My Trackpad is Acting Up.

Discussion in 'MacBook Air, MacBook & MacBook Pro' started by ticky, Aug 27, 2009.

1. ticky

ticky Guest

Need some advice.

The trackpad of my Macbook is acting up. It seems to have a difficult time recognizing how many fingers are on it when determining what action I am trying to do.

For example, when I'm using two fingers to scroll up or down it would shift to expose instead. It's also more responsive to my left hand than my right.

What does this mean? Dirty trackpad? OS glitch? And what do I need to do to fix it

#1 ticky, Aug 27, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 28, 2009
  2. ninsss

ninsss Member

any trackpad films applied? that may hinder some trackpad sensitivity. or you might want to try to open your fingers more to recognize how many fingers you are using.

hope it helps

3. zagu

zagu Well-Known Member

hmmm mine the click is acting up now i need to press harder than normal...

4. chrisjigaboo

chrisjigaboo Member

i can't click and drag anymore. but i can still double tap then drag.

5. enuhski

enuhski Active Member

which macbooks are you guys using, the polycarbonate models or the unibody?

6. chrisjigaboo

chrisjigaboo Member

im using the unibody late 2008

7. chairman

chairman Moderator
    Staff Member

I'm having problems of my own as well. However my problem is that the button doesn't respond the clicking the way it used to. I really have to press hard on it to get it to click.

I think yours might be software related. try restoring the trackpad settings to default. also see if you have the latest firmware for the trackpad.

8. ticky

ticky Guest

thanks for the replies

i'm using the unibody as well. 2.0 late 2008

chairman,

where can i find the latest firmware? Do i get this with the regular software updates I am notified of?

9. ninsss

ninsss Member

may i know if you brought it to a service center? and what was their verdict on it?

10. koppee1

koppee1 Active Member

my trackpad has a weird metallic click if i press it on the left hand side.... :(

11. zagu

zagu Well-Known Member

chariman we have the same problem. i need to press REALLY HARD for my trackpad click to respond... what can we do about it? :)

12. anthonyramos84

There is a little screw at the bottom of your macbooks (Unibody) if you remove the battery. That screw within this little triangular area adjusts the sensitivity of your trackpad. A little adjustment perhaps would fix the issue of having to click hard to get any input?

13. enuhski

enuhski Active Member

hi guys, sounds scary. this might be a yet undocumented issue with the macbook unibody.

so it is advisable to get a trackpad protector? (i recently had my top case replaced so i'm thinking about keeping it nice and oil free)

OT: just a suggestion so we can find out if it's more than an isolated problem, anyone who has issues with the trackpad in this thread should post their macbook model so we know whether we're dealing with the unibody or the polycarbonate ones. :)

14. ninsss

ninsss Member

has anyone tried this before? I enabled tap to click for the workaround of this problem :)

15. zagu

zagu Well-Known Member

i hate using tap... because im not used to it... whaha :p anyways hope we could fins a solution for this.. This just happened over night... in my case... it was working fine then suddenly BOOM... :p

16. zagu

zagu Well-Known Member

this is really getting irritating... i really need to push HARD on my trackpad...
    what do you guys think? anyone brought their MB alum to a service center?