NBA 2018-2019

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by docjbr, Jun 10, 2018.

1. duncan

duncan Well-Known Member

I think it's too late now. After 15 years in the league, he should be the one mentoring. He is after all possibly the richest and most influencial sports figure today.

macdiver likes this.
  2. courtside3

courtside3 PhilMUG Addict Member

Even now, I’m shocked at the scope and extent of criticism being thrown LeBron’s way. It’s as if he can do no right, or that he does rarely and with caveats.

True, LeBron’s not perfect. Then again, nobody is. He’s a prima donna, but so was Michael Jordan. He complains a lot, but so did Tim Duncan. He revels in the limelight, but so did Kobe Bryant.

From my vantage point, LeBron’s the second-best player to have ever graced the hardwood. His peak is nowhere near Jordan’s, but his longevity cannot be denied. There’s just no point in comparing numbers, because context is important. For instance, naysayers are fond of pointing out that he’s three and six in the Finals. Yet, advanced analytics comparing strength of rosters show that of those nine appearances, only in 2011 did he not exceed expectations.

It’s easy for — and the right of — fans and armchair pundits to draw conclusions based on subjective arguments. Some like apples. Others like oranges. The flipside, of course, is that it’s even easier not to compare, and to just appreciate greatness as it unfolds regardless of source.

Before LeBron set foot in the NBA as a Number One draft pick, he already carried the burden of unreasonable expectations. And yet he has, through 15 years’ worth of labor, exceeded them. He has an outstanding work ethic, by all accounts the first in the weight room and the last on the court. He leads by example, and is most certainly a role model. He’s socially aware, has donated considerable time and money to help the plight of the less fortunate, and avoids trouble. He’s a devout family man and has never fallen prey to temptations of stardom.

All things considered, it’s no wonder, then, that LeBron is looked up to my those whose opinions matter most to him: his peers. They’re in awe of his exploits, and there can be no better psychic income than that coming from those who know exactly how hard it is to compile a body of work like his.

3. ransom

ransom Well-Known Member

^^^I think you can blame "The Decision" back in 2010. That marketing stunt created a lot of Lebron haters who continue to despise his personality to this day, even as they acknowledge his incredible skills .

#23 ransom, Jun 12, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
    Mykolant, courtside3 and macdiver like this.
  4. SE20

SE20 PhilMUG Addict Member

Hate, like love, is never objective, or rational.

courtside3 likes this.
  5. greta87

greta87 PhilMUG Addict Member

free agency rumors re: Lebron

1) his eldest kid just enrolled in a LA high school; Lebron has 2 houses in LA & his wife prefers that they live there.
    2) Dwayne Wade just recently hinted that Lebron's decision will be more of a lifestyle choice & not necessarily just about basketball & his chances of winning another ring.

A lot of commentators (Chris Broussard, Marc Stein. Colin Herd etc) are saying that this means, that from a strictly non-basketball standpoint, the Lakers have the upper hand in landing him this offseason.

Some are even saying that there's a good chance that Lebron, CP3 will play for the lakers by signing in the offseason & that PG3 can join them via a trade with OKC.. in exchange for some of the lakers young core... https://nesn.com/2018/06/could-lake...orge-and-chris-paul-chris-broussard-explains/

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...ron-james-and-chris-paul-teaming-up-on-lakers

for basketball reasons though, the destination that makes sense for him if he just wants to chase rings would be, Boston, With Irving being possibly traded to the Knicks. or go west to the Spurs, & join Lamarcus & Kawhi to form their own version of the big 3... these 2 teams seem to be a better fit for his talents when compared with the other teams being mentioned as possibilities such as the Sixers (overlapping talents with Simmons) and the Rockets (2 other ball centric players in Harden & CP3).

courtside3 and SE20 like this.
  6. shifty_md

shifty_md Active Member

Imagine a starting 5 of

Lonzo
    Lamelo
    LiAngelo
    LeBron
    Just throw in whoever

With Lavar landing a job as head coach, the possibilities are endless for the Lakes. :LOL::LOL::ROFLMAO:

courtside3 likes this.
  7. gadgetmonger

gadgetmonger Well-Known Member

That’s the thing though. All these negatives from other players are found in just one guy...

No one can deny LeBron’s phenomenal basketball skills and durability. He will surely be remembered for that, statistics-wise.

It’s just unfortunate for him that he is living in this age of social media and heightened scrutiny. The only way for him to come out on top is to control the narrative and he has done so very cleverly through the years through his cryptic tweets and symbolic fashon choices.

For some it’s these distractions take away the magnitude of his greatness on the court and it has made him such a polarizing personality in sports.

courtside3 and shifty_md like this.
  8. suavecito

suavecito PhilMUG Addict Member

You forgot Luol Deng. So that makes the La, Le, Li, Lo & Lu.

9. barre05

barre05 Well-Known Member

Me, personally I hate LeBron because he feels so entitled ever since he joined the NBA in 2003. Heck, even before he was drafted, he felt like the rules didn't apply to him. Plus the self-proclamation of being the Chosen One.

When he got into the league, I saw that, no doubt, this was a talented player. More like Magic than MJ or Bird. Only problem I had with himwas that he shrunk during the biggest moments of games (he still does, from time to time), and his constant flopping.

I was still able to tolerate him until 2010, when he began ring-chasing. From then on, I just couldn't stand the guy. Heck, I found Kobe more appealing (and to think I hated Kobe from the time he was throwing up airballs in the LAL-UTAH series in the 1998 Playoffs). Kobe was just more ruthless and had no qualms hiding his bad-ass-ness. He didn't care if people liked him.

And since 2010, all these reasons for me hating LBJ has just piled on: flops more than ever, feels more entitled than ever, and continuously proclaims himself the best in the game (sure, it may be true, but you don't say that. You let other people say that about you) even when no one is asking. But anyway, can't please everyone. Even Jordan and Russell had their naysayers. Comes with being a superstar.

Skint likes this.
  10. macjobber

macjobber Well-Known Member

All I can say is that once LeBron is gone, many will miss his once in a generation set of skills and his impressive photographic memory.

The last time I felt sad was when Jordan retired.

Never missed Kobe.

Mykolant and courtside3 like this.
  11. barre05

barre05 Well-Known Member

Tim Duncan's retirement was also saddening for fans of the old NBA. His game's fundamental soundness and his simple demeanor was just a basketball purist's dream!

Skint likes this.
  12. leninmac

leninmac PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

13. Jim2

Jim2 New Member

greta87 likes this.
  14. docjbr

docjbr PhilMUG Addict Member

Kawhi to the Spurs would be great for the Lakers... but will the Spurs send him to a foe in the Western Conference, aside from the fact that they're going to require a lot from the Lakers?

I know the game is evolving, but they seem to be targeting players that play the same "role", Kawhi, PG13, Lebron... and they have Ingram on their team already. I'm sure they'd be great for fantasy basketball, but Brad Stevens can probably wield magic a bit better than Luke Walton... and if Lebron does go to the Lakers, I wonder if Luke will just be Lue2.0.

Skint and courtside3 like this.
  15. gadgetmonger

gadgetmonger Well-Known Member

Pop will in no way allow Kawhi to go to the Lakers and make them a superteam when LeBron or Paul George join. He might send him to a lottery team like the Suns for Booker and the No. 1 draft pick.

docjbr and courtside3 like this.
  16. courtside3

Agreed. Getting the three to play together is a long shot at this point. First and foremost, the Spurs would have to agree to trade Kawhi to the Lakers for pennies to the dollar (including the albatross of a contract of the Shadow of the Player Known as Luol Deng).

It’s the only way they can keep the salary cap space they require to sign George, and then LeBron. And the acquisition will have to be in that order, because The Decision 3.0 will not happen unless a championship-ready roster is already in place.

True, stranger things have happened in the NBA. Then again, even if Magic weaves, well, magic, he can’t turn R.C. Buford into Kevin McHale in order to reenact the Garnett robbery.

17. greta87

It’s a long shot yes but who would want to touch Kawhi now that he’s expressed a preference for an LA team? Spurs can let him stay for the remainder of his contract & hope that he changes his mind about not staying. But it’s a very big risk that the spurs willl be taking as Kawhi can simply walk away for nothing by 2019. Good luck finding a trade partner willing to let go of assets for a 1 year rental of Kawhi who may not even suit up. If this rumor is true, & theres a big chance it is (with Woj reporting it this time) the spurs are screwed. & if I’m the lakers, I’d offer Kuzma & Ingram straight up for Kawhi; including Deng’s salary for the numbers to match up. They can even throw in their draft pick they picked up from the trade with the Cavs.

I guess people are also looking into the fact that Pop won’t be there forever, 2020 tops (?). & the spurs won’t be the same without him. So why stay beyond that.. In much the same way the lakers weren’t the same way after Jerry West or Jerry Buss left..

Vegas has the lakers at 6-1 odds at winning the championship based purely on rumors about LeBron, PG13 & Kawhi teaming up.. during the finals, they were 100-1, I think but no higher than 50-1. & it’s only been 2 weeks since.

While the probability is not high of this actually happening ; there are certain things going for the lakers in making this possilbe. They have the biggest salary cap among all the teams. & can straight up offer 2 max salaries to LeBron & PG13. By releasing Randle & stretching Deng’s contract. Second is the lure of LA & the lakers as a franchise . LeBron lives there during the off-season while PG13 & Kawhi are LA natives who have expressed a preference for playing in LA.. &. Finally, it’s Magic Johnson & rob Pelinka running the show now; not the bumbling Jim Buss.. I may add as well that Kobe is no longer in the locker room .. if the rumors were true that he turned off previous free agents from coming to LA.

One thing is for sure, the next 3 weeks will be unbelievably crazy for laker fans waiting for word on the free agency market,

#37 greta87, Jun 16, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2018
    courtside3 and SE20 like this.
  18. SE20

SE20 PhilMUG Addict Member

@greta87

Kawhi, PG13, and Bron in the Lakers? Please make it happen, universe.
    I'm coming home!

greta87 and courtside3 like this.
  19. courtside3

Exactly. The glass has the same volume. I see it as half empty. You see it as half full. :)

greta87 likes this.
  20. greta87

After all the strikeouts in free agency the last 6 years, I don’t want to keep my hopes up. Nothing wrong with dreaming though ..

Although I’d say the chances of LeBron & PG13 signing up are pretty high.. & the Vegas oddsmakers agree with me on this one.