My Magsafe adapter just blew up

Discussion in 'MacBook Air, MacBook & MacBook Pro' started by mig, Feb 22, 2010.

1. mig

mig Active Member

Are these covered by warranty? I plugged it in today and it literally popped. There are black marks all around it. Its like the black stuff came out of the non-air tight parts of the casing. The socket itself is fine because I just tried my phone charger in it and it works fine. I don't suffer from frayed cables or anything. The case is pretty scratched up because it lives on the floor though. I plug it through the extension cord that came with my computer.

Rang the APP hotline but they're closed for the night so I don't know what to do.

[​IMG]

#1 mig, Feb 22, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2010
  2. jappy

jappy Member

hmm.
    thats weird.
    made me look at my plugged charger now.
    care to post pics of the charger itself?

3. mig

mig Active Member

Posted a pic and added details to the first post. Horrible time to lose my adapter. I've got a paper due in an hour!

4. mig

mig Active Member

Slightly related question. If I had a power surge in my room, surely not only the Magsafe would break? At the very least, wouldn't the other appliance plugged into the same socket have issues too? Last time I experienced a power surge was at my grandmother's house and literally everything in the room got fried.

EDIT: And is it possible for a surge to even go through a surge protector?

#4 mig, Feb 24, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2010
  5. Mad Mac

Mad Mac Active Member

You can ease off analyzing. It's just one of those things. The thing kicked the bucket. Buy a new one and just go with your business.

6. mig

mig Active Member

And its one of those things that is supposed to be covered by my warranty, which was confirmed by both the service center and the tech support rep I spoke to on the APP hotline.

I'm analyzing because Apple denied my request for a replacement due to it "possibly being water damage or a power surge". I'm calling BS because, unless there was a puddle of water in my room that I missed, its NEVER water damage. If it was a power surge then other items in my room would be fried too.

7. ste@lth

[email protected] Well-Known Member

There's a magsafe power adapter being sold right now at the MarketPlace, you might want to take a look and negotiate, good luck

8. elbert

elbert Active Member

Call up applecare again and insist on warranty replacement. You did everything right and the thing went kaput on you. You are entitled to a replacement. Be firm and be very upset. Raise your voice but be reasonable. See what happens. Good luck!

BTW, I'm assuming your unit is still covered by warranty. It needs to be in order to be eligible.

9. Mad Mac

Mad Mac Active Member

That is my point. If it is under warranty, the burden of proof against it is on them. You shouldn't be playing CSI to prove anything. Insist on your privileges. If tier one shoves you down, go a step higher in management. There are other resellers who will entertain your problem.

10. mig

mig Active Member

I just want to make sure the basis for my case is logical. I don't want to start arguing with CS and end up looking like a fool. I doubt any reseller can do anything about it now as its now noted under my computer's serial number that the adapter looked to have suffered water damage or a power surge.

I've already been escalated to Apple CS but I'll only be able to talk to them tomorrow as they were closed by the time I got to talk to tech support.

Thanks. Just trying to get my logic straightened out before I call customer service tomorrow. I called the APP hotline after I found out about the rejection and I was told that cases like this would be handled by customer service.

Not entirely happy that they rejected my request outright after only looking at pictures. Add to the fact that I had other "lesser" items (iPod touch and cellphone being charged) plugged in and they're working fine.

I'm under warranty until 2011 btw.

11. enuhski

enuhski Active Member

this also happened to my then 2 year old iBook charger.

From my experience with my iBook charger, i now make it a point to lug an extension cord around to make sure I don't stretch my wire too thin. So far my macbook charger seems ok, not as beat up as my other chargers. That's the only thing I can think of that can cause the explosion.

Otherwise, try to go up the ranks of apple asia mgt and negotiate with them.

12. mig

mig Active Member

So after numerous calls to both the APP hotline and my service provider, they finally set me up with both a replacement Magsafe and extension cord. There was a bit of confusion as the extension wasn't cleared along with the power adapter so I had to call them back.

The CR rep I spoke to admitted that it was highly unlikely that I plugged the adapter in right as a surge was happening, and that no other items were damaged if there was a surge. And if it was a surge, chances are that my computer would be damaged too.

Nice to finally sort it out though. Parts should come by Wednesday/Thursday this week. :D

13. mark_17

mark_17 Active Member

get the UK duckhead ac plug or the extension cord ac plug since this plugs are protected by a fuse...

14. mtrak

mtrak Member

Hi all!

I'm resurrecting this thread because I noticed that my adaptor behaves differently, depending where I plug it to charge my macbook. I notice that it sometimes heats up very quickly on some wall outlets, and doesnt heat up at all in others (i.e. UPS). What is the normal behavior when charging? Is heating up normal - or will it lessen the life of the magsafe adaptor? Should I just use the outlet that keeps keeps the adaptor cool? When the macbook is fully charged, wont the magsafe adaptor automatically stop charging? I'm afraid that if I keep continue charging a hot adaptor, it might suddenly blow up too.......

Thanks!

15. Salaryman Ryan

Salaryman Ryan PhilMUG Addict Member

Yes, the power should automatically stop charging once it hits 100%. I noticed that, the power adaptor does heat up when charging but stays cool when the battery of the Macbook is already full.

I personally make sure all of our Macs are protected with a UPS (or at least a surge protector) just to be on the safe side. I even tug along a portable surge protector whenever I need to work outside like in cafes or libraries. Also I take extra care in winding up the wire of my power adaptor and try not to wind it up too tightly. Hope that helps :)

16. bad_boy

bad_boy Watching Your Language
    Staff Member Supporter

^Where'd you get the portable surge protector? How much? :)

17. benzng

benzng Well-Known Member

plus one. i've changed 2x the adapter(all replaced by apple for free) and settled with a duckhead one.

18. metrochik72

metrochik72 Member

Same questions. TIA.