My airport keeps on scanning

Discussion in 'MacBook Air, MacBook & MacBook Pro' started by buffy, Mar 9, 2009.

1. buffy

buffy Member

My airport on my MB alum keeps on scanning. The connections also keeps on dropping off, switching between on/off. Just upgraded to OS X 10.5.6. I am currently using a linksys router. Other laptops connected to the router doesn't seem to experience this, altough they are running windows. I tried resetting the cable modem and the router. The same thing still happens.

Has anyone experienced this as well? any ideas?

2. snookee

snookee Member

this is also what's happening to my 1st gen MB OS X 10.5.6, also with a linksys router.

At first, I thought someone has hacked into our wifi when all of a sudden I lost my connection. I reset all settings of my router, changed the security keys, deleted plist for airport. after doing all these, I still can't connect. the weird thing is when I'm less than a foot away from the router I can connect, but when I move just a bit the connection is dropped. 2 windows laptop and an iphone can connect without any problems, it's just my macbook.

i'm thinking of bringing my MB to digital hub to have it looked at since it's still covered by applecare. but i'll still check for other symptoms and maybe i can fix it on my end.

3. chinggay

chinggay Member

This also happens to me, with a linksys router. I had it sent in for repair after months of constant failing, and so far it's been working well. I have no idea what caused the problem!

4. snookee

snookee Member

hi chinggay, where did you have your MB repaired? TIA :)

5. Chito Limson

Chito Limson Unfrozen…
    Staff Member

6. buffy

buffy Member

7. skinhead

skinhead Active Member

you can also try resetting/reboot your router or delete "preferred network" list located in your aiport. Also try deleting "airport" in the network preference and just create a new one and see if that fix the problem.

happens to me too before on my MBA but a FW update and a reset fix it on my router. HTH.

8. chinggay

chinggay Member

I had my router repaired at Microwarehouse, cause it was under warranty. Still having some problems although much less frequent than before (nothing that resetting hasn't been able to fix, so far).

9. buffy

buffy Member

i did the updates that soloworx suggested, but it still keeps on scanning. i will try resetting my router again.

do you guys think it's a compability issue with a linksys router?

10. koobi

koobi Member

I have a DLink router and my Mac mini is exhibiting the same symptoms. Already applied all the updates. iBook G4, MSI Wind and iPhone have no problems connecting from the same room.

#10 koobi, Mar 11, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2009
  11. hadrian31

hadrian31 Member

Also had the same problem with Linksys routers. My Blackbook sometimes can't detect the router...

I went to iStudio Greenhills to ask them about this but the tech guy there said that it's a common problem with Linksys routers and there's nothing he could do (?!)

What I usually do is that I reset the router (unplug then plug again). Once I do that, Airport automatically detects my wi-fi network at home... I might get an Airport Extreme or better yet, a Time Capsule to replace the linksys router in the future... :)