Musical Discoveries

Discussion in 'Media and content' started by rbenzon, Jan 4, 2017.

1. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

Not all of us are stuck in the past ;) although there is nothing with that, especially if you're still wearing the same Top-siders or Doc Martens. :) But in the interest of musical cross-pollination, am starting a thread about musical discoveries that you deem worth sharing. The artists do not have to be new; they can just be new to you.

General format:
    Name of artist/band you recently discovered
    Your description
    Discovery means: Via friend referral, radio, Spotify playlist, etc.
    (Optional) Listening link(s) to Spotify, YouTube, etc.

So let me get started. My worthwhile discovery today:
    GoGo Penguin
    Experimental jazz piano trio. Funky, groovy, ambient, ethereal, EDM vibe, except all acoustic instruments.

Discovered via Tidal Urban Jazz playlist (tidal.com/playlist/70efda1e-e36f-4ad2-b97e-3e1a2bcc2398)
    Artist link on Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/artist/19f2JXwlRU26376TCKmp6L
    My album suggestion: https://open.spotify.com/album/7hq5hwEkWFpjsRLYR9X3zS
    On Tidal: tidal.com/artist/4764457

Edit (added video, because it makes better sense; free and visual!):

#1 rbenzon, Jan 4, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
  2. makinao

makinao Active Member

I haven't listened to pop music seriously for a while. But this has become my LSS since December.

Hatsune Miku
    Vocaloid J-Pop
    A student thesis advisee turned me on to this.
    Its all over YouTube. The concerts are amazing, the stage band is hot, and the producers probably never sleep.
    Hatsune Miku Magical Mirai (2015) at Nippon Budokan (Eng sub)

rbenzon likes this.
  3. GilGrissom

GilGrissom Well-Known Member

Name of artist/band: Lianne La Havas
    Your description: She has that Esperanza Spalding with a little bit of Nora Jones vibe to her.
    Discovery means: I saw her open for Cold Play. I eventually saw her when she did her own concert. If you think she sounds good in her videos...she sounds even better live.
    (Optional) Listening link(s) to:

Sunil_K, raypin and rbenzon like this.
  4. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

Nice finds, guys. Keep 'em coming!

The J-Pop I will replay as my teenage son and I progress thru Nihongo classes together. :) Infectious!

Wow, Lianne La Havas. Like Tuck and Patti in one! ;)

OK, been crushing on this one for a couple of months now (because she looks like my college crush, now a MILF I still flirt with on FB, haha).

Bria Skonberg
    Trumpeter / singer, plays like Satchmo, swings and sings like a naughty angel :)

Forgot how I discovered her a couple of months ago. But here's a clip of her talking, singing, and tootin' it . :)

5. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm...thanks to @penmanila for the heads-up to getflix.com.au, making musical discovery much easier through tidal.com:

Name of Artist: Alison Kraus
    Description: Bluegrass/country singer. To my ears, her voice is one of the very best (melodious, soulful). She's been a prolific musical artist, with 14 albums under her belt and 27 Grammys. Favorite track: Jacob's Dream.
    Discovery means: Tidal.com

Name of Artist: Regina Spektor
    Description: Indie pop singer.

Name of Artist: Shawn Mendez
    Description: Pop. He's a singer/songwriter from Canada and plays guitar. Something contemporary for me. Pampabata sa tanders katulad ko. Lol!

Name of Artist: The great YoYo Ma
    Description: Cello master. Of all the string instruments, the cello is easily my favorite. In the hands of a master like YoYo Ma, the music is powerful, emotive and engaging.

#5 raypin, Jan 5, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
    GilGrissom and rbenzon like this.
  6. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

^Ah, yes. Alison Krauss, a staple among audiophiliacs. The only "problem" I have with Yo-yo Ma is the insecurity he gives me about my playback system not being good enough. ;) And because of him, I have also fancied buying an e-cello, and learning to play it. But for now, I tell my wife, "No-no, Ma". :)

I listened to an entire Regina Spektor album over lunch, from a distance. Worth further listening.

Not ready for Shawn Mendes yet. Hanggang Eva Mendes lang muna ako; but hey, beats Sergio Mendes. ;)

My other discoveries today:
    Snarky Puppy
    Funky jazz jam band
    Discovered via Tidal (Jazz & Coffee playlist), but music video below was referred by a friend (insane keyboard solo by Corey Henry!):

^Reasonably well-engineered too, for something with so many elements, a busy arrangement, not to mention a live audience setting!

And while I was skimming thru this year's Grammy Nominee list, I rediscovered this band:

The Tierney Sutton Band
    Jazz vocals
    Rediscovered via the Grammy Nominee list. Their latest album, Sting Variations, was nominated for Best Jazz Vocal Album.

Here's the first track from that album.

Too many great talents to discover; not enough time! :whistle:

GilGrissom and raypin like this.
  7. GilGrissom

Name of Artist: Freddy and Francine
    Description: Americana with little bit of Soul
    Discovery means: Saw them busking in a Farmers market in eagle rock and I was hooked. I have been following this duo for the past 7 years now.

rbenzon likes this.
  8. rebiscoco

rebiscoco Active Member

Name of Artist: The Staves
    Description: English Folk Rock
    Discovery means: Heard of them because of BON IVER(I think they are managed by Justin Vernon. Not sure. :) ). Been listening to them on Spotify and they have a couple of videos on Youtube.

rbenzon likes this.
  9. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

^Nice. Too bad my brother moved out of Eagle Rock, because there seems to be life across Glendale these days?! ;)

Freddy & Francine reminded me of this (now popular) couple:

Us Duo
    Discovered them on FB a few years ago, when one of their medleys of year's top hits went viral, like this:

Girl's Pinay too, but music is universal! Here's one of their original songs:

Saw them live in one of their quick impromptu/teaser gigs in BGC a couple of years ago. Cute. Good chemistry. Benta sa Pinoy. :)

cyberathlete likes this.
  10. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

The Staves reminded me of:

The Haden Triplets
    Trio of sisters who sing Americana
    Discovered them because of their father, the late great jazz bassist Charlie Haden.

Am not big on country but, man, their harmonies!

11. raypin

mm....OT: Just in from CES 2017 in Vegas.

For Tidal.com subscribers (on the Hifi Plan), today is a great day to celebrate. Tidal.com is the first streaming service to offer Master Quality Authenticated (MQA) albums. That means you can now stream music at a much higher resolution, upgraded from CD-quality or lossless audio to MQA (up to 24 bit, 96 Mhz.) at no extra charge.

Initially, only the desktop apsp on PC and Mac machines are supported. Other devices will be supported.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/markspa...echnology-with-immediate-effect/#3b6b542542dc

http://tidal.com/us/masters

Just tried it on my Windows machine, connected to my WA8 and Sony Z1R. It works......and it sounds really great! We are now closer to the studio master recording than ever before. :LOL:

#11 raypin, Jan 6, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2017
    jcsantamarina likes this.
  12. jcsantamarina

jcsantamarina Buzz Ambassador
    Staff Member

13. GilGrissom

Love love love Regina Spektor! Got to see her up close and personal late last year.

Name of Artist: Elizabeth Ziman (Elizabeth and the Catapult)
    Description: Indie. Singer/Songwriter.
    Discovery means: Can't remember!

Name: Margaret Glaspy
    Description: Indie. Singer/Songwriter
    Discovery means: Saw her NPR Tiny Desk session then I went out to see her when she toured.

Name: Emily King
    Description: Indie. Singer/Songwriter. (notice the pattern?)
    Discovery means: Saw her at Rockwood Music Hall. Then I saw her again at the Troubadour

#13 GilGrissom, Jan 6, 2017
    raypin and rbenzon like this.
  14. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

Got an email notification from Tidal today, saying the same.

I read about MQA months ago, partly because my favorite app, Roon, was developed by many former employees of Meridian, the proponents of MQA.

My understanding is that MQA does not improve the quality of the original recordings as captured on the "studio master". MQA only authenticates the quality of the bits; that they reach the DAC *bitperfect*; that they're as good as the FLACs stored locally, on your hard drive.

Trouble is, some DACs don't preserve all the bits; they throw away many samples received (cut corners to keep the DAC implementation simple and cheap)—but that's subject for another post. Nevertheless, I have Tidal Premium, so I will enjoy their Masters section.

Alas, many of the discoveries we share are indie artists from indie labels—not the big labels with the resources to pay for MQA licenses and market the new buzzword. Just the same, keep sharing! :)

15. raypin

Ot: mm...my cafeteria understanding: MQA is still in its infancy as a new audio format to stream better-than-CD quality or in hi-res (its most valuable advantage). To take full advantage of MQA, you need not just a streaming service that "broadcasts" MQA (like Tidal Masters) but an MQA-enabled Digital to Analog Converter (DAC). With it, the MQA-processed album or track is decoded to its full, hi-res format (24 bit, 384 mhz. in some cases). Using a DAC that is not MQA-certified will not fully unlock the hi-res format but since MQS is backward compatible, it will still play but it also upsamples to just better than CD format (16 bit, 44 mhz). As of now, only a handful of DACs are MQA-ready. SCHIIT Audio has already declared that it will not support MQA and the big boys like Chord Electronics are not yet on-board. Sennheiser is rumored to be releasing MQA devices but that is in the future.

One of these devices is the Onkyo DPX1 DAP which is MQA-ready and made specifically for Onkyo's music service which contains MQA albums. The problem with Onkyo's library is it is very expensive since its music service operates like the old business model: you need to pay for each individual track or album. No bufffet, stream all you like. It is purchase, not rent. Luckily, Tidal is supported by the DPX1, which I have. So, that is one thing that I can look forward to once Tidal Masters is enabled for portable devices (iOS and Android).

As for MQA albums, heavy-hitter Warner Music Group is on-board the MQA train. Hopefully, MQA will become the standard for hi-res streaming as more labels and DAC manufacturers adopt this new standard.

In my initial listening session last night, my ears can detect some improvements over the standard, CD-quality streamed by Tidal hifi using my non-MQA DACs. The MQS track from Tidal Masters sounds more dynamic or alive.

Per my view, by way of analogy, MP3 is cable tv. CD quality is 720p (like Tidal hifi). MQS is 1080p (like Tidal Masters). DSD is 4k tv. One day, we will all be streaming DSDs.

#15 raypin, Jan 6, 2017
  16. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

^More OT, but shorter :): In other words, MQA is just another Betamax/VHS, a standard that consumer manufacturers license so they can have what consumers who bought into the buzzword are looking for. My point is: I'd take a proper DAC implementation of redbook audio (95+% of the music out there) vs consumer DAC implementation of MQA, or for that matter DSD (which Rob Watts, the brilliant designer of Chord DACs, disparaged as an inherently flawed format).

I have no gripes about formats per se. HDTV is objectively superior to SDTV. But between two files of the same song (DSD and FLAC), DSD was not better to my ears. Maybe my CEntrance DSD DAC was lacking. But I won't bend over backwards for a supposedly superior format for only <1% of the world's library.

Back on-topic, most (if not all) of the musical discoveries shared here will be available in redbook format. And I'm perfectly fine with that. :) But hey, I have Tidal Masters too, so best of both worlds. But no, I won't bite into MQA DACs, unless they can do redbook audio well enough. :)

raypin likes this.
  17. Dipp

Dipp Active Member

This is nice!!!! Guys, please someone create a playlist in Apple Music or Spotify and include all the artists posted here :D

18. raypin

Mm..

Name of Artist: Jean Michel Jarre
    Description: French composer and electronica artist. His Oxygene Trilogy album is mesmerizing.

Name of Artist: Ron Pope
    Description: Singer/Songwriter. He sings from the heart.

#18 raypin, Jan 6, 2017
    rbenzon likes this.
  19. GilGrissom

Name: Lindsay Lou & the Flatbellys
    Description: Americana
    Discovery: Was in Seattle for a vacation at the same time the Folk Life festival was going on.

rbenzon likes this.
  20. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

Haha. PhilMUG mix tape.

May mix tape nga, pero wala namang chix. Olats.
    ;)

Actually, I've been marking the suggestions here in my Roon/Tidal app, under "Further Listening" playlist.

10 years ago, this thread would've been overflowing with suggestions—that was when PhilMUG was filled with Mac-lovin' creatives. Now, we have mostly mobile gadget-lovin' consumers—nothing wrong with that, if only there were more women! :)

cyberathlete, Dipp, kyubi and 2 others like this.