NBA 2019-2020

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by jerichojanolo, Jun 14, 2019.

Tags:
  1. GilGrissom

GilGrissom Well-Known Member

At this day and age I am just happy that they are playing. Have you seen how they are doing Major League Baseball? Now that is a snoozefest!

I like how the NBA bubble is more well thought out. I heard referee whistles are even modified to minimize spittle when they blow on it. May they should just make it digital and have them press a button for an instant response time.

greta87 likes this.
  2. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

We all know what happened today...

3. leninmac

leninmac PhilMUG Addict Member

43 points, 13 assists, 17 rebounds plus the game winning basket. Reminds me of Magic Johnson’s performance when he led the Lakers to the championship in his rookie year with Jabbar injured.

macdiver and greta87 like this.
  4. greta87

greta87 PhilMUG Addict Member

on the opposite side of the Doncic heroics is the PG13's playoff troubles rearing it's ugly head again. I guess when you call yourself "Playoff P" ; you're kinda inviting trouble. he he. he's shooting 26% for the series.. yikes.

& over at RealGM, somebody dug up this compilation of game winning buzzer beaters made while PG13 was guarding the shooter... i thought it's hilarious.

#384 greta87, Aug 25, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2020
    leninmac likes this.
  5. mcarlos223

mcarlos223 Member

With the way he's playing, he's more like "Pandemic P".

leninmac likes this.
  6. macdiver

macdiver PhilMUG Addict Member

This kid is the real chosen one.

This Clippers team is loaded with good one-on-one defenders... Kawhi, PG, Beverly, Morris, Harrell, Noah... but Luka just keeps on making plays against any defender thrown at him by the Clippers.

But I don't get it why "basketball anaylists" keep on saying that "Luka is a liability on defense" and how "the Dallas Mavs should hide Luka on defense"... Luka Doncic is not a bad defender. He's no DPOY candidate, but he can stand his ground against any swingman in this league. One thing that separates him from the average players is his knowledge and skills of the fundamentals of the game. For his size, he moves his feet really well on defense. Let's not forget that this kid is 6'7'' and is 218lbs. I've seen it in this series how he is able to contain Kawhi and Pal George's attempts and drives to the basket. He even stripped PG clean and got a fastbreak bucket off it.

Shaq doesn't want to hop on the Luka bandwagon just yet, but I think he knows that this kid is different... he just doesn't want to admit it yet.

Coach Carlisle's comparison says it all. Doncic is like a hybrid of Larry Bird and Jason Kidd. Like these players, Doncic simply has the knack for the ball. He is not athletic, but he is crafty. He just makes the right plays on both ends of the court.

Unlike most, if not all, players who got hyped early in their careers, Luka was already an accomplished player in the euro league before he stepped into the NBA. Luka was a champion and an MVP in another pro league before he joined the NBA draft. And he did that as a teenager against older, faster and stronger players.

Luka Doncic is the league's future MVP and champion.
    He is that good.
    Anything less would be a bust for the wonderboy.

#386 macdiver, Aug 25, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2020
    Mykolant, docjbr, greta87 and 2 others like this.
  7. SE20

SE20 PhilMUG Addict Member

When someone says to me that Luka isn’t fast or athletic, my reply: Next time you watch, don’t focus on him, instead, watch the player defending him. You’ll see that supposedly more athletic player failing to keep up, getting off balance, arms flailing about, getting frozen in space, etc. Then they realize they’ve been wrong. Luka isn’t just deceptively fast and athletic, he’s also deceptively strong.

On another topic, today’s win by the Lakers was a fitting tribute to Kobe on 8-24.

greta87 likes this.
  8. fcdiesta

fcdiesta PhilMUG Addict Member

Giannis wins the Defensive Player of the Year award. He's widely expected to join MJ and Hakeem as the only players to win the DPOY and MVP awards in the same season. Story here

9. SE20

SE20 PhilMUG Addict Member

leninmac and catalysmic like this.
  10. catalysmic

catalysmic Active Member

leninmac likes this.
  11. leninmac

#392 leninmac, Aug 27, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2020
  12. VicB

VicB PhilMUG Addict Member

leninmac likes this.
  13. greta87

it sucks as a Lakers fan & Lebron on his last legs & opportunities to win a title for LAL dwindling as he ages.. BUT totally understandable.

he said it: we don't know how it feels to be black while living in America. he's one of the very few who did well, but when he was young, he recalled that every time a police car rolled by their playgrounds, they would hide. they were in fear of cops. & it seems that things haven't improved.. so I get it. if they don't do this boycott, people won't bother to listen to what they have to say & change will never come.

Mykolant, wingatu and leninmac like this.
  14. wingatu

wingatu Active Member

Even Stephen A. Smith agrees with the boycott. If Jacob Blake incident happened in the Philippines, he would probably dead with "nanlaban" narrative from the PNP with sachets of illegal drugs in his pocket.

The message is actually simple equal human rights for all.

greta87 likes this.
  15. p.pipster

p.pipster PhilMUG Addict Member

Unprecedented. Kudos to the league. I have stopped watching the NBA (and commercial sports for that matter) for years now. Maybe I need to go back watching it.

Wait...

leninmac likes this.
  16. greta87

looks like the playoffs will resume.

https://sports.yahoo.com/report-nba...e-playoffs-after-oneday-strike-160301039.html

I was actually thinking about this, I guess the players realized as well that a functioning NBA supports a lot of livelihoods; not just the players. but also the refs, trainers, coaches, team staff, media, etc... if the season doesnt restart, no work for these guys.. players wont get hit as much due to their high pay, but the rest of the league and the allied businesses will.

leninmac and gaol like this.
  17. leninmac

I always thought that Lebron had a great chance of surpassing Kareem in the NBA’s all time scoring list. Now I’m having second thoughts.

18. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

Heat is up 2-0...

Hardest part for the Bucks, Giannis is an unrestricted free agent next year.

catalysmic likes this.
  19. catalysmic

catalysmic Active Member

Giannis needs to taste PlayOff Success... NOW.. or He'll be the next Garnett in Minny.. too Good Too extended Too Exerted..