MTRC wants to impose their rating system on streaming services like Netflix, Prime Video, etc.

Discussion in 'Media and content' started by Adarna, Oct 8, 2019.

1. Adarna

Adarna Well-Known Member

https://businessmirror.com.ph/2019/...ing-movies-on-netflix-amazon-other-platforms/

https://www.rappler.com/technology/news/241964-mtrcb-streaming-platforms-rating-system-philippines

https://www.unbox.ph/play/mtrcb-wants-streaming-platforms-to-adopt-rating-system/

https://saksingayon.com/nasyunal/mtrcb-pinakilos-vs-ibat-ibang-video-streaming-platforms/

Please, no.

I'm a legal adult and I dont want my violence, sexuality and counter-local entertainment butchered by the censors.

Or else I may be forced to sign up for a VPN to by-pass your prudishness.

Netflix & other streaming services already have built-in rating system based on their home country's standards.

Eerie, the movie Gatchalian cited, already has a rating of 16+ on Netflix. This is equivalent to MTRCB's R-16 rating.

Netflix has a profile for Kids. It is up to the parents to enable it. Please do not enable it by default for everyone.

2. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

It actually makes sense... Some shows may not be appropriate to other countries and its the regulatory board's responsibility to check the content provided by streaming companies...

Same thing was announced by Netflix when they launched in Singapore... some content may not be available due to state censorship.

ronjet and leninmac like this.
  3. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm...for free TV, yes. But for subscription service, no. Why? Have you seen that atrocious MTRCB warning ad that precedes film showing? Annoys the hell out of me. Sheesh!

I m on VPN.......way out of reach of government censors.

Besides, I can already deny access to inappropriate content over my home network. At home, I am god. I ban any android channel with my internet filter, imported from Cupertino.

:LOL:

2E9691D8-A754-4CF6-B9C7-9C26912E109A.jpeg

Besides, there are ways to control and easy to monitor what your kids are watching on Netflix (watch history). And if strict monitoring is required, apps are available to do that are easily available for proactive parents.

#3 raypin, Oct 8, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
    Juice, Sunil_K, Godfather and 2 others like this.
  4. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

I am a sucker for gore, violence, sex, nudity, sex, hysteria, sex, and the like, sex, and I feel I am entitled to it over having to endure vast censorship during martial law, then the conservative views of religious zealots and idiotic politicians, and then now a moronic MTRCB which actually does not watch shows and movies and relies more on the views of other people instead.

Juice, Sunil_K, Godfather and 2 others like this.
  5. ronjet

ronjet PhilMUG Addict Member

Amen.

Strict monitoring can be done by their parents if they really want to.

Godfather and hitme64 like this.
  6. Godfather

Godfather PhilMUG Addict Member

Imagine if Game of Thrones had all the nudity censored out. Or The Sopranos minus all the whacking, or Breaking Bad minus all the meth and violence.

What's next? Censor the internet in the Philippines too?

There's a reason why I never voted for that guy. And moreso now, I never will. What an idiot.

gaol, hitme64, raypin and 1 other person like this.
  7. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm...coming soon sa netflix et al:

:mad::mad::mad::mad:

Annoying annoying annoying. Imagine if you are netflix surfing.....

Godfather, ronjet and hitme64 like this.
  8. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

Censorship is unconstitutional. “Congress shall make no law abridging the freedom of speech.” By speech, it also means of expression, of viewership, of choice of programs, of any platform thereof. Any platform would mean any streaming media. So that damn ass advocating for such censorship in the guise of classification is not only stupid and moronic but has his bowels upside down to even advocate for such. This isn’t Iran or Saudi Arabia or North Korea. True liberalism lies in the fact that we the people can decide for ourselves what we want and what is right. Throw out democracy for fucksakes because there is no true democracy anywhere.

raypin, Godfather and ronjet like this.
  9. Adarna

Adarna Well-Known Member

Eerie, the movie gatchalian cited as an example has an MTRCB rating of R13 (suitable for 13 year old and above).

Netflix’s rating has it at 16+ which is 16 year olds and above.

It is the responsibility of the parents to screen out what is inappropriate for their household.

Some households see nothing wrong with sexuality while others are still stuck in the Spanish Inquisition.

Godfather and ronjet like this.
  10. oj88

oj88 PhilMUG Addict Member

After Netflix, APV, et al, which are paid subscriptions with curated content, will they also censor Youtube and the like (which is even more freely accessible than paid streaming services)?

I understand that this agency is just doing its mandate and I respect that. But I think this needs more careful thought.

I'd say, keep the original ratings but educate the parents on what they mean or at the least, raise awareness that those ratings should be used as a guide for minor viewers.

OT: A lot of movies/shows use gore, sex, and other extreme measures to try to make up for a lack of a good screenplay or plot. There are numerous situations where I think a specific scene was totally unnecessary and that it actually caused more of a distraction than tying up the movie into a cohesive story.

ronjet, raypin and Godfather like this.
  11. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

It's actually not that big of a deal...

Although there are times when censorship can be strange.
    If I remember correctly...

Zoolander was not allowed in Malaysia and Singapore...
    South Park is totally banned in China, I believe even searching for it will not yield results.
    Voltes 5 was once banned...
    And Entourage was once delayed (Sky Cable)...

Then there was a time when all coverage of EDSA "3" was not allowed in all local TV

I just wonder how will streaming services react to this.

JohannChua and raypin like this.
  12. jflorendo

jflorendo Member

My daughter finished watching seasons 1 and 2 of The Dragon Prince. She wanted to watch it again in anticipation of season 3 but she could not find the series. It was previously rated 7+ but now it changed to 13+. I thought this was MTRCB already.