, IMO not all. Some netbooks are bang of the buck purchases. It really depends on what the "Consumer" really wants and need.

3. Salaryman Ryan

Salaryman Ryan PhilMUG Addict Member

Technically the software is the same as their desktop counterparts so not terrible. But I do agree that the whole experience with a netbook is one of compromise. :)

4. cool_assassin

cool_assassin Member

I agree on that statement.. After all it's actually based on consumer's preferences.. As for me, I prefer the 'Apple way'..

5. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

i have two netbooks at home, msi u210 and hp mini, which both work well in terms of display quality (especially the msi), speed (dual core for the msi) and on the windows 7 platform...

6. justinferreros

typical steve. haha

7. nydge

nydge Member

A netbook runs a full OS while iPad runs iPhone OS. I'd rather get a netbook hackintosh than this. Expandability is a plus factor for me. iPad is not a netbook killer. It is definitely a Kindle killer.

#7 nydge, Jan 28, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2010
  8. aNthraxx

aNthraxx Member

your right, i dont see it making a dent on netbook sales as you can do more with a netbook than the ipad. Ipad is just a nifty new product.

Besides i think with apples philosophy they wont win in the netbook wars, so to beat them apple didnt join in, just started their own product line.. haha :D

9. Salaryman Ryan

There seem to be a lot of netbook fans here! (Hey! I'm one too!) But I'm keeping an open mind, I will wait until I get the feedback from reviewers and first hand impressions on the net before really putting in my judgment. Perhaps in its current form the ipad is mostly promise but wait until the native (and killer triple A) apps, accessories (and I mean not just cases and screen protectors) and mods come out - if played right, this tablet has a lot of potential being a viable replacement to the netbook.

10. aNthraxx

aNthraxx Member

well?! im not really a fan of netbooks but i have to admit a netbook is more of a standalone product than the ipad, and personally i think its like comparing apples and oranges..

11. Salaryman Ryan

The iPad can be a stand alone product. You don't really need a computer to purchase and download content since it has been demoed by SJ that you can purchase all your stuff through the built in apps/book store just like the iPhone. Perhaps the only problem would be trying to backup all your files.

12. aNthraxx

aNthraxx Member

well?! i dont think one can just hook a printer on it, how does one restore it anyway?! i think you have to hook it on a Mac or PC as well.

13. berniej

berniej Active Member

I also have two netbooks and they performed well in their intended use -- web browsing, document review, email, & presentations. I was never disappointed with my netbooks because I didn't use if for tasks that are obviously beyond its capabilities -- i.e. audio/video editing, photo editing, etc.

The iPad, on the other hand, is primarily a media consumption device (videos, music, ebook, email, web & games). If used as intended, like what I did with my netbooks, I'm sure it will perform admirably. But I don't see myself editing photos of videos with it because I'm sure that I'll be sorely disappointed.

14. Mad Mac

Mad Mac Active Member

My 13" netbook is marginally slower than my MacBook , It has a better display, and no it doesn't run Windows. It runs Snow Leopard. But no questions please. It does standard avis and youtube well. It chops up with 720pmkv. I believe a netbook is still a different animal from the iPad. The iPad to me is closer to the iPod Touch, which I also own.

15. Salaryman Ryan

My guess is for backup or restoration, a cloud solution could be possible. If one can hook up a keyboard with it why not a printer? (it does have converters) Who knows.

As for the potential of this thing, I think it will all depend on the quality of apps the developer community will churn out. As for content creation, I agree with berniej that editing video or manipulating big raw files might not work with the iPad but I think this tablet will be ideal for making things like spread sheets, documents, and presentations even illustrations (e.g. AutoDesk Sketchbook mobile on iPhone)

#15 Salaryman Ryan, Jan 28, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2010
  16. aNthraxx

aNthraxx Member

maybe network printing, which is pretty much standard faire nowadays, whatever its shortcomings i just dont think a netbook and the ipad can be compared, its like apples to oranges both have different purposes. I use netbooks for computing needs of my business, being dirt cheap and all, cant imagine buying the ipad for that purpose.

Ill be buying this ipad under the header of "FUN" :D i know my children would be ecstatic to have one...but they have to wait their turn, daddy gets to play with the ipad first...:p

17. Godfather

Godfather PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

Don't you mean it's like comparing Apples and Netbooks? Hehe. Sorry couldn't resist. :)

Yes, I agree, they are two different animals. For business travel, the netbook is the workhorse that will allow more work to be done, while the iPad is the pretty companion that will entertain you.

18. Salaryman Ryan

We can't really say that the iPad will be a "pretty princess" that can't match the utility of the netbook just yet. I believe it is just too early to pass that judgment at this stage of the iPad's development. The iPad has still yet to be reviewed and abused by people around the world. On top of that we are still not sure what will be the accessories and apps that will be released in the future that will make this device as a versatile travel/business companion. :)