NBA 2019-2020

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by jerichojanolo, Jun 14, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Netskipper

Netskipper Well-Known Member

That fact puts tremendous pressure on the clips front office.

VicB likes this.
  2. extremeshot

extremeshot PhilMUG Addict Member

On the contrary, Iggy hasn't been a regular season guy in years and Livingston hasn't contributed anything significant to the Dubs (both in the regular season and playoffs) the way he used to so I understand why SL was waived. So I don't believe losing those 2 will be the reason for the Dubs regular season standings slide to the bottom 4 in the West. I still think the combo of Steph, Draymond, (healthy) Klay, Looney, and WCS, will be formidable during the playoffs. The challenge they need to workaround at the start of the season is D-lo is also a guard and the Splash Brothers are among the best backcourt duos. In this regard, Russell only makes sense as a filler until Klay comes back healthy. There's very little chance these 3 guards will be played extended minutes at the same time so D-lo would possibly be moved either before the end of the trade deadline or at the end of next season.

I understand that the recent Dubs failure to win the title that everyone thought they'd win plus losing KD, among others, is being interpreted as the end of an era but the Warriors have quietly made moves that ensure they're still competitive next season. Again, barring any serious injury to Steph, Draymon, or Klay, I think the Warriors are being slept on and will likely still make a deep playoffs run.

Gone are the days where players were loyal to a franchise (and vice-versa) until the end. It has been true for Magic, Bird, Kobe, Duncan, etc... but times have significantly changed. We now live in an era where players hold the most power and mobility is the norm. Quiet is deadly (see Kawhi Leonard). There are conspiracy theories circulating that he never wanted to play with Lebron but gave the Lakers a meeting anyway just to mess with them. And delaying his decision the way he did meant that the Lakers lose out on the juicier free agents and are now left to scrape the bottom of the barrel just to fill their roster. Kawhi also reportedly heavily recruited PG - no one saw it coming and PG moving out of OKC now means Westbrook will likely go out as well. So the quiet assassin (Kawhi) has effectively screwed Lebron, the Lakers, Westbrook, OKC, stole the thunder from Brooklyn - all in one masterfully crafted move.

catalysmic, Netskipper and Mykolant like this.
  3. Mykolant

Mykolant PhilMUG Addict Member

Between Down Under and the Great White North
    Don't forget; Kawhi also somehow screwed Toronto in the end, but at least he gave them a title before moving on. That's his ex-deal with them actually -- "I win a title for Toronto, then I go." No dramas.

hitme64 and extremeshot like this.
  4. Roman

Roman Let's hug it out!
    Staff Member

Brodie traded for CP3! Didn’t see that coming.

Dekra likes this.
  5. extremeshot

extremeshot PhilMUG Addict Member

Poor Thunder. They had such a bright future just a few years back. They made the conference finals and finals with their young core of KD, Russ, Harden, and it seemed like a title (or titles) was inevitable for this group. Now they are all gone and I guess the one that hurt the OKC fanbase the most is losing their iconic hero, Russ.

And what do the OKC fans get in return for their most beloved superstar --- CP3??? Maaaannnn, that's rough. Sad day for Oklahoma City.

hitme64 likes this.
  6. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

7. Roman

Roman Let's hug it out!
    Staff Member

Welcome home, CP3?

77641DD0-C88E-4FB7-A9A8-9E327EA3ED5B.jpeg

greta87 and hitme64 like this.
  8. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

The talks about moving to the Miami Heat were all a ruse then. Westbrook teaming with Harden will put two ball-hogging superstars together in a team sorely dependent on them but which possess an offensive arsenal that is bound to be fun to watch this season. Imagine Harden and Westbrook combining nearly 80% of Houston’s points and all other teams will take note of that firepower display.

Sorry for CP3 to be relegated to an OKC team in the throes of rebuilding itself.

9. ramil

ramil Active Member

What do you think OKC will do with CP3 - keep him, buy him out, or trade him?

10. ice

Houston's your turn my turn offense featuring James Harden and Westbrook...

If basketball was played with 3 balls... Harden + Westbrook + Durant + Ibaka would have been unbeatable.

I feel sorry for CP3. If he stays, he's never getting a ring. Trading for him would be difficult (Houston gave up picks just to let him go). If he gets bought out, he's never getting the same $$$ in the market.

11. Dekra

Dekra PhilMUG Addict Member

The point-gawd becomes the point-gawdawfull; never really like him at all.

12. Netskipper

Netskipper Well-Known Member

That was indeed well played by Kawhi and his group. I think part of the reason why he was able to pull it off was that he has the championship halo and that no one expected him to be capable of such. He left the American sports media looking like schmucks so next time all eyes are going to be on him. It's going to be hard to pull it off again.

This is sort of karmic for Lebron as he was the one who started this. I'm not complaining about it though. It's good that the players have more control over their career and the NBA is still abuzz even through its the offseason. Makes things a ton more interesting

wulf likes this.
  13. ice

Life's not fair for professional athletes. Anyone can quit his/her job and start working for a competing company (some will have a cooling/gardening period) but no rules will prevent you from transferring.

Sports - you can't just wake up one morning to play for another team... Although MJ did it, with the Barons :)

14. catalysmic

catalysmic Active Member

I wish they keep him out of sight & out of everyone's ear too..

for the rest of his playing career..

:ROFLMAO:

15. Mykolant

Mykolant PhilMUG Addict Member

Between Down Under and the Great White North
    Looks like OKC plans to trade CP3; they're now in talks with Miami for a possible trade. He'll team up with Jimmy Butler.

16. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

Former lottery No.1 pick Anthony Bennett (where’s he been anyways?) is returning to the NBA after a low-key stint in the G-League. What team will pick a former NBA bust is likely to be a mystery. Good luck anyway.

And Guerschon Yabusele has been waived by the Celtics likely paving the way for a two-way contract for 7-foot-7 Summer League fan favorite Tacko Fall.