Need Help!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Pitikero, Apr 28, 2017.

1. Pitikero

Pitikero New Member

Hi! Newbie lang po ..

Ask lng po sana ako kung may shop kayo ma recommend doing battery replacement on my MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012) 15". Model A1398.

I'm currently based na in Davao. But I grew up in Cainta. I flew in here manila just for this purpose. My return flight will be Thursday next week. Wala kaseng stock nung battery dun sa una kong shop na nakausap. Masyado kaseng mahal pag sa power mac ako magpagawa. Hehehe!

Thanks in advance sa mga sasagot.

2. guwapito

guwapito Well-Known Member

check out BTB vmall

or the one in galleria called QCD, they are apple authorized center....

hope this helps!

3. Pitikero

Pitikero New Member

ok
    will do po .. thanks! sana pasok pa din sa budget .. hehehe!

may fb account yung BTB or contact number?

4. guwapito

https://www.facebook.com/beyondthebox.ph/

if you are concerned about the budget, you may check out greenhills, but of course, do more research first when entrusting your mac to 3rd party repair people not authorized by apple

5. Pitikero

Pitikero New Member

actually, yun po sana hanap ko .. sadly medyo di kase kaya na apple part eh ..

6. iJav

iJav Active Member

7. guwapito

go ahead and check out greenhills, pero may disclaimer yan ha

8. Qin Zhi

Qin Zhi Well-Known Member

For batteries, I strongly suggest that you buy only original. When I had the battery of my 13" 2009 MBP replaced at the Apple Store here, I spent ¥998 (about Php 7,200). You might end end up spending about that much or slightly higher for an original.

Yes, it may seem expensive, but I'd say the market value and, more importantly, the utility value of your mid-2012 MBP is far more expensive than that. If that replacement you bought turned out to be defective and damages your MBP (such as if it swells/bloats, which can damage your MBP's case, trackpad, etc.--or if it blows-up) you'd end up spending more. My 2009 MBP, which is 3 years older than yours is still in good condition--including its battery. It has been and remains useful to me. Spending a higher amount of money which results in prolonging the usefulness of your MBP is worth considering, in my opinion.

If you simply lacked funds to buy an original, but nonetheless can still use your MBP while plugged-in to AC power, I suggest that you save-up and buy an original battery once you have the funds. For me, it's well worth the wait, as doing so there's a higher probability that the battery will last longer and will not pose harm to your MBP than a mere generic replacement battery.

Just my 2 cents'.

9. Pitikero

Pitikero New Member

When i called powermac they told me it will cost 26k. Kase daw po papslitan pati top case.

Pero point noted po. Thank you!

10. Pitikero

Pitikero New Member

11. Analog_KiD

Analog_KiD New Member

12. Qin Zhi

You can simply opt for a replacement (i.e. non-original) top case, but buy an original battery. A replacement top case is safe as it's just a case.

You can buy a replacement A1398 top case directly from Aliexpress (check here), which you can pay for using a credit card, Western Union or wire transfer. Once you get it, you can install it yourself following the instructions at iFixit (check here) or have a competent technician do it for you and just provide him the instructions. Hopefully that can save you some money.

As for the battery, I suggest you order an original from BTB, Power Mac or similar authorized dealers/service centers and go for the one that offers the best price.

13. Pitikero

Pitikero New Member

Will do po sir. Thanks!

14. Pitikero

Pitikero New Member

I sabi po ni powermac kaya 26k aabutin kase included yung topcase which i don't need. Di daw po pwede na battery lng eh

15. Qin Zhi

That's plain ridiculous (unless, of course, the top case is really damaged to the point that they install the battery properly without replacing the top case).

Get a quote from BTB and others. Like I said, I had my 2009 MBP's battery replaced over 3 years ago. I brought it directly to an Apple Store here in Beijing. Only the battery was replaced and I just paid the amount I told you. It took just over an hour.

16. Analog_KiD

Analog_KiD New Member

na tyempo ka lang sa tindero sa BTB na walang kwenta kausap... Try nyo ulit Sir mag tanong sa iba na taga BTB baka sakali, sakali lang naman na mabigyan kayo ng tamang sagot... Pambihira, battery kailangan pati top case isasama nila sa quote!

Pitikero likes this.
  17. Pitikero

Pitikero New Member

Onga sir eh. Powermac connecticut, powermac abreeza, tsaka isang authrorized store sa galleria same answers. Kaya ganun ka mahal daw kase kelangan pati top case kasama. Ganun daw pag retina version. Pero cge sir hanap pa ako ulet ng ibang BTB branch baka sakali nga. Salamat sir

18. Qin Zhi

I stand corrected. What they told you is correct: the battery does come with the upper case--it's one set/assembly. I was able to confirm this when I looked it up at iFixit (click here for details):
    IMG_0709.JPG

As described in that guide:

19. Analog_KiD

Analog_KiD New Member

I see, okay, I stand corrected din... well mukhang no choice ka Pitikero kundi kagatin yung 26k or unless order ka online kasi mas mura but ikaw mag i-install (DIY)

20. mokmoki

mokmoki PhilMUG Addict Member

i can confirm that Apple only sells it as an assembly (top case, trackpad, keyboard, battery). i've had mine replaced a few months ago (fortunately under applecare). everything's glued together kasi e.

super risky na mag DIY ng removing the battery from the top-case, you might puncture the battery cells while forcing it off the glue. same goes for the replacement, di ka sure if okay ba yung replacement na ilalagay ng 3rd party repairs. and when it comes to battery/charger or anything related to a device's power, it's always better to be safe than sorry, fire and chemical hazard yan e hehe.

unfortunately if you want to be 100% safe, you really have to shell out the 26k. :(