need help moving songs from winPC to mac

Discussion in 'OS X and OS X Apps' started by ultratramp, Sep 25, 2005.

1. ultratramp

ultratramp Active Member

i have about 8gb of songs in my pc's hard drive that i would like to transfer as painlessly as possible to my ibook, i was in the middle of transfering them by cd but at some point i started getting 'failure to copy to HD' messages for certain songs/ albums/ artists. now it has become a nightmare to piece together what got transfered and not.

SO, im thinking off just deleting my entire ibook library and transfer by whatever way (easy and foolproof) you might be able to suggest.

thanks in advance.

2. Macmon

Macmon Well-Known Member

Not sure if you can do it via Lan to lan connection.

3. Maverick

Maverick Active Member

an external hdd or a lan connection (either direct ethernet to ethernet... or via a switch/hub) would be the easiest way to do it.

4. rdelrio

rdelrio Member

if you have the router na, i think you can activate the sharing and with that, its good to go

5. alfa

alfa Member

If you can get a router connect both computers to it.
    turn on the share feature of the PC folder which contains the music files. Determine the ip address that the router assigned the pc . Go to your iBook then click on the connect to server button in the finder mode.
    Type smb://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx where the x is ip address of your PC. This gives you a choice to select and thereafter open the shared folder on your PC from your iBook.
    Drag and drop the files you want to copy to the preferred folder in your iBook.
    I just did this yesterday to my iMac, i transferred 5 gigs worth of pics from my PC to my iMac. Took me about 45 mins to 1.5 hours to do it.

I'm sure you can do this without a router ie Lan to Lan via cross cable but i dont know the commands to use. Maybe some of the network Gurus here can help us out.

[Edited on 9-25-2005 by alfa]

6. PatrickGaerlan

PatrickGaerlan Super Moderator
    Staff Member

This means creating an "ad hoc" network. If you're going to be doing this between a PC and a Mac, just download and install the free Bonjour for Windows on your Windows 2000/2003/XP machine. Bonjour (previously know as Rendezvous) is already built into Mac OS X. You can connect them via Firewire, Ethernet, Wi-Fi and even Bluetooth.

For more information, check out the excellent Macworld article Ad hoc networking.

[Edited on 9-26-2005 by PatrickGaerlan]

7. ultratramp

ultratramp Active Member

i used patrick's setup advice. i never did any kind of networking before and this is a testment to the mac's ease of use. i just followed the steps and voila, i have my pc's music folder pop up on my desktop. i am currently filling up my library with my collection intact.

i really appreciate the help. im sure you guys love your music collections so take my gratitude from that thought. SALAMAT!

8. PatrickGaerlan

PatrickGaerlan Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Glad to know it was easy on Windows too, I personally haven't tried using Bonjour for Windows yet.

9. ultratramp

ultratramp Active Member

bonjour appears as a printer networking app on windows. the networking worked for file transfer as well. alfa's tip on specifying the folders to be shared (this is done in its properties settings) was a good reminder too. the best part was how painlessly easy it was.