Neo Office

Discussion in 'OS X and OS X Apps' started by blackiridium, Jan 2, 2007.

1. blackiridium

blackiridium Member

Not entirely sure if anyone's already brought this up but has anyone tried using Neo Office? Is any good? Pros and Cons?

Thanks!

Third

2. wildcard

wildcard Active Member

The only Con that i can think of is when you open a word document with neooffice, some formatings will be off. Other than that, it's ok.

3. Time

Time Member

I think Openoffice.org will be better for you. Its more compatible with MS docs.

4. berniej

berniej Active Member

@Time: NeoOffice is just an "aqua-fied" OpenOffice.Org so they're basically the same except NeoOffice doesn't require X11 to run. And yes, when you open an MS Word in either of the two, some formatting will be a bit scrambled up.

If you intend to use either of the two (OOO or NeoOffice), avoid working with MS Office-generated files as much as you can --OR-- if someone using MS Office needs to send you Word files, request for RTF-formatted files for better compatibility.

5. Maccess

Maccess Active Member

I've used openoffice extensively for the last three years, both on the PC and as NeoOffice on the Mac. I've never really had any formatting problems with 95% of the documents. Those documents tht have had formatting problems are due to reasons (font not available, etc) that would affect formatting even if MS Office were used to open them.

I've found that I can open with OpenOffice, MS Word documents that have been declared corrupted, and unopenable, by MS Office, and have experienced more formatting problems among MS Office running on different computers.

OpenOffice has the ability to create .pdfs on the PC (this feature is built into Mac OS X), which allows you to eliminate formatting errors when distributing non-editable documents.

6. coffeelover

coffeelover Member

My biggest complaint against NeoOffice is that it takes a lot longer than MS Office to load. I usually use either the browser or mail program, once in a while, I open us a word processor or spreadsheet to view or edit office documents. NeoOffice seems to take a lot longer to start than MS Office. But other than that, I find that it works great for my word processing and spreadsheet needs.

7. blackiridium

blackiridium Member

Thanks for the insights guys!

8. grey

grey New Member

okay.. hmm now i think im gona uninstall my ms office.. office takes a lot of my memory right?

9. morrissey_05

morrissey_05 Member

i have to agree. been using open office and now neo office and neo office is slower

10. rexfuge

rexfuge Member

heres a nice head to head comparison of neoofice vs. openoffice vs. microsoft word.. :)

link:
    wiki

HTH :p

11. Maccess

Maccess Active Member

That wiki looks like it hasn't been updated in years. the current versions are based on the 2.3 code base, and the forthcoming versions based on the Oo_O 3.0 codebase promise to be able to handle OOXML (in addtion to previous versions of MS formats, and the real ISO standard ODF).

12. d0natell0

d0natell0 New Member

NeoOffice 2.2.4

NeoOffice is a full-featured set of office applications (including word processing, spreadsheet, presentation, drawing, and database programs) for Mac OS X. Based on the OpenOffice.org office suite, NeoOffice has integrated dozens of native Mac features and can import, edit, and exchange files with other popular office programs such as Microsoft Office.

Since 2003, NeoOffice has been the leading open source office software created and supported by Mac users specifically for Mac OS X and is used by over half a million people worldwide. NeoOffice is funded solely by the time and money donated by NeoOffice users like yourself. Without donations from our users, NeoOffice would not exist. Your donations have a huge impact on what we are able to provide our users.

NeoOffice is available for free from the NeoOffice download page.

13. sabsar

sabsar Well-Known Member

I have been using Neo Office for almost 2 years now. No problems whatsoever.