Must-do's in Bangkok

Discussion in 'Travel' started by elbert, Mar 5, 2008.

1. elbert

elbert Active Member

Hi MUGgers, based on previous threads posted related to the subject, it seems like a lot of members have been to Bangkok. My wife and I are going to Thailand soon. The last time I've been to Bangkok was in the 80's pa, I'm preparing myself for this short vacation by planning ahead, based on suggestions and recommendations by fellow PhilMUG members. Eating is a given, I'll be making sure to eat in as many places as possible.

So, what are the must-do's and must-sees when in Bangkok?

#1 elbert, Mar 5, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2008
  2. imacron

imacron Member

Patpong... ha ha.

3. TrackShields

TrackShields Member

watch muai thai live. there's 2 major stadiums there that has good fights/title fights once a week. format is the same as boxing matches (undercards and main event). nothing beats watching matches live. tickets are cheap too.

4. wari_aktiv

wari_aktiv Active Member

Hi Elbert,

Haven't been to Bangkok, but while you're there, you might want to have a suit done. :)

From Men's Vogue: Bespoke in Bangkok. (Clicky goes to article)

Happy trails dude. Have fun. :)

5. dakeldani

dakeldani Member

1. Wat Arun (Temple of the Dawn)
    2. Wat Po (Reclining Buddha, and relaxing thai massage)
    3. Chatuchak Market on the weekend (shopping for the weekends, better wear comfortable clothes)
    4. Pratunam markets and Platinum Mall (again shopping for the Mrs.)
    5. Apple stores in both Paragon Malls and Siam Discovery center (for your apple fix of course.) :)
    6. Soi Patpong (for the exotic shows, you can also bring your mrs with you of course.)

6. Myles

Myles Member

Some places to go to:
    • Grand Palace (nice photo op)
    • Siam Paragon
    • Floating Market (outskirts of Bangkok - 1.5 to 2 hours away)
    • Khao San Road (go there if you want to experience backpacking culture)
    • Pan Tip Plaza (a building full of computer/electronics/gadgets. hi-tech stuff - reminiscent of
    old vira mall)
    • MBK (if you are into tiangge shopping)
    • Chatuchak (sometimes called JTJ by locals - weekend market, caution: super init!)
    Jim Thompson House (ex-military American turned Designer, fell in love with Thailand and opted to stay there)
    • NIght Market (another tiangge style place)
    • True Shop at Siam Paragon (gadgets, books, cafe, etc - all in one place)
    • Ferrari, Lamborghini and other luxury/sports car showrooms at Siam Paragon

Food:
    • Som Tam (Papaya Salad) with Moo Yang (Grilled Pork's Neck) and Kao Niao (Sticky Rice)
    • Try chili ice cream at Spice Factory (basement Siam Paragon)
    • Siam Village (eat al fresco - lots of sea food)

There are lots of hole-in-the-wall restos there, some offer really good food! Don't be afraid to try. If you guys are not so much into spicy food, you can request for mild spice (pet nitnoy) or not spicy (mai pet). Avoid riding the tuk-tuk's, they charge high. Get a cab instead or better yet, commute using the Skytrain or Subway. End your day with a nice foot or body massage.

7. runner10

runner10 Member

Eat spicy food
    Watch shows at Patpong
    Eat spicy food
    Shop at Chatuchak
    Eat spicy food
    Ride the Tuktuk
    Get a Thai massage
    Eat spicy food
    Ride an elephant
    Eat spicy food

#7 runner10, Mar 5, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2008
  8. Tantantiniiin

Tantantiniiin Active Member

Pattaya : Lady Boy Show
    Phatpong: drink beer-watch freak show
    Commute on two wheels (hug for your dear life on top an XRM) from the mall
    Commute on three wheels tuktuk (hold tight - the sometimes do a wheelie)
    IT Mall -laugh at their prices.
    Try their spiked puto (yes, sili inside a puto) in their cultural village type mall (Siam Mall). Watch the show na din dun.
    Foot massage after every day. Worth it.
    Thai Massage - up to you if you want legit or not.

9. penmanila

penmanila The Pinoy Penman
    Staff Member Supporter

take the tour to ayutthaya, which will put you on a barge cruise back to bangkok; great food on the barge and great views; shop at chatuchak, of course; and have a foot massage everyday!

10. Carlo

Carlo Active Member

Hey Elbert,
    Looking for a massage? Try visiting this one!
    [​IMG]
    It's not necessarily the best massage place in Bangkok but I'm sure it has the best name.

Have fun!

#10 Carlo, Mar 5, 2008
  11. rob420

rob420 Member

If you like to take pictures, for me the most memorable was the floating market.
    you will need to be there by 7am (preferably to get calm waters and avoid the crowds), note the trip is 1.5 hour car ride so you may have to adjust your sched accordingly.
    Try the foods being offered at the floating market as well.

And you don't have to book your tours from here, since it's more expensive and lots of tours to book once you're there.

12. elbert

elbert Active Member

While we're at it, any suggestion for where to stay? I'm interested in quaint and inexpensive, chic perhaps. Something along the lines of a boutique hotel with modest but fab amenities. I wonder if I'm asking for too much.

13. johannes

johannes PhilMUG Chairman
    Staff Member Chairman

- Have a suit made (they're cheap and fast!)
    - Take the tour to Ayutthaya
    - Ride the tuktuk (you're insured, right? ;) )
    - Visit the temple of the 4-Faced Goddess
    - Have your fill of authentic Thai food and Foot Massages
    - Don't forget to go to the bathroom before leaving the hotel or restaurant. Traffic can still be hellish in Bangkok (worse than Manila!).

Being a restaurateur:
    - Go to Cabbages and Condoms Restaurant (good food and "interesting" decorations. Ever seen an entire dress made of condoms?)

- And being the owner of a steak restaurant (a very fine one, if I may add), you may want to try The New York Steakhouse in JW Marriott Hotel Bangkok. I had a fantastic dinner there 2 years ago. I hope they have kept their standards. :)

#13 johannes, Mar 5, 2008
  14. kikoreta

kikoreta Active Member

- Enjoyed having dinner in the Blue Elephant. A bit pricey but worth it!
    - Visit the two roof top bars. Dome in the State Tower and Vertigo in the rooftop of the Banyan Tree. Definitely worth the visit!
    - Go clubbing in Bed. Great crowd and awesome architecture.
    - For lodging you can check out Lebua in State Tower. Haven't stayed but looks really nice!
    - Doing the the dinner cruise was so cheesy and touristy but i enjoyed it. Nice seeing the temples lit up at night.

15. zagu

zagu Well-Known Member

hotel beside mbk. Its not so ezpensive. Il be going around end of march. I just love the food... Street food at its best!

16. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

visit patpong and phuket :p

17. Sunil_K

Sunil_K PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

Hi Elbert, my folks usually stay at the Crowne Plaza whenever they go to Bkk. You can also check out the many hotels that dot Sukhumvit Road and Silom Road.

I always book via Asiatravel and Hotels.com their rates are very attractive.

Did a lil checking out for ya and I came across this particular boutique hotel called Dream Hotel Bangkok I did check out some reviews in Bangkok.com and Tripadvisor and it seems to be a well liked hotel. Check it out :)

Speaking of eats.. you have to have to have to check out the buffet at The Oriental. The best buffet spread ive ever had hands down.. ever!

18. errolberrol

errolberrol Member

Shopping
    - Chatuchak weekend market: the best deals in Bangkok, prepare yourself for shopping overload

Food Trip
    - Mango Tree: good thai food, they have a branch in the city and one at the airport departure area
    - MK: shabu-shabu

Clubbing
    - Route66: popular club among the locals, along RCA road where you can find a whole strip of clubs

19. john edward

john edward Member

Dont miss the grand palace. Also eat at the noodle place in front forgot the name but a lot of seniors and pretty touirist eat there. its a hole in the wall in a sense that run by an old couple.

MBK for value shopping without sacrifycing too much of the tourist value/ comforts.

There's also a place called bangkok, bankok (basta the resto's name is repeats itself and its near a mcdonalds) or something accross patpong if you plan to watch the "ping pong" shows. those shows are much too hyped i think and really somewhat depressing seeing...

if you have time cruise along the river in a regular or hotel ferry but dont take the special boat ride through the narrow canals. their not worth the time. its actually faster to go aroung bangkok via the ferry. their perfectly safe but make sure you dont overstay in a stop and miss the last ride. i almost did photgraphing wat arun coz their pretty at night.

i wanted to go to the floating market but the round trip will cost you roughly 2/3 of your day.

watch out for those pretty ladies. they have plenty of surprises.

gusto ko na tuloy bumalik! ...enjoy!

20. macbro

macbro Member

You could check out the ARNOMA hotel, not too pricey but great rooms and nice location (across/walking distance to the world trade center mall). Another choice is the hotel in MBK, though a bit more expensive i believe.

#20 macbro, Mar 8, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2008