NBA 2016-2017

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by infiniteloop, Jun 14, 2016.

Tags:
  1. putakti

putakti Active Member

As per Klay and Draymond Green, they take turnovers seriously especially Steve Kerr. I understand them because in stats it can affect how they are performing.

2. greta87

greta87 PhilMUG Addict Member

the Dubs didn't embarrass the Wizards, the Wizards embarrassed themselves.... all this whining... & I wonder too if it was Shaq (or somebody like Shaq) shooting that 3, whether Jennings would shove him like he did Javale.. perhaps not... oh well.

extremeshot likes this.
  3. extremeshot

extremeshot PhilMUG Addict Member

And the shove just prolonged their agony and increased the margin some more :). Just as the whining has unnecessarily prolonged the spotlight on an already concluded game.

On to the playoffs (I'm so excited)! Standings and their recent poor performance aside, I still think the Cavs can dominate the East. Though the matchup of Cavs VS Celtics this coming Thursday might be a good gauge of this presumption. I hope no one sits this one out :p.

greta87 likes this.
  4. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

I'm thinking that the Cavs don't want to meet the Heat during the first round, owing to the fact that Le the Bron wouldn't want to meet Eric Spoelstra then, and considering their second-half record so far, Miami is being seen as the East giant-killer during these playoffs...

Having said that, here's to Isiah Thomas kicking The Bron in the nuts this Thursday...
    kick-in-the-nuts.jpg

5. Godfather

Godfather PhilMUG Addict Member

Why I believe in the Spurs :

Incidentally, that Khal Drogo is one hard working Aquaman. In between shooting movies and tv shows, he shoots hoops for OKC too.

[​IMG]

macdiver, Sunil_K and hitme64 like this.
  6. extremeshot

Well looking at the standings and with 5/6 games left, the Heat can still trade places with several teams in terms of seeding, potentially even drop out of the playoffs all together.

Assuming the Cavs win tomorrow against Orlando, they will be facing the Celtics on Thursday with identical standings (50-27). I love the impending story line there - it will be the battle for supremacy in the (weaker) East. I know Cavs fans downplay the importance of regular season games and seeding but if they are serious about going back-to-back, they need all the advantage they can get. And that means home court advantage in the East by going for #1 seed (regardless of who they will face) is imperative.

greta87 and hitme64 like this.
  7. docjbr

docjbr PhilMUG Addict Member

I know, I'm a Dubs fan, but, how can someone hate this guy?

ronjet, gaol and Sunil_K like this.
  8. extremeshot

I have a theory there. I think most of his haters are Lebron fans because in Curry's back-to-back MVP seasons, he came the closest to making Lebron irrelevant in the league that he has dominated for many years. The picture that was being painted was that this chosen one/super athlete was being taken out of the limelight by a 6'3", 190lb, barely athletic wonder-boy. Imagine if the Cavs didn't win the title last year - Dubs set a regular season record, Curry was selected unanimous MVP (another first), Lebron's image of decline would have been strengthened. Sure, Curry has some swagger and dance moves that might be slightly irritating but I don't think it's enough to hate him. That's what I think, at least.

In other news, Raptors are pissed at Lance Stephenson for another "uncalled for" layup. I still don't get it. They say it's an unspoken rule not to humiliate your already defeated opponent. But if we really think about it, the layup did not change the outcome of the game - the Raptors were still blown out.

gaol and Godfather like this.
  9. SE20

SE20 PhilMUG Addict Member

I don't get "hating" players or teams, in general.

The only time that I consider hating to be reasonable is when Lakers fans hate the Celtics and vice-versa :)

10. greta87

The Cavs have been a .500 team since the all-star break. According to Elias sports, no team has won it all after losing 10 games or more in March (heading into the playoffs). The cavs were 7-10 in March & 21-19 since the all star break.. they also needed 2OTs to beat the Pacers recently. yikes.

#350 greta87, Apr 5, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
    extremeshot and Godfather like this.
  11. extremeshot

Yeah, I read that as well and in as much as I want to believe the stats, the Cavs have already proven us wrong last year (no one has ever come back from being down 3-1 in the finals until the Cavs did) so I cannot count them out yet. But it certainly shows in their game this season - it seems like they do not have the winning attitude this year. It's like they're mentally not into it and it almost feels like they are not as hungry this season.

That's why I like the Warriors being cold-blooded and hungry because they need that to win it all this year. Can't wait for KD to return.

#351 extremeshot, Apr 5, 2017
  12. greta87

^ their defense hasnt been the same. it seems like they aged 10 years in 1 year. Their seemingly good pick ups from waivers/ or trades like Bogut & Deron haven't panned out so far. but youre right, can't count them out.

extremeshot likes this.
  13. fcdiesta

fcdiesta PhilMUG Addict Member

I think the unwritten rule here is that if the outcome is already decided and there is less than 24 seconds on the game clock, the winning team should not try to score anymore so as not to increase the scoring disparity. Some teams even take the turnover for a shot clock violation instead of adding to the scoring gap. That's why the Wizards took offense recently at JaVale McGee for shooting the 3 pointer when the shot clock was about to expire. I remember a game from several years back where a Cavalier was also berated for trying to score near the end of the game so that their fans can enjoy a freebie (I think the fans were to get a burger if the home team scored 100+ points in the game).

I sometimes think that it leads to a boring end to games especially when teams just dribble out the last 24 seconds to end the game, but sportsmanship-wise, I think the unwritten rule here makes some sense.

extremeshot likes this.
  14. extremeshot

^I get what you're saying but kinda makes us wonder why the rule is unwritten. Probably because not everyone is required to follow it otherwise, it would have been part of the rule book. I'm all for sportsmanship btw. However, I personally won't get offended if the the team that has already defeated me keeps trying to score if there is still time on the clock to take shots. That's their prerogative in my opinion. Now on my losing team's end, it is also our prerogative to still play out the last few seconds or just take the shot clock penalty. Otherwise, let's write a rule where if a team is down 20 with say 1 minute left or something to that effect, just sound the buzzer and call the game done. See that's the challenge with unwritten anything. Since it's not written, it's open to different interpretations so we should not penalize or criticize anyone for not following it.

Again, that's just me being sportsmanlike as well to take the L that I could do nothing about to change anyway. If I was the Cavalier, I'd give the fans their free burgers too :). I mean the game is already done and my extra points won't change the outcome BUT it would make thousands of fans happy. Maybe that's just me :D.

Yup, they always seem tired despite being the team known for resting their starters the most. I say they have lost some of the fire, to the point of being borderline cocky, since they already won last year.

#354 extremeshot, Apr 5, 2017
    ronjet, gaol and macdiver like this.
  15. macdiver

macdiver PhilMUG Addict Member

So this game has now officially become a game for softies and cry babies.

No handchecking...
    No taunting...
    Flopping...
    Flagrant Foul 1 & 2...

And now, no last second field goal attempts on a blowout game because the losing team will feel bad. LOL.

I won't be surprised if they rewrite the rulebook for this. SMH.

ronjet, Sunil_K, greta87 and 2 others like this.
  16. Misterclutch

Misterclutch Member

they made a mistake on drafting this player. blame it on mitch and jim buss

Sunil_K likes this.
  17. greta87

with a game left in the season, the Celtics are now the #1 team in the East. A win in their last game & they'll have homecourt advantage all the way to the Eastern Conference finals. meanwhile, the Cavs continue to stumble. losing 2 games where they were leading most of the way. surprisingly, Vegas odds still have them as the 3rd team with the best chance to win it all, next to the Warriors & Spurs. whereas, money ball metrics have them somewhere in the middle of the playoff pack with 2% chance of repeating as champs.

extremeshot and Roman like this.
  18. extremeshot

Looks like the Cavs have given up on chasing the #1 seed too. They sat Lebron and Kyrie today and will likely sit Lebron in their last game against the Raptors so the #1 seed is really for the Celtics to grab and own. What happens if the Celtics lose and the Cavs win their last games respectively resulting in identical 52-30 standings - who gets home court advantage in this scenario?

The Vegas odds make sense to me because the Western powerhouses will take each other out anyway through a grueling post-season. The Cavs, even with their regular season woes are still favored in the east (though Atlanta showed us otherwise). So if the Cavs coast in the East (w/c is less likely this year compared to last year) and the Western teams kill each other, the Cavs still have a shot at this. Let's not forget how solid their lineup still is.

Either way, Lue is not looking good at this stage. He just announced a couple of days back that there will be no rest for Lebron and Kyrie until the #1 seed is secured but he did a full 180 today. It just makes him look like he has less control over his team than he already does.

#358 extremeshot, Apr 11, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
  19. greta87

^ it was reported that Lebron & Kyrie were out due to injuries. & Lebron will also miss the last game. so it'll be an uphill climb for the Cavs to reach #1. They hold the tie breaker against the Celtics though. I think they went 3-1 versus Boston this year.

20. SE20

SE20 PhilMUG Addict Member

There's been a lot of noise (too much, really) among sports writers regarding who should win the MVP. What's interesting, though, is that among the ex-players, or at least those that I've heard, the winner is clearly Russ. And this was before that Denver game.