Mpeg-to-DVD burning? Need some assistance.

Discussion in 'OS X and OS X Apps' started by activeingredient, Apr 29, 2004.

1. activeingredient

Am planning on burning a couple of Mpegs to a DVD. Problem is I saw a little how-to on making an interface as well. Guess i wasnt paying much attention to it before, and now I can't seem to find it. Can anyone point me to the right direction? :D

Also will a conventional DVD player read them as a DVD Movie or an Mpeg compilation?

Thanks in advance.

2. Henjie

Henjie Active Member

If interface = DVD menus, then there's the easy way and there's the hard way. :)

Easy way is to let Toast Titanium's built-in DVD menu creator do the job. Do note that it'll only create a pretty simple menu. No options to add your own graphics nor change the background color/image. You can specify which frame of each video track to use as the "button picture" though, but that's about it. Each video file = one chapter.

Here's what you do need to do:
    • Select "DVD-Video" under Toast's "Video" tab.
    • Under "Options", make sure that "Create DVD Menu" is checked.
    • Drag and drop the video/MPEG files to the Toast window.
    • You'll notice that each chapter's "button picture" is set to the first frame of the video. The chapter info (file name, creation date and duration) are also indicated.
    • To change the "button picture" and the chapter info (which will appear in the DVD menu), click on "Edit" beside each chapter.
    • You can modify the chapter info under the "Text" tab.
    • Under the "Video" tab, drag through the video timeline to look for the frame you want for the "button picture". Click on "Set Button Picture" when you're satisfied.
    • Click on "Done".
    • Before burning the DVD, change the disc name to something other than the really lame default (My DVD). Change it by clicking on "My DVD" beside "DVD-Video" and typing in your own. It's a good idea to use all caps for the disc name and to use _ instead of spaces.
    • Burn the disc. If the video files are of the MPEG-1 format, Toast will encode them to MPEG-2 first. It may take a while depending on the speed of your Mac and the sizes of the files.

Do note that Toast doesn't have the best encoder out there. Apps like Cleaner or ffmpegX will do a much better job of encoding your MPEG files to a DVD-compatible format. However, for a project such as yours, I reckon Toast will do a good enough job since you can only squeeze so much quality out of a low-bitrate MPEG file. No way you can encode those MPEG files to equal the quality of a true 720x480 MPEG-2/DVD file ("true" meaning 720x480 for the original source). :)

The hard way is to use DVD Studio Pro. Not really a welcome idea for a simple DVD made from just a couple or so MPEG files. You can also use iDVD although even that is still harder than just using Toast. ;-)

Set-top DVD players will recognize the disc as a DVD Movie disc if you use Toast's DVD-Movie option. :)

Good luck!

~Henjie

[Edited on 4-29-2004 by Henjie]

3. mykmarinas

mykmarinas Member

Ive used Toast 6 a couple of times now for some quick Dvd burning and all of the Dvd's turned out very well. :D

Btw, im using Mpeg2 when burning a Dvd video, it has a 720x480 resolution. :2cents:

[Edited on 4-29-2004 by mykmarinas]

4. activeingredient

Thanks for the quick replies! Will try it out asap.

5. activeingredient

Alright! Am playing it now on the DVD player, and its real cool! Thanks again! My kids will love this.

6. da_big_switch

da_big_switch Member

A related question:

What is the easiest way to import .mpg files into iDVD? I have .dat files of birthday parties that I converted to .mppg using VCDGearX. I want to include them in an iDVD project.

Thank you.