Must Do and See in Kuala Lampur

Discussion in 'Travel' started by doughn, Dec 4, 2010.

1. doughn

doughn Active Member

Guys..

pls recommend places to go, eat, shop and stay.

also what busline to take from singapore to kuala lampur or singapore to genting highlands

our itenerary will be:

Travel date -- Feb. 2011

No. of Pax Travelling -- 7pax

6 adults (2 senior citizen)
    1 child

MNL- SINGAPORE (plane)

SING - KL (bus)

KL - Genting Hilands (bus)

KL- MNL - (plane)

thanks in advance

2. aaarrrnnn

aaarrrnnn Member

It's been a while since I've been to KL. But to answer your question about going to Genting from KL, there's a bus terminal at Titiwangsa that will take you straight to Genting Highlands.

3. SR_Eyes

SR_Eyes Member

Before taking the bus, don't forget to pass by the giant ferris wheel in Titiwangsa.

[​IMG]

4. kolim

kolim Member

For a big group, try Crowne Regency Suites. They have 2-br and 3-br suites. Very near the Twin Tower.

5. aaarrrnnn

aaarrrnnn Member

Just to add about the bus... Sometimes the bus won't take you directly to Genting because there's an event at the bus station in Genting. The bus will then stop at Awana Highlands. While this entails additional expense, it is the more breathtaking ride because you'll be taking the cable car from Awana going towards Genting.

Or you can do it in reverse. When you're going back to KL, instead of taking the bus at Genting, take the cable car going towards Awana. From there there's a bus terminal going to KL.

6. dyonabee

dyonabee Member

We took the Transtar Travel Coach http://www.transtar.com.sg/ (photos:http://regentstar.travel/firstclass/firstclass.htm) from KL to Singapore, and they have superb buses! Get the best one with only 16 seats. Each seat has different types of massagers, LCD TV, outlet for laptop, wifi, etc. Here are some photos that I took during our travel:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. josecarlo1129

josecarlo1129 Active Member

I heart KLIA Express trains. This will connect you from KL to the airport. Not to mention the superb seats, comfy ride and of course the wifi.

8. Kiko

Kiko Well-Known Member

3 years ago we went to for a 4 day singapore trip but still managed a quick tour to KL

We stayed in a Singapore trip walking distance to the golden mile bus station. Most bus companies are based here.(except the luxury ones) These "cheap" however better than most Philippine Tourist class or first class busses. If you want to travel in style go with aeroline, transtar etc. Bus fares vary extensively. You can get one 5x lower than the most expensive ones. I think the 1seat-aisle-2 seats is rule. unlike our buses where there are 6 abreast :)

Anyway, we got a more luxury double decker bus which left at midnight. I think we were just 3 or 4 people passengers that time and arrived in Puduraya bus station of KL around 4:30. Its like Avenida a little scary. Spent an hour in a 7-11 killing time and went back to station to get a bus going to Genting whose fare already included the cable car ride. Had early lunch there and went back to KL puduraya, took LRT for the customary pics of Petronas, took taxi to the KL tower then another taxi to the ferris wheel, returned to the bus station via taxi, had a quick merienda/dinner and took the bus back to singapore and arrived before midnight. - quick Amazing race type trip. Just wished we went to Batu caves instead of the ferris wheel instead. If you do want a ferris wheel ride, go for the bigger one in Singapore.

quick tips
    1. mas harang pa taxis in KL than in Manila :)
    2. Two major bus stations in KL Puduraya (more buses, old station) and Pasarakyat (newer but less trips) The MRT station at the back of Puduraya is the Plaza rakyat LRT which is different and very far from the Pasarakyat bus station. I know, they could have thought of a different less confusing name, but go figure.
    3. LRT/MRT/monorail stations of the same name in the map may have different terminals. like our cubao and doroteo MRT-LRT2 lines
    4. Luxury buses like aeroline usually use luxury hotels as terminals in both Singapore and KL
    5. You will have to get off the bus at the border stations get your passports stamped and reboard so take note of your bus numbers, buses will meet you at the exit. When we went back to Singapore using the non luxury buses, the bus company decided to "consolidate" the border to Singapore downtown trip so we had to get our stuff and board a different bus so better listen to the announcements and get all your stuff for those planning to do this.

#8 Kiko, Dec 5, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2010
  9. doughn

doughn Active Member

thanks for the inputs guys... keep it coming.... ill have to print this .

10. opd

opd Member

Was in KL a little over a month ago. The taxi driver recommended we skip going up the Petronas Tower because you have to line up really early for tickets alotted daily on a quota.

In his opinion, going up KL Tower was a much, much better deal, view- and time-wise.

11. Dekra

Dekra PhilMUG Addict Member

If you've been spoiled by the malls in SG, you'll be disappointed with the ones in KL. Check your hotel if they provide a private car (with driver) to take you around the sights. We did that and the rate was very fair.

12. Kiko

Kiko Well-Known Member

I agree with him. The observation area for the Petronas towers will only be up to the level of the bridge between the two towers (just a third of the way up) i think plus there is a limited number of persons admitted per day so you really have to line up. If you are after the feeling of height and looking down at the city, you should go to the KL tower. The KL tower is built on top of the hill so you get more height to start with, plus the observation deck is way up there. You can actually feel that you are looking down on the twin towers.
    [​IMG]

13. zero.

zero. Active Member

Very helpful thread for our travel to KL in July 2011.

14. just_caps

just_caps Member

Must do and see in KL? Here's what I and my sister did during our vacation in KL 2 sembreaks ago while our dad was in a convention:

- Went first to some bars after we checked-in at our hotel around the area of Jalan Sultan Ismail and Jalan P Ramlee.

- Went to Batu Caves, Royal Selangor Pewter Factory, Cocoa Boutique (where I bought 5 boxes of Durian Chocolate) and the Batik Outlet during the day. then at night our dad came back to our hotel from his convention and we took the monorail going to Bukit Bintang and went shopping at KL Pavilion. We were lucky to see the Queen of Malaysia attending a fashion show at KL Pavilion. Then after shopping took a cab going to Menara KL and had dinner at its revolving restaurant while enjoying the 360 degree view of KL and its surroundings. Then walked towards our hotel after the nice dinner we had at Menara KL.

- Woke up early to be the first in line to the tickets for Petronas Twin Towers Skybridge, then went back to our hotel to sleep for another hour. Then I and my sister walked from our hotel going to KLCC LRT station then took the LRT going to Stesen Sentral. Bought tickets to Resorts World Genting with the cable car and stayed at RW Genting until 4 pm. Took a cab going back to KL and went straight to Petronas. After the Skybridge experience we went shopping at Suria KLCC. At night I, our dad, and my sister rented a MB going to Putrajaya to enjoy its sights.

In KL, you can stay at 5 star hotels because the rates in KL are a lot cheaper than here in Manila. For example, we stayed at Shangri-La KL and our room is at the Horizon Club floors. Rate is P8,500 per night compared to EDSA and Makati Shang which I think is around P10,000 per night. KL is also known as having the cheapest hotel rates for a global megacity. The only expensive is the airfare (Malaysia Airlines). But you can also opt for cheap fares by traveling with CP or Air Asia

15. alanis_junkie

alanis_junkie Well-Known Member

try out skyventure in genting..very cheap indoor skydiving experience!

there's also a package that includes bus fare KL - Genting v.v., RT cable car ride, and buffet for less than Php 1k, terminal iirc is @ central? book early as slots are usually sold out fast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. triballistic

triballistic Member

Are PC parts cheaper in Malaysia? I'll be there in a few weeks so I'm thinking about buying a few hard drives. But I'm a bit worried about how their warranties work. Dunno if I wanna go back to Malaysia just to replace a dead HDD.

17. penmanila

penmanila The Pinoy Penman
    Staff Member

am here at KL international airport, and i must say that it's very good, with free wifi--not quite HK and changi, but at par with, say, the new bangkok airport.

i had to stay for one night here in KL on my way to perth, australia (in two hours) because there's no direct flight on malaysia airlines; stayed at le meridien, right next to the KL sentral train station; a very fine hotel, great views of the surroundings.

on my way back a week from now, will be staying overnight again, but only at the airport hotel because of the shorter layover. we should have a good airside hotel in manila as well!

18. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

mmm.......two 5-star hotels: the all-suite Maxim Tower and Marriot. They qualify as airport hotels because of their close proximity to the three terminals.

19. macbro

macbro Member

Any updates on new places to see in KL? Is Genting Highlands worth visiting?
    We'll be coming from SG and surely visit Resorts World and Sentosa, so is Genting worth the trip?
    Tia!

20. wakekeboy

wakekeboy Member

Genting is kind of worth the trip. Cool weather and there's an amusement park if im not mistaken