My MagSafe Just Melted!!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Air, MacBook & MacBook Pro' started by blueberry010, Nov 14, 2007.

1. blueberry010

blueberry010 New Member

My MagSafe just melted! I didn't have any problem with it until now. My brother noticed the cord was separated from the square thing that shows the green/orange light while I was working. I searched online and found out that I'm not the only one with this kind of problem.

Visit link to know what I'm talking about : http://www.appledefects.com/?cat=33

I just called e-hub shangrila and they told me to bring it at MicroWarehouse tomorrow.I hope they replace it asap. I can't afford another day without my MacBook because I use it for work.

Anyone who had the same problem? Did Apple replace it?

This is just a sad sad day. :(

2. itnetad

itnetad Active Member

oh boy there's a lot of cases like this, hope you get a replacement free of charge since this is a design defect and apple admitted about this type of issues.

3. no_read_no_write

you can now make money with your melted adapter, there are guys in the same forum looking for the protective cap of the adapter, since your adapter is busted why not sell the cap to them? (what you know you might get it at the price of a new adapter hahaha :p )

4. DON2003

DON2003 PhilMUG Addict Member

it should be call Mac-UNSAFE, hehe

5. alfiesy

alfiesy Active Member

Same thing happened to my Macbook Pro Magsafe adapter 1 year and 6 months after it was purchased. Good thing I got extended Applecare for my unit. Got it replaced within 10 days after I brought it to Liteware Computers.

6. no_read_no_write

was your macbook pro 1st gen? (since you said it has been 1 year already)

7. alfiesy

alfiesy Active Member

Yes, first generation Macbook Pro. Just curious. Seeing how this problem seems to be design related, does Apple extend the warranty coverage for the adapters after the first year for Macbooks not covered by Applecare?

8. no_read_no_write

I have no idea regarding warranty to their design defects. apple also have not "confirmed" that it is in fact a defect unlike their previous models of the ibook/powerbook battery defects which they would replace.

i do have macbook 2nd gen the adapter is improved (seen on other websites http://www.appledefects.com/index.php?s=magsafe&submit=) and... buying an apple care for me is way too expensive so i'll just leave it to my trust in apple products that they are better than pcs ;p

9. dante

dante Member

Magsafe of my 1stGen Black Macbook fizzled out about two weeks a go, a few months after going out of warranty. Had to shell out $79 and impose on a friend in the US to bring back the new charger for me. Apple should do a general recall.
    :(

10. Juicyy

Juicyy Member

Are they any ways in which we can prevent our MagSafes to melt?

11. dominiquejames

dominiquejames Active Member

blueberry010, would it be okey if you show us a picture of how your melted magsafe looks like? and did you get your replacement?

12. alfiesy

alfiesy Active Member

don't wind it around the adapter too tightly. Been told that's a major cause of shorting.

13. blueberry010

blueberry010 New Member

microwarehouse replaced my magsafe...at first they were hesitant but i showed to them pics and foum discussions on the net...that mine wasn't an isolated case...so there....prob ko naman ngayon is..may crack ang wrist pad and natanggal sa side yung iba....if i bring it there and have it replaced....it'll be the 2nd time...

14. no_read_no_write

crack on wrist pad... meron din pics yan sa net hahaha hanapin mo sa yahoo/google :)

15. bluejeans

bluejeans Guest

just had my palmrest replaced due to a big crack. no fuss naman as it's covered daw by warranty. took about a week's wait for the part and 4 hours to replace. now I'm thinking if I should get applecare before my warranty runs out....

16. papermoon

papermoon Member

Hindi kaya madalas nahuhugot accidentaly yung magsafe before the melting happened? Kasi mukhang hindi nga masyadong matibay where the wire connects to the magnetic plug, so kung nahihila yung wire, baka nga masira at that spot at mag-short, hence the melting. winding it too tightly around the adapter might result to the same thing, kasi mukhang flimsy rin where the wire connects to the adapter body (which is why i never wind it there). I keep checking on my macbook at hindi naman nag-iinit at all at those common points of melting, so I guess it happens kapag may damage lang doon sa wire. Hindi masyadong sturdy yung design at construction, kaya extra care lang ang sagot.

17. toyM

toyM Member

My problem is different. Just yesterday, when I unplugged the magsafe from the extension cord socket, the plug just gave way! Good thing I had it unplugged already before the whole thing came apart. I tried to refit the plug, but then I noticed it was cracked already so I let it be. Good thing I have the extension plug that came with the MB package so now i am using it. A bit sturdier but more bulky also since it uses the standard Mac three-pronged plug and I have to use an extra adapted to be able to use it for the local two-slit outlets. I happen to pass by Greenhills on my way home last night so I scouted for a possible replacement to the broken plug-- I found several in a store selling it for P700 apiece. I wonder if it's covered by warranty-- I got my MB last April 2007 lang.

18. dominiquejames

dominiquejames Active Member

so blueberry, can you show us a photo of your melted magsafe? and also that cracked wristpad and all the other things that's wrong with your mac. we'd love to see it.

#18 dominiquejames, Dec 2, 2007
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2007
  19. jonnmd

jonnmd Member

mine from a macbook just bought last nov 24, 2007, i used it sa starbucks cafe, good thing na notice ko na yung leather chair nila melted na with my magsafe and and dumikit na na sa magsafe, on/off work pa ako and relaxing mode w/ the macbook for 2 hours. (30 mins on/off mode)

20. witch_md

witch_md Active Member

@johnmd what part of your magsafe melted? Have a relatively new macbook also (bought Nov 29 in SF) so I'm a little alarmed. I thought Apple fixed this problem already since there has been many reports of magsafe exploding and melting.