Need advice on Macbook Pro (Early 2015) battery health. TIA!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Julia Ash, Aug 5, 2018.

1. Julia Ash

Julia Ash New Member

Hello there.

I need advice/suggestions on the current health of my Macbook pro battery. It's an early 2015 model (13-inch Retina) and I got it last 2016. I think there's a problem with the battery because it's already giving me the Service Battery (at 75 percent design capacity) notification but cycle count is still at 378.

Anyone who can help/give their two cents? I don't have Apple care btw. :(

Attached Files:

2. Edelheid

Edelheid Well-Known Member

If you haven't already tried resetting the System Management Controller (SMC) to see if the "Service Battery" warning ever goes away, you may want to try that out first.

It's not only the cycle count that you have to look out for, but your overall usage. While two years is a little suspect for the battery, what are your habits when it comes to battery? Do you keep it tethered to an outlet while doing intensive tasks? Do you NOT keep it tethered but wait until the battery level goes down to ~30% before charging it back to full? You can also have only a hundred cycle count and still get the warning because of sustained high temperature from prolonged use.

I'm unable to grasp a concrete estimate of your usage, but my MacBook Pro of 11 months has 320 charge cycles. It's been my daily driver that gets off the grid as soon as battery is fully charged and then charging gets resumed when battery goes down to ~45%. The wear and tear of the battery fluctuates between 89% to 91% in full charge capacity primarily due to continued heat from Final Cut Pro rendering, HandBrake conversions, etc. My mother's MacBook, which was purchased alongside my MBP, also gets used daily with almost the same charge cycles as mine, but her full charge capacity percentage is still at a whopping ~97%. Her beloved partners in crime are Vellum and Ulysses, and of course, they don't strain her machine the way my regular apps do.

#2 Edelheid, Aug 12, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
    Julia Ash likes this.
  3. Julia Ash

Julia Ash New Member

Hello, thank you for the reply . I already did an SMC reset. You're probably right about usage and battery health correlation. Battery's full charge capacity is already at 70 percent. :( This is a workhorse laptop and I have a feeling that prolonged exposure to heat/warm environments may have also led to the battery's deterioration.

4. shiznit

shiznit Member

5. Julia Ash

Julia Ash New Member

Unfortuanately, I've done the same thing and no changes in battery health info so far. I think it's time for me to take the laptop to the experts aka shell out money for replacement