My powerbook on leopard died on me!

Discussion in 'MacBook Air, MacBook & MacBook Pro' started by hitme64, Jul 7, 2009.

1. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

it was perfectly fine until 3PM today...i just downloaded safari 4.1 and then restarted, and then...it just kept that spinning wheel under the apple going for like 25 minutes and then this terminal-like instructions pop out saying i type "mac-boot" and then...POW! everytime it restarts, it shut downs after 30secs...it even showed the folder with question mark so i reboot...and get the same frigging, spinning wheel that keeps on shutting down after 30 secs...

that's it...is it time to bury the pb already?

2. Theus

Theus PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

yup, time to get a maxed out 13" MBP ;) seriously, baka naman makuha sa archive & install or TM restore. my 12" powerbook's still chugging along (medyo gapang lang talaga with iLife '09).

3. jaijin

jaijin Well-Known Member

Or maybe you could just reinstall OS X.

4. mark_17

mark_17 Active Member

well not yet, you might just need an os x re-installation or a harddrive replacement.

5. Kjeldor

Kjeldor New Member

Same thing happened with my sister's white macbook. It destroyed her hard drive along with her thesis that she needs to submit a week later.

6. rafaelc378

rafaelc378 Active Member

OT: Wait, is Safari 4.1 out already? I'm on 4.0.1 and Software Update doesn't post any available updates.

7. bhoyetjumpay

bhoyetjumpay Well-Known Member

i think what hitme64 means is 4.0.1 not 4.1:rolleyes:

8. macdrive007

macdrive007 Well-Known Member

something like that happened before to an iMac, Ynzal simply reinstalled OS X (after backing up) and restored the apps & user accounts. My guess is it is one of those freak boot up errors that rarely (but does) happen to OS X. Usually happens when the Mac shuts down abruptly due to power outage or when the mac suffers a bad reboot.

If it still can't be resolved, a visit to Ynzal can help. Your PB can still serve you well... Hope this helps. :)

9. bigmanblueboy

bigmanblueboy Member

yes just reinstall tiger...that should fix it

10. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

oh hey am back!

much as i would like the pbook to receive the same memorial treatment as MJ, as most of you have said, i'll give it another try, so our friendly neighborhood ynzal will take good care of it...

yep, it's 4.0.1 safari and yes, it zapped me pb some reason or another...anyway, maybe something did give in there...

so, this little pb is off to the shop while i am trying to find charlie to help out with that 13" mbp...hehe

11. madmax168

madmax168 Active Member

... and to think we usually just accept all software updates without 2nd thoughts...

didn't realize that software update was that hazardous to the health of the macs.

12. mark_17

mark_17 Active Member

that's why i always update offline, download the update then install it offline. this happened to me quite often on ibooks, powerbooks and macbooks that why i don't update online via software update. i only use software update to check if there is a new update and which update it is.

13. d1scjock

d1scjock Member

Yeah, I don't let it auto update. I usually initiate it and just install the security updates and read up on the others first.