Need Help: Home Network Scanning

Discussion in 'OS X and OS X Apps' started by theelhombre, Nov 2, 2008.

1. theelhombre

theelhombre Member

do any of you know an app (freeware, ideally) that will monitor all the IP addresses in a home or office network?

the purpose is to find out if there are any intruders in a home network; even if my wifi (airport extreme) is secure, i'd just like to make sure there are no intruders.

anybody for suggestions? thanks.

2. global

global Member

WPA2 Personal, hide your SSID, change your broadcast name, change your DHCP IP range would deter all but the most bored of freeloaders.

3. theelhombre

theelhombre Member

thansk global- i've done the securing bit already, but i still need an ip scanner app sana. there is actually one ("ip scannner"), but it's not freeware.

4. global

global Member

You could also turn off your router when not in use. :) Try also MAC address filtering. At the rate you're securing your network they'd scratch their heads

5. Chito Limson

Chito Limson Unfrozen…
    Staff Member

Global, you're not helping theelhombre with your replies. He already told you that the security part is down pat. He is looking for a free IP scanner software, so please understand his concerns first before you shoot off another post.

6. viral_variance

theelhombre,

you may use WIRESHARK. its freeware, and runs on X11. I'm using it on my network.

7. viral_variance

just to be more accurate, you want to have a network sniffer right? unix has free tools in it, but im not really familiar, and i am not a networking guy.

8. theelhombre

theelhombre Member

thanks viral.

i checked it sa website, and this might be it. will try it tonite.