My macbook's video has gone bad. where can i have it repaired?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air, MacBook & MacBook Pro' started by javauser, Feb 27, 2010.

1. javauser

javauser Member

My macbook's video has gone bad. where can i have it repaired? warranty is already expired. sana yung mas mura. thanks.

[​IMG]

#1 javauser, Feb 27, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2010
  2. alikishi

alikishi Well-Known Member

Re: My macbool's video has gone bad. where can i have it repaired?

I don't know if it's the video card or the LCD that is the problem. You can just go to any authorized Apple service center and have it checked. Digital Hub is recommended!

3. panis

panis Well-Known Member

Since your warranty is already expired, you could try ynzal. It is no longer an authorized apple service center but they have good technicians and they charge lower than most centers. Search their website to get the complete address.

You could try calling up several service centers first to inquire about the probable defect and the estimated costs so you could compare.

4. javauser

javauser Member

where can i find a listing of service centers?

5. rg0nzales

rg0nzales Member

Here you go. Better have it checked right away.

6. mark_17

mark_17 Active Member

you need an lcd replacement..

7. javauser

javauser Member

how can i absolutely know it's the lcd that's defective, and not the video chip?

8. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

....that looks like stuck pixels of the LCD. I've had two busted LCDs under my belt. One just grayed out and the other had a linear band of solid color that won't go away (similar to yours but narrower). If it is a video chip that's busted, there would be no display at all.

9. mark_17

mark_17 Active Member

connect your macbook to an external display (LCD or CRT monitor)... if it doesn't display the same defect then its a busted LCD, if it does display the same defect then its definitely a video card problem.

but i believe its a busted LCD, you will want it to be a defective LCD since it will be more costly if its a video card problem.

10. peppers

peppers Member

To find out if it is LCD or Video card problem..or any other hardware problem in general...run AHT from ur internal boot drive...or if its no longer there...run AHT from the installer disc that comes with your laptop.

And to be sure about your findings..post the result here...so we can help you..

11. louien

louien Member

I had the same thing happen to my alum macbook (10 month old unit) last August, they replaced the lcd and the logic board as well (though I am not sure if the lcd problem has anything to do with the logic board as the replacement of the same was supposed to address the busted ethernet port of my unit)

12. peppers

peppers Member

@louien...Its sad to know that both were damaged....but I tell you what....the damaged parts could possibly be a domino effect if the tech didnt make it right. Macbooks and pros are very sensitive to be serviced and it requires a real good technician to do so to avoid damaging other parts. I always make the test by running AHT...several times before the surgical procedure is done so that I am sure what part is in question.

You will notice sometimes there are cases that a single problem of the computer becomes many...until the tech advise you to buy a new one. I have seen a lot of this kind of self proclaimed tech and geek made matters worse to a computer...and the customer suffers...SO?...be very careful in asking for a service...and one advise is...well Im not sure if the tech will allow...but ask him anyway....if you can stay for a while and watch how he does the troubleshooting and try asking some questions what he is doing..I do this thing to my client and if he ask questions, I explain while I do the job.

13. Salaryman Ryan

Salaryman Ryan PhilMUG Addict Member

I hear Ynzal has good out of warranty service. You are right, it is either the LCD or the GPU unit. If it is the GPU then they might have to replace the whole logic board. Did you buy Apple Care for your Macbook?

14. madmax168

madmax168 Active Member

If its at the same place all the time then its the LCD only. If it were the GPU, then it would appear in different locations randomly.