NBA 2018-2019

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by docjbr, Jun 10, 2018.

1. Gman2000

Gman2000 Member

How can the medical staff clear KD from playing with that kind of risk?

2. pochiman

pochiman PhilMUG Addict Member

Finally, someone gets it. Thanks Jess. It is human nature. But then Toronto fans (me included) realize that shouldn't have happened in the first place if whoever the powers that be didn't allow KD to play to begin with. The dude's career was on the line, he was also due for the biggest contract he could have gotten come free agency so anyone in his right mind ought to have protected the player from himself. I mean, I love me some KD too especially when he was playing for OKC. It sucks I know but it is what it is. No one from the GSW felt sorry for the Spurs when Kawhi landed on Pachulia's foot a couple of years back. Injuries are a part of the game. Deal with it.

#582 pochiman, Jun 12, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
  3. macdiver

macdiver PhilMUG Addict Member

Watching the Game 5 NBA Finals Film Room...

It turns out that the Raptors timeout, the one after Kawhi exploded for 10 points which gave them a 6 point lead, was called to give Kawhi a breather. He spent all his energy on that 10 points burst. He was so tired that he airballed a turn-around jumper on the play after that timeout and he never took another shot after it.

And on the last play, Kawhi Leonard was so far from the basket when he got the ball... that's why the Warriors were able to double team him when he tried to drive to the basket. That was on Nick Nurse. That was when he should've called a timeout.

The game is all about momentum... knowing "when to press the turbo boost button" and when to break your opponent's momentum. Kawhi Leonard and the Raptors pressed the button too early and they paid dearly for it. In contrast, the GSW have mastered the art of using the turbo boost button. How many times have we witnessed how the Dubs turn a close game into blowouts with those 10-point swings?

wingatu likes this.
  4. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

Well it doesn’t matter that home fans are just as idiots elsewhere, regardless if they’re from Canada or continental US. First you have a “couple of Toronto fans” (c’mon that was the entire arena) heckling and clapping and shouting obscenities at KD after he went down with an injury. And then they buckled and cheered him, like a switch they were. Pathetic...

Then they go against Steph Curry’s mother calling her, of all things, a whore, a nigger and a stupid bitch (which I am not censoring) because it just goes to show that Canadians are as vile and dirty and disrespectful as anyone else when they come to games. Mind games they say, my ass, they’re just as stupid as the trolls who run naked or bear signs inserting themselves on court or in the field during games. That’s no heat of the game or passionate decorum that would justify racism and bigotry and crass behavior. So what you lost, deal with it, on to the next game.

Canadians are good people. What a load of crap. I take back what I said about them being respectable and somber folks. Anyone who says that had never been to Toronto International and seen two lines in immigration: one for white people and another for different colored people.

wingatu, ericb, Sunil_K and 1 other person like this.
  5. macdiver

Speaking of fans...

Drake was really annoying during game 1, but he has toned down his antics the rest of the series.

I wonder what changed his behaviour...
    Was it the memes on social media that showed his KD and Curry tattoos (which he tried to hide with an armband in game 1)?

6. gadgetmonger

gadgetmonger PhilMUG Addict Member

I read that he was talked to by the league and maybe even the Raptors organization because it was borderline disruptive to the game.

macdiver likes this.
  7. catalysmic

catalysmic Active Member

Game 2 Finals... Obama told him to behave :ROFLMAO:

macdiver likes this.
  8. SE20

SE20 PhilMUG Addict Member

I don’t have an opinion about Canadians. I only follow one of them.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

hitme64 likes this.
  9. Jess

Jess PhilMUG Addict Member

looks like AD will be a Laker before the Draft

10. extremeshot

extremeshot PhilMUG Addict Member

I believe it was a collaborative decision between the medical staff, the front office, and yes KD and his camp as well. If one of them said "no" then I don't believe KD would have played. Injuries happen all the time and I don't believe any of them thought that this calf injury would lead to a torn achilles, else, they wouldn't have risked it for a championship that they already have a lot of. It boils down to KD being a baller at heart and a true Warrior - it seems ball IS life for him. IF he didn't come back, critics would say he's soft and won't play through injury and once he got hurt, are the first to lay blame. He can't win either way. It sucks because KD will easily lose 1 year of his prime and no one knows what kind of player he will become when he returns - achilles injuries are notorious that way. And for a big man with an explosive first step like KD, you have to wonder what this injury will do to his game.

I don't think he should be worried about the money. His primary objective now is getting back on the court and it was clearly evident by the immediate surgery so that the count down to his return begins. He can opt in with the Dubs and still get paid while he rehabilitates his injury and regardless of his achilles injury, any sane NBA team would still offer a player like KD the max despite the question marks when he returns.

ronjet, gaol and wingatu like this.
  11. catalysmic

catalysmic Active Member

if KD opt in.. Can GSW trade him away o_O

for AD or Zion :LOL:

hypothetically of course..

12. extremeshot

Good point. This KD injury obviously has huge implications across the league. If KD opts in, his salary will be tied up with the Dubs cap therefore they can expect a similarly thin bench next season. If he opts in, in theory the Dubs can trade him, and we can assume there will still be takers despite the risks. This hypothetical trade will only make sense of course if KD expresses his desire to re-sign long term to this new team. But will teams like the Knicks who were building up momentum in acquiring KD in free agency still be as eager knowing they will throw away the 2019-2020 season? No one knows the answer now but looking at how the PG gamble worked for OKC and possibly the Kawhi gamble working for the Raptors, it tells you that acquiring stars even as rentals, have huge potential payoffs so when faced with the choice, you do it. Now which gutsy GM will make that offer and if an "attractive" offer presents itself, can Bob Myers resist the temptation at the risk of alienating KD and to a much larger extent, his teammates, fans?

This first Lebron-less finals in years had NBA execs nervous but it has already provided more entertainment and drama than expected. My Dubs fandom aside, I'd like to see an epic game 7 between these 2 teams - the fans and the league deserve it. Now let's see what happens tomorrow.

macdiver and catalysmic like this.
  13. Netskipper

Netskipper Well-Known Member

I came in this series rooting for the raps but now im ok with GSW winning it.

Some of these Canadian fans are mean. Why they heckling Steph’s mom and dad?Dell Curry used to play there. Have they forgotten?

And the classless cheering when KD went down.

Dont get me wrong though. Lowry is all class and even Drake was kind to KD when the man went down. Still love this Toronto team. The fans though are just like every other fan base

Still this is for the Raps to lose but its disheartening to see Kawhi just doing nearly everything without much help and I wont be surprised if GSW pull out a win tomorrow.

wingatu likes this.
  14. macdiver

I think KD will be fine.

The shooting touch will always be there even if he loses a step when he returns after this injury. He'll learn to adjust. At worst, he'll be a smaller version of Dirk Nowitzki... which isn't bad at all.

extremeshot likes this.
  15. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

That classless booing and clapping on KD didn’t win points for Canadians who’ve always been seen to be more respectful and polite in most occasions. I don’t buy their “it’s the Finals, buddy” bullshit either.

Plus points go to the City of St. Louis for winning the Stanley Cup over the Boston Bruins in TD Garden right in the heart of Celtics country. And when the St. Louis fans celebrate, it’s as low-key and less rowdy as the Tiger fanatics after he won the Masters this year. Let’s see how Toronto reacts when the Raptors take a win at Golden State or, we forbid, at home in Game 7.

16. Mykolant

Mykolant PhilMUG Addict Member

Between Down Under and the Great White North
    ^no big deal with the Canadians acting like regular folk. They're just like any other fanbase, give or take a few points for politeness. I'll bet they'll go just as crazy if and when the Raptors take the championship.

They've set up satellite Jurassic Parks in other cities in Canada where fans gather to watch the game on outdoor wide screen displays.

Meanwhile, it's all quite in my neck of the woods of Moncton, New Brunswick.

17. extremeshot

Agreed. But maaaannnn, if that happens, we're going to miss his killer hesi crossover that's only .03s slower than Iverson's - and the dude is close to 7 feet tall! (source: Sports Science in YouTube)

upload_2019-6-14_6-44-9.png

Attached Files:

#597 extremeshot, Jun 14, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
    catalysmic and macdiver like this.
  18. ransom

ransom Well-Known Member

Weird way to wind up a title series.

19. Mykolant

Mykolant PhilMUG Addict Member

Between Down Under and the Great White North
    Congrats to the Toronto Raptors!