NBA 2018-2019

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by docjbr, Jun 10, 2018.

1. extremeshot

extremeshot PhilMUG Addict Member

If the Dubs defense contained Dame and CJ, I think they can lock down Lowry and FVV as well (they are even smaller than the Portland guards). Kawhi will then be alternately defended by Draymond, Iggy, and Klay. If KD comes back at some point during the finals, he can rotate for the help D on Kawhi as well. I agree though that Kawhi will still get his numbers because he's that good. It won't be easy, pretty, nor efficient though.

It will not be difficult to contest. It would be impossible haha.... Giannis doesn't seem to have the Kareem finesse in his game though so I'm not sure if he can pull the skyhook off. A fundamental turnaround bank shot ala-Duncan seems more plausible and that will equally be impossible to defend.

2. VicB

VicB PhilMUG Addict Member

I'm not sure that the Warriors would have KD guard Kawhi if KD plays. That calf muscle is still pretty iffy after only a few weeks rest. You can inject it with steroids to help the healing & dull the pain. But, one wrong move & you could train/tear the muscle again.

If they play KD, he'll most likely be guarding Gasol. Gasol does not move around as much. Even if Gasol posts up, KD can just body him with some weak-side help without straining that calf so much.

3. docjbr

docjbr PhilMUG Addict Member

No one does steroids on that. Back in the 80's and 90's, they did that, but in the past decade or so, not an option anymore.

4. eag

eag PhilMUG Addict Member

5. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

Expect the Warriors to play like this is their first championship; none of that Finals experience for the odds to stack up on them. Curry will play like the MVP he was the first time. Klay will do what he does best, complement Curry and guard the best player on the other side. Draymond will do what he does usually, be the sparkplug of the team. And KD? If he does play, KD will take it easy. He has his sights somewhere else and wouldn’t want to lose out on a big payday. He’s had his championships and his MVPs. Now he wants to be elsewhere and be the real star of the team.

The Raptors will gun for it. They want a championship and they want it now. They can’t be sure Kawhi will be there next time around. This is their time. But other than Kawhi, only Lowry, Ibaka, VanVleet, and possibly Gasol, can put up some numbers against an offense-oriented Warriors team. They’re raw but hungry. And most of all, they have Drake, who is the sixth man of their team. When he’s pumped up, the home crowd is pumped up, the team is pumped up.

We’ll have an incredible series to watch then.

#485 hitme64, May 28, 2019
    Last edited: May 28, 2019
    ericb, Mykolant, gaol and 2 others like this.
  6. VicB

Raptors also have Danny Green & Patrick McCaw. It'll be interesting how these 2 guys are used.

7. Dekra

Dekra PhilMUG Addict Member

^ How about Linsanity? This guy deserves a break and a time to shine once again.

Mykolant, macdiver and VicB like this.
  8. extremeshot

extremeshot PhilMUG Addict Member

The Raptors ran a very tight rotation during the playoffs (like most teams do). It's only the Dubs that went 11-12 men deep during the playoffs (and during the conference finals no less) and was a true display of Kerr's "Strength in Numbers" mantra. However, this also shows that the Dubs seemed to fear/respect Portland less than they did Houston since Kerr ran a tighter rotation against the Rockets. If Kerr does not heavily go to his death lineup in the finals, I believe it's an indication that the Dubs don't fear Toronto as much as they did Houston.

I personally would have loved to see Dubs vs Bucks in the finals because I think Milwakee matches up better with Golden State. I still don't trust any Raptor outside of Kawhi. We'll see on Friday!

#488 extremeshot, May 29, 2019
    Last edited: May 29, 2019
    macdiver likes this.
  9. leninmac

leninmac PhilMUG Addict Member

10. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

I heard they're very nice people... but not even nudity? :)

hitme64 likes this.
  11. hitme64

Haven’t seen Canadian Bacon? A preposterous plot of the US trying to wage war against its friendly neighbor Canada. Even the plot is a giveaway about how they see their bordering state.

We won’t expect bouts of nudity if ever Toronto wins the Finals, maybe some light-hearted cussing and harsh words, some pushing and jostling, maybe breaking out into song and dance. :whistle:

12. macdiver

macdiver PhilMUG Addict Member

I was also wondering why the Bucks never played him at the post. What happened to his lessons with the Mamba?! It was always him driving from the outside... kinda like what Lebron has been doing all throughout his career. You can't rely on athleticism every time. Similar to Westbrook, he still needs to learn how to slow down his game. He's becoming a Lebron clone. I want to see the Bucks end a play with him, rather than start a play with him.

A skyhook would be a perfect go-to-move for someone like Giannis... a homage to the great, Lew Alcindor. In contrast to his high-octane game, a move like the skyhook can increase the longevity of his career. Unlike KD or KP (the Unicorn), Giannis has yet to add finesse to his game for him to execute "the Dirk" instinctively. And Forget the 3's... a sweeping skyhook would be a more natural move for Giannis.

I also noticed that he went to his old habit of spending the allotted 10 seconds before taking a shot at the free throw line. I don't know if the extra seconds is even enough for him to give him a boost for the game... if that is the intention. But counting down and shooting til the 10 seconds limit expires definitely adds unwanted pressure and can intensify the distraction from the fans for someone who lacks the confidence in his shooting. He even shot an airball at the free throw line in game 4.

Getting to the conference finals is already an achievement for someone as raw as Giannis. Getting there is one thing... winning it is another.

I think that this is what Jason Kidd has been saying all along.

13. hitme64

He can’t even get on the team bus in Milwaukee.

Dekra likes this.
  14. Netskipper

Netskipper PhilMUG Addict Member

I have to be honest that I didnt like Kawhi but after seeing interviews of him lately, he just seems to know what to say and he appears authentic. I know that drama sells but this guy represents the strong quiet guy who seldomly speaks but with sincerity and conviction. Im now a fan of this guy.

For Spurs fans, what do you feel after his uncle revealed the reason for their trade request?

Sunil_K and hitme64 like this.
  15. hitme64

Kinda like Tim Duncan, except for the trade...unlike his flashier contemporaries and other loudmouth stars of this decade, Kawhi is efficient and deadly when he's silent, though he's been seen at times showing emotion after a loss (like slamming his locker or getting away from interviews) or appear sullen when he knows he could have done something but didn't (like Game 2 of the Bucks-Raptors when he blamed himself for not doing so much)...

Compare him then to, hmmm, Lebron (well, he's a King so he can do what he wants), or PG, or even Harden, and you have a consummate player with amazing skills...

But still, the real question is: would it be enough to stymie a Warriors' lineup and quell a dynasty?

Mykolant and catalysmic like this.
  16. VicB

Giannis should take some lessons from Olajuwon. His turnaround fadeaway jumpers were killers.

hitme64, Sunil_K, macdiver and 2 others like this.
  17. wingatu

wingatu Active Member

No candies, Hershey's, potato chips, pasta, gummy worms, wine...

hitme64 likes this.
  18. hitme64

^I’m seeing that guy given the enviable role of guarding Kawhi. We’ll see just how great it will be watching these two outwit each other.

Now that Klay never made it to the All-NBA teams and with it a blockbuster mega contract, would he still be as motivated as he wants to be in this series?

And with KD still a mystery as to when he’ll play or not, and Boogie likely also to miss at least three games, would the Warriors be capable enough to overcome a more cohesive Raptors unit that has played with more motivation and fire in these playoffs?

19. Netskipper

Netskipper PhilMUG Addict Member

RAPS TAKE GAME 1!

What a game! Siakam was a beast!

This is the Dubs first ever game 1 finals loss. They really miss KD.

In addition, Iggy seems to be hurt..

20. jerichojanolo

jerichojanolo Well-Known Member

Shaq had a teammate who played in the 1983 NBA Finals??? Wow!

Remember, he was drafted in 1992.

Nice quiz. How are they?