Moving up to big school: Choices and considerations

Discussion in 'General OT' started by Dekra, Jul 26, 2011.

1. Dekra

Dekra PhilMUG Addict Member

My son will be eligible for big school next year and we're thinking of sending him to one of the big schools mentioned in the thread title.

Please give me your thoughts on these schools.

Some initial feedback that we got:

La Salle - as incoming Kinder 2, they say a more relaxed environment for the child?
    Ateneo - as Prep, academics too stressful for the child?
    Xavier - same as Ateneo?

2. Kiko

Kiko Well-Known Member

For a kinder 2, i don't think there isn't much difference.

Maybe you should consider how long is the travel time to and from your house, and where you plan to send him once he becomes eligible for Grade 1.

Are you the same Dekra in the SantaFeClub sir?

3. Dekra

Thanks for the reply sir, I considered those schools because they are more or less the same distance from our house.

I want to stick to the same school even up to HS, I guess

Yes, I'm the same dude :)

4. macdrive007

macdrive007 Active Member

I would have recommended DLSZ, but it seems you were referring to Greenhills. Still, DLSZ if it's ever an option.

5. crazy_boy

crazy_boy Member

i would say Xavier. learning Mandarin nowadays is already considered a plus.

6. blessie15

blessie15 Active Member

Yes, go with xavier. Mandarin is really quite handy these days, it gives children a really good advantage that they learn another language besides english.

7. darkgreen

darkgreen Active Member

As a graduate from la salle green hills. I would be bias and recommend you to send your son to LSGH straight from preschool to highschool. :)

8. dfused

dfused Member

Ateneo - yes I agree the academics are too stressful. I have 2 boys both in middle school in Ateneo, they don't have much time for play & recreation bec by the time they're home it's late na and we are near lang (scout area). I'm planning to transfer them once they finished grade school. I'm looking into HOME-SCHOOLS.

Good luck! But I don't regret them studying in Ateneo, it's a good beginning.

9. bleh888

bleh888 Active Member

If you want them to be really, really good in math....Xavier! Haha

10. potpot2

potpot2 PhilMUG Addict Member

Xavier, up to high school.

11. Cara_mia

Cara_mia Member

La Salle Greenhills also offers Mandarin classes. It is only optional and the extra classes are held after the regular class hours.

My son studies at La Salle. His schedule is more relaxed (compared to his cousins at Ateneo). He still has time to play after his homework. I think their curriculum is more balanced giving them more time to enjoy being kids.

My cousin used to study at Xavier and he got home very late because he had to attend Mandarin tutorials after class. Only then did he have time to study for his other subjects. Kawawa.

12. ricocamus

ricocamus Member

Yes Xavier and Ateneo can be stressful. What I would do is check on class size. When my son was in Xavier the class size was about 30 to 35, which is pretty good if your child needs a little extra help. Plus factor for Xavier is the High School is now all Mac and each boy has to use a laptop starting first year ( I hear they have easy pay plans).

Also consider distance to school. One major source of stress on the kids is travel time - if it is going to take up 2 to 3 hours of their day getting to and from school everyday, that's time that could be better spent doing something else.

13. jeroen

jeroen Active Member

my kids although still young are now in Xavier, most probably they will stay there.

14. Nicky

Nicky Member

My brother went to GS in one of those schools, and then transferred to Ateneo for HS. My parents remarked that the other kids' parents at Ateneo were a lot friendlier than the ones from the old school.

15. Dekra

Many thanks for your replies! Really appreciate them all! :) Keep them coming!

The application period has already started for these schools so that's why we are having this predicament so to speak.

My son is currently in Intermediate class at Greenmeadows Learning Center and we have decided to send him to big school next year.

16. Fireworks

Fireworks Member

I suggest Xavier. Not only do they get Mandarin classes as part of the curriculum, they have a balanced life in terms of social, academic and recreational activities. Other than that, your child can build up on contacts in Xavier for the future.

(source: friends from xavier)

17. docjbr

docjbr PhilMUG Addict Member

Ateneo all the way!

18. shotgun

shotgun Member

I'm from Xavier, and a few of my nephews are there right now. I'd say that it's a bit strenuous if you're an outsider looking in. School workload is known to be high, but they still try to balance it with extra or co-curricular activities. As others mentioned, Mandarin is a big plus (they're more into conversational now, rather than memorization).

One caveat in entering into Xavier is that they have a mandatory trip to China for your child. Although the trip will be in early HS, they'll be preparing your son for that trip. It'll teach your son to really converse in Mandarin, interact with another culture ("real" Chinese), humility (they'll dorm and clean/cook/etc.). I've heard that it's worked wonders for kids who were sheltered and a bit spoiled.

I also agree that location is very important. Work with the school closest to you. I lived in Paranaque while in Xavier and I lost up to 3 hours a day caught it traffic.

19. gogetit

gogetit Active Member

Travel time should also be considered, aside from the academic/co-curricular offerings of the school you choose. Good luck!

20. ransom

ransom PhilMUG Addict Member

Atenista here, but as much as it pains me to admit this, Xavier seems to be producing better graduates nowadays at least as far as communication skills are concerned. I teach freshman college English, and over the past several years the Xavier grads have consistently outperformed the Atenean grads with regard to grammar, composition, and clarity of expressed ideas.

A couple of my Ateneo classmates have chosen Xavier over Ateneo for their sons' grade school after assessing the students' performance in the annual Philippine Science High School entrance exam. It would appear that more Xavier grade school products pass that exam than students from any other school.