Must have free apps, utilities and tips and tricks!

Discussion in 'General macOS and Apps' started by ccjt, Aug 16, 2020.

1. ccjt

ccjt New Member

Hey! I don't know if there's a thread for this one already but I'm recently watching a lot of tech vlogs and one of my faves is "What's on my Mac?" videos where people share apps and utilities they install on their Macs so I thought maybe we can also talk about it here!

I just installed Dozer which is an app that will help you somehow "clean" your status bar icons by hiding them. It will also let you rearrange your status bar icons so you can put the icons you want to hide next to each other.

https://github.com/Mortennn/Dozer

Another app I just discovered but probably a lot of people has this already, is Quick View Calendar which I find really useful because it easily provides a view of the calendar since opening the default Calendar app takes some time.

I've been using the Dark Mode on Mac ever since it was introduced but I felt a little nostalgic lately (I miss the glowing Apple logo really, hahaha) so I switched to Light mode but apparently, you can use Automator and assign a keyboard shortcut so you can quickly toggle Light or Dark mode without going to System Preferences.

Tips: How to toggle Dark Mode in Mojave with a keyboard ...appleinsider.com › articles › how-to-toggle-dark-mode-...

#1 ccjt, Aug 16, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2020
  2. Shinahashirome

Shinahashirome Active Member

I've been using dozer for almost a year now. Since it's free, I find it better than vanilla or bartender.

For toggling light and dark modes, I use an app called nightowl. You can customize which apps open in light or dark mode on a per app basis.

3. jologs

jologs Active Member

Might not be applicable to everyone here but since I prefer my mouse pointer to have zero acceleration and zero smoothing, the free Steelseries Exactmouse utility for MacOS has been indispensable for me.

NTFS for Mac is also extremely useful because it allows me to use NTFS formatted external USB SSDs on the Mac while still recognizing TRIM commands when plugged into my Windows 10 machine. Something that ExFAT formatted SSD USB drives couldn't do.

For the rest, I use Google Backup & Sync to synchronize my Google Drive cloud storage across platforms. Toothfairy is what I use to manage my bluetooth audio devices. Magnet for desktop window management, DisplayCAL for use with my X-Rite i1display pro calibration instrument, Optimus Player which is the only color managed video player on MacOS I'm aware of besides the feature deficient Quicktime Player, Blackmagic Disk Speed Test, Macs Fan Control, VeraCrypt for cross-platform encryption, and Yubico Authenticator for use with my Yubikey hardware security key.

4. SizeJuan

SizeJuan New Member

Alfred - for spotlight replacement
    Coconut Battery - for tracking my battery health history
    Ampethamine - Use to keep my mac awake
    Mounty - For reading NTFS external drive

Some paid Apps
    Magnet - Pang organize ng windows
    Grand Perspective - for tracking my storage
    Beepify - For security purposes kapag nasa mga cafe, although I haven't used this app since pandemic

5. Shinahashirome

Shinahashirome Active Member

Update:
    • You may also use Rectangle.app instead of paying for Magnet. Rectangle is free and I find it to be much more intuitive.
    • For file archiving/extraction, download Keka. It's free if you don't download it in the app store.
    • Authy, a free 2FA code generator that uses the TOTP (time-based One-Time Passwords) protocol. Instead of using the google authenticator app.
    • iina as a great native media player. More battery-friendly than VLC. (it doesn't have VLC's export/transcode to another format though)

6. donetus

donetus New Member

A good alternative for Magnet is Tiles.

jbe21 and jayparalejas like this.
  7. jayparalejas

jayparalejas Well-Known Member

Wow thanks for this, I for one has purchased magnet from the app store. but find it slow at times.

Tiles is a much better alternative, albeit free.

8. jbe21

jbe21 New Member

Thanks for the info. I'm having a hard time dividing my screens for i have a lot of documents opened especially when i am working.

9. milyonaryo

milyonaryo New Member

Hi there! Speaking of NTFS, is there a newer version that I can get so I can use my Seagate hard drive on my 2020 MBP?
    Thanks!

10. jologs

jologs Active Member

milyonaryo likes this.
  11. milyonaryo

milyonaryo New Member