NBA Season 75 (2020–2021)

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by ice, Oct 19, 2020.

1. shifty_md

shifty_md PhilMUG Addict Member

Rooting for the Suns now. As much as I like Giannis as a player, I want Paul to redeem himself with a championship after all those heartbreaking losses/chokes through the years.

Mykolant and Sunil_K like this.
  2. eag

eag PhilMUG Addict Member

Being a fair weather, bandwagon fan (and not a real fan of any particular team), I’ll root for the suns because of CP3 also, the old player looking at what could be a last best chance for a ring.
    Has Milwaukeee or Phoenix ever won a championship before?

Mykolant likes this.
  3. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

I'm always rooting for the Western Conference Team (which started from Olajuwon's Rockets)
    (even if I love watching Jordan and Shaq's Magic. I even bought Jordan's and Penny's shoes... while cheering for the Jazz)

But this time. I just want to see CP3 with a ring.

He reached the Finals the hard way. He could have joined the Lakers or the Heat, but he chose Phoenix!

Plus, just imagine the previous set-backs CP3 has endured in the past...

The vetoed trade to the Lakers, the Blake injuries with the Clippers, the hamstring injury with the Rockets etc.

“Chris Paul is in the NBA Finals while having the ‘worst contract in sports history’”: The Suns superstar has been incredibly successful since Tilman Fertitta took shots at him | The Sports Rush

SE20 likes this.
  4. ice

5. ice

6. ice

7. SE20

SE20 PhilMUG Addict Member

Props for mentioning Penny, one of my all-time favorite players. Before he got injured, he was special. There were games where MJ and Pip couldn't guard him.

Mykolant and Sunil_K like this.
  8. macdiver

macdiver PhilMUG Addict Member

This is the year where playoffs experience was not a factor.

With Lebron and AD bowing out in the first round, and Kyrie and Kawhi getting sidelined with injuries... and the Dubs barely missing the playoffs... it became a free-for-all battle. Suddenly, everybody had a real chance of making it to the finals.

Teams like Atlanta looked formidable. (I doubt if they can replicate it next year though.) Basically, everyone was on equal footing. The intimidation factor was non existent.

Makes me wonder what would've happened if the Dubs (with Curry and Green's playoffs experience) made it past the play-in....

Btw, this is also the year when the NBA finals does not feature any of the superteams.

SE20, gaol and wulf like this.
  9. ice

^I guess we can say that this year's NBA Finals will NOT have a "ring chasing veteran"

macdiver, Mykolant and wulf like this.
  10. wulf

wulf Well-Known Member

Much as I think the Bucks deserve it more from previous years’ heartaches, the Suns seem to be a "team of destiny" right now.

It also seems like, no matter how it goes, the headlines will write themselves:
    "The Bucks stops here."
    "The Suns rise in Milwaukee."

catalysmic, Theus and Sunil_K like this.
  11. Mykolant

Mykolant PhilMUG Addict Member

Between Down Under and the Great White North
    And the one and only time Milwaukee won the championship in 1971 (when Kareem Abdul Jabbar was still Lew Alcindor), it represented the western conference.

SE20 likes this.
  12. catalysmic

catalysmic Well-Known Member

Giannis & Bucks made a breakthrough this Year..

Giannis has been collecting MVPs / DPOY / Most Improved / All Star MVP / almost every Year and more...

A Superstar at the PEAK of his Career should be a Champion....

wulf likes this.
  13. ice

14. barre05

barre05 Well-Known Member

Rooting for the Suns.

I'm quite disappointed with Giannis. He doesn't deserve to win. We saw it in the Brooklyn series. He's a one-trick pony, the drive then Eurostep move. He's won two MVP trophies essentially doing the same thing. And he got eliminated early the past two years. This year, he nearly lost in the 2nd round again, if not for KD's big feet.

Used to like him, but after seeing all his flaws in this year's playoffs, I'm beginning to agree with Harden's assessment of him. Until he shows us all that he's motivated enough to improve his game (jumpshot, free throws, three point shooting) to even just average-level, I can't bring myself to think he deserves his MVPs.

wulf and SE20 like this.
  15. leninmac

leninmac PhilMUG Addict Member

Suns take Game 1
    Suns 118. Bucks 105.

16. macjobber

macjobber PhilMUG Addict Member

NBA Finals
    Low tech coverage resolution
    still 720p at 2021

How I wish ESPN or TNT covers the NBA Finals.

MLB broadcasted their live MLB game in 4K.
    I was able to watch a game and it's stunning.

OK, just making rants.

greta87 likes this.
  17. VicB

VicB PhilMUG Addict Member

I wonder how many of today's NBA superstars would thrive if the hand-checking of the 1980s was still allowed.

Sunil_K likes this.
  18. shifty_md

shifty_md PhilMUG Addict Member

I also wonder how many of the old superstars would thrive with the breakthroughs in nutrition, conditioning, game reviewing, medicine, and surgery that the current players enjoy. The league changes, and the players adapt to the change. Hand-checking is a thing of the past.

19. SE20

SE20 PhilMUG Addict Member

Quite a number, I'd say. Today's players have developed skills in moving quickly away from the point of pressure.

For those who disagree, I have a YouTube channel for you... Basketball Time Machine, which is filled with nostalgia for 80s and 90s basketball haha.

Sunil_K, shifty_md and greta87 like this.
  20. greta87

greta87 PhilMUG Addict Member

I'm still not sure who to root for between the Bucks & Suns... giannis has a compelling story of being a 2 time MVP, DPOY but has been bounced out of the playoffs ingloriously the last few years.. CP3 is the all time great PG but has never reached the finals (until now) & has never won it all. even if I dont like him at all,. Maybe by Game 3; I'd be able to find a team to cheer for,.. If anything else, it's been great basketball.

wulf likes this.