Need advice between iMac 2020 i5 3.3ghz vs i7 3.8ghz

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Jess Lorenzo, Dec 4, 2020.

1. Jess Lorenzo

Jess Lorenzo New Member

Have aging (and about to die) 2013 MacBook air with an I7. I decided to buy an iMac for the first time with clear plans to do video editing for Youtube blogs.

I am about to buy the middle tier 27inch iMac tomorrow from PowerMac but also have an option to buy the I7 that is coming in soon. The price difference is 18K. I am price-conscious but I am worried that I might feel sorry for not investing in the higher model.

If I plan to do final cut video editing, is the I5 3.3Ghz iMac good enough for 5 years of use?

For info: I plan to buy the 512K storage since I have a Synology NAS. I also plan to upgrade to 30G RAM.

2. King

King PhilMUG Addict Member

If you can wait I'd go with the Apple Silicon iMac that I expect to be announced by March and not later than June.

Typical replacement cycle is 5-6 years. Longer if your workflow does not change.

Here's a benchmark between a $899 Mac mini with Apple Silicon vs $2,500+ 2020 iMac Core i7 that you are eyeing.

I'm looking to swap out my 2012 iMac as soon as a redesigned 27" or larger screen comes out by 2022. Will buy the base model as anything is faster than my current iMac. ;) Savings I get from keeping to base storage would go to a $240 external 2TB SSD with read/write of ~800MB/s.

If I was editing 4K resolution videos I'd opt to bump up the storage from beyond base.

#2 King, Dec 4, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2020
  3. Hero33

Hero33 PhilMUG Addict Member

Rumored 32” iMac m1x chip performance getting me excited to replace my 27” 5k i7

4. King

I could imagine the base price will rise accordingly.

But hopefully I am incorrect.

5. Hero33

Hero33 PhilMUG Addict Member

Use them for a long time and pass them down the family anyway, so price/ number of days utilized = sulit.

6. King

No question if you compare orange to orange it will show that the Mac is a great value.

I admire Apple for being able to only cater to the top 20% of the global computer market

7. Jess Lorenzo

Jess Lorenzo New Member

-----
    Thank you for the quick response. Noting the higher drive capacity suggestion.
    Yes I'm aware of M1 macs. I'm not sure my Macbook Air will last that long. It is 7 years old. They say iMacs have a longer life too. I would probably still stay with an intel based mac for now. My dilemna is just the choice between the i5 and the i7.

8. King

I have a 2012 MBA and a 2010 MBP 13" that still going strong.

Just wait it out until your 2013 falls apart or fails to boot. To safeguard your data do a daily TM backup.

If the upgrade doesnt generate substantial income then delay.

Or better yet buy that Mac mini then upgrade to the Apple Silicon iMac when available.

Intel iMacs not worth it unless the app you're using will never get a Universal 2 binary update.

I knew about the transition as early as 2017 and still bought a 2019 MBP 16" under the assumption that the improvements would be less than 20%. I

was wrong. It was more than 80%. If I knew then what I knew now I would never have bought that 16" and sold off all my Intel Macs except for the ones I use every day.

9. Silentwill

Silentwill Active Member

Agree with suggestions to wait for the M1 iMac if you can. All reviews for the M1 MacBooks are consistent with much faster speed and though not relevant with iMac I guess, longer battery life. But that still applies because they are achieved because they consume less power and would less likely to overheat.

10. mree

mree Well-Known Member

Agree. Especially with what you intend to use the iMac for—video editing, you better wait for the Apple silicon version. I know it’s tempting to get one now, especially if you do have the funds ready, but waiting for the better option will be worth it.

A lot who recently purchased Intel macs have wished they waited—my sister included. Your MBA will last longer than you think. Or so we all hope. Now people want to switch from Intel to M1 and they can no longer get “good 2nd hand value” for their intel macs. Either that or they’re finding it difficult to sell their macs now, even the ones without M1 counterparts yet.

But if you insist on getting an Intel based one now, and wish to use it for a long time even with the release of the Apple silicon version, then invest in the one that will give the best performance. The 18k difference would probably be immaterial if you base it on performance.

#10 mree, Dec 5, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2020
  11. Jess Lorenzo

Jess Lorenzo New Member

Thank you for the suggestions

12. Flim

Flim Member

When it comes to processors, the price difference between i5 and the i7 or even the M1 will be worth it. I have an iMac Quad-Core Intel Core i5 Retina 5K, 27-inch BTO from Apple Singapore, 2016, and it doesn't work well for instance with Zoom's virtual background and the new PPT slide feature even if I use a green screen. Frustrating considering I spent a lot for it (113k). Built-in obsolescence. Time for me to move on and get a newer iMac so I can keep up with the latest Zoom video editing and whatever. Though my current iMac is still a workhorse.