NBA 2018-2019

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by docjbr, Jun 10, 2018.

1. Dekra

Dekra PhilMUG Addict Member

Yey! My tito came through! He got me tickets to the game via flashseats.com. I think it costs more than $100 though, at the bleachers (I think that $75 doesn't include tax yet)

March couldn't come soon enough! :)

ronjet, extremeshot and SE20 like this.
  2. SE20

SE20 PhilMUG Addict Member

Good job! At most games they allow you to come earlier than tipoff, and you can watch the teams practice. I was lucky once to see Kobe, in his prime, at shooting practice before a game. Unforgettable.

ronjet, extremeshot and Dekra like this.
  3. extremeshot

extremeshot PhilMUG Addict Member

Nice... Yes, definitely come an hour or two before tip-off so you can explore the grounds, merchandise, and yes watch the players' warm-up/shoot around. In some stadiums, they have activities you can participate in outside of the arena too. Coming in early is also a nice strategy to avoid traffic but that shouldn't be a problem in Houston because their fans are known for arriving late and leaving early :p.

Also hope that the roster of both sides are healthy and playing. Enjoy!

ronjet and Dekra like this.
  4. catalysmic

catalysmic Active Member

Luka = Legit Talent (y)

macdiver likes this.
  5. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

My only NBA game I ever watched was the Knicks vs Warriors in February 2018 where beloved New York fell flat over Klay Thompson’s 3-pt sniping. Final score 125-111.

The best thing about watching a game at Madison Square Garden is the electric crowd, the A-list guests, and the cool merchandise. My peeve was that we were in the upper box and we actually couldn’t see the players on court and got our action on the Jumbotron.

After the game, it rained so hard outside it was freezing cold. We had to walk from MSG to Broadway all the way because traffic was horrendous.

I also got myself a Knicks cap.

jbfirefly, gaol, Mykolant and 3 others like this.
  6. Dekra

Boss, I remember my late father in law sharing his experience watching MJ in a Wizards game, in DC. Among their group was Carlos Garcia and Angie Reyes (who arrived late with their tickets) :)

hitme64 likes this.
  7. ogretrunks

ogretrunks Member

Sharing my own NBA live experience:

2002 - PHI vs HOU - That was the Steve Francis and Yao Ming era. It was a blow out against the speedy and skinny Iverson so around
    the 4th quarter we were able to go down the front row seats for a better view. Yao Ming was first thing you will notice once you get
    into the arena. He was just that HUGE.

2015 - BOS vs CLE - US being LBJ fans, we opted to watch this instead of the the previous game - BOS vs GSW which was a nail biter won by the Celtics.
    The game plan was very simple for CLE, LBJ drives and he either goes for the score or 3 pt kick out to a sniper waiting. EZ PZ win by CLE.
    We were rewarded by a LBJ reverse dunk at around the 3rd qtr if I recall correctly :)

SE20 and hitme64 like this.
  8. gaol

gaol PhilMUG Addict Member

My NBA Live experience thus far:

Watched a Knicks vs Bulls game with my then 11-year-old son at MSG in April 2014 during our very brief visit to NY. We were able to get good seats--almost dead center, just above and behind the bank of TV cameras covering the game. Before the game I was a bit nervous about the legitimacy of my electronic tickets because I didn't get them from NBA.com (sold out) but from StubHub.com, which I discovered after the purchase was apparently some sort of online site where NBA electronic ticket scalpers and (desperate) buyers meet and transact.

What struck me about the game was that once it started, it was one big variety show from beginning to end: dance numbers from the cheerleaders, young students, hip-hop artists, etc.; T-shirt tosses, kissing cams, dancing cams, half-court shootouts, and so on. There was no lull in the activities happening on-court. In fact, all these extras more than made up for the actual game which was kinda boring (no-bearing anymore, neither team had made it to the playoffs). The Knicks lost but it seemed the sellout crowd didn't mind and still felt they got their money's worth.

Highlight for my son was Joakim Noah raising his arm in salute when he noticed my son watching him during their warm-up practice before the game. Priceless.

#248 gaol, Jan 17, 2019 at 12:47 PM
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2019 at 3:04 PM
    SE20 and Dekra like this.
  9. Roman

Roman Let's hug it out!
    Staff Member

My first NBA Live experience was pretty action-packed. Watched back in 2012 in Staples where my Clippers (Lob City era) played the Thunder. Of course my Clips won, but to add to the experience, I caught a shirt during the T-shirt Toss, the season ticket holder who just graduated from high school sunk the halfcourt shot to win a brand new Jeep, saw Khloe Kardashian up close (although not considered a highlight really), and Ryan Hollins got into a fight with Kendrick Perkins.

#249 Roman, Jan 17, 2019 at 1:43 PM
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2019 at 1:49 PM
    SE20 and Dekra like this.
  10. Dekra

^ These stories make my mouth water with anticipation; I hope the game won't disappoint and it has to be a close one and not a blowout.
    Looking forward to the Harden step baaaaaacks and the Steph and Klay 3s. Also want to see Boogie get into a fight hehe.

The ticket QR code is now saved to my phone

11. greta87

greta87 PhilMUG Addict Member

I'm usually in LA once or twice a year & during the months of March/April and June/July.. I try to catch a game at Staples as much as I can. except for the last 4 years, the lakers have been irrelevant and haven't been in action come June (out of the playoffs) so I haven't been visiting. This April though, I'll make sure to catch Lebron in the purple & gold live.

#251 greta87, Jan 17, 2019 at 3:20 PM
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2019 at 4:02 PM
    Mykolant, SE20 and Dekra like this.
  12. SE20

My favorite live NBA story... 2002 playoff game between Lakers and Blazers at Staples. The prime of Shaq and Kobe vs. Rasheed, Pippen, Stoudemire, Dale Davis.

• Pregame, almost all of the players warming up, shooting, playing 3 on 3, etc.
    • Kobe comes out late, shoots (I counted) 20 2-pt jumpers, swishing 19 straight, the last one rattling out. Shoots 10 3-pointers, swishes 9, the last one rattling out. Satisfied that he had calibrated his shooting hand, disappears into the dugout.
    • Shaq comes out. All of the players looked thinner in person. Shaq is the only one who looked even bigger in real life.
    • Game time. Chick Hearn was still announcing the game on Lakers radio. I learned that a good reason why the LA crowd was notoriously quiet was that most of them had headsets, listening to Chick while watching the game.
    • Ruben Patterson was billed as the "Kobe-stopper." After the game, Shaq quipped, "Yeah, he stopped Kobe from scoring 35, as he had "only" 34. All NBA players look athletic in real life; Kobe looked much smoother than the rest. "Ocho! Ocho!" the Spanish-speaking crowd chanted. Kobe still wore no. 8.
    • Shaq repeatedly slammed into Davis, while backing him down. You could actually hear the hits on Davis's body. He mercifully fouled out. "Hit the road, Jack!" the crowd sang.
    • Lakers won. They only lost one game that year on the way to the third of their threepeat rings.
    • My son, steeped in Lakers lore (from me) and a big Kobe fan, was in heaven.

Dekra, isaak, Mykolant and 1 other person like this.
  13. SE20

And the player that I could have watched, for free!, but never got to... Michael Jordan

I have a good friend from Chicago. He bought season tickets to the Bulls before they drafted Jordan. You can see him under the goal in many videos. Throughout the 90s, every year, he would say, "Get your ass on a plane, live at my house, let's go watch MJ, then listen to blues music in the bars."

I would always say, "Yeah, but next year. I'm too busy this year." So I actually said no to watching MJ live, in his championship years, for free. Next thing I knew, he had retired.

Lesson: Never say no to a chance to watch an NBA game.

#253 SE20, Jan 17, 2019 at 4:01 PM
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2019 at 5:38 PM
    suavecito, Dekra, isaak and 3 others like this.
  14. nethrow

nethrow Active Member

Watched Blazers vs Knicks at MSG back in 2012. Portland was blown out by 30+, Nate McMillan was fired two days later, and the Blazers went on full rebuild mode and drafted Damian Lillard three months later.

Second live NBA game was December 2017, Blazers vs Lakers at Staples. It was pre-Lebron era in LA, so of course the Blazers won. :)

SE20 likes this.