movies on iphone

Discussion in 'iPad, iPhone, iPod touch and Apple Watch' started by rage30, Dec 27, 2009.

1. rage30

rage30 Member

How do we watch movies or tv series that we have downloaded on our mac in our iphone?

2. deepblue

deepblue Active Member

you wouldn't be asking this if your videos came from the iTunes store, but i digress... :)

back on topic. assuming your videos aren't already in iPod-friendly format,* i would:

(1) convert the videos using handbrake (google and download it)
    (2) add to iTunes library
    (3) sync 'to' your iPhone

good luck.

(*from: http://www.apple.com/quicktime/tutorials/creatingvideo.html --iPod can play the following video formats:
    • H.264 video, up to 1.5 Mbps, 640 x 480, 30 frames per sec., Low-Complexity version of the H.264 Baseline Profile audio up to 160 kbps, 48 Khz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats
    • H.264 video, up to 768 kbps, 320 x 240, 30 frames per sec., Baseline Profile up to Level 1.3 with AAC-LC audio up to 160 kbps, 48 Khz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats
    • MPEG-4 video, up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 x 480, 30 frames per sec., Simple Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 kbps, 48 Khz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats)

3. justinferreros

convert it to mp4 then sync.:cool:

4. ronymd

ronymd Member

use VisualHub, very user friendly!

5. koppee1

koppee1 Active Member

actually, it took me a long time to figure out how to get a movie file to play on the iphone....after you import it to itunes...you can right click on the file and choose create an ipod/iphone version

6. rage30

rage30 Member

cant i just drag it to the movies section of itunes?

7. ferrarista44

ferrarista44 Member

some formats can be imported into itunes but wont sync into the iphone. needs to be iphone-recognized format, which is why you may still have to convert to "ipod/iphone version." :)

8. mysterio

mysterio PhilMUG Addict Member

An mp4 file is not necessarily playable on the iPhone. It needs to be in a specifc format, that's why you need am iphone video converter.

9. marco m

marco m Member

can you recommend a good iphone video converter.

thanks!

10. Roman

Roman Let's hug it out!
    Staff Member

I've been using HandBrake and it works like a charm.

11. aimeee

aimeee Member

Isquint is a good converting app too. Simple, fast and clean ;)

12. marche

marche Member

+1 on handbrake

13. ArkiJan

ArkiJan Well-Known Member

iSkysoft iPhone Video Converter...

14. march3

march3 Member

i use xilisoft video converter ultimate. so fast and so easy to use. you can put subtitle file and add some effects on the movie you wanted to watch. try it.

15. mysterio

mysterio PhilMUG Addict Member

Total Video Converter also allows you to insert subtitles into the final video. If the subtitles are in a mkv container, you can extract them using MKVtools.

16. Silverhalide

Silverhalide Member

I use Vuze (formerly Azureus).
    Just drag the file to the iTunes submenu. It will then add the converted file to your iTunes library - then sync.

17. PatrickGaerlan

PatrickGaerlan Super Moderator
    Staff Member

If Handbrake doesn't work for you, I recommend RipIt. It's very simple to use and works great. It's not free, but well worth the $20, IMHO.

18. lomster

lomster Member

I use Handbrake or Nero Recode but i stopped converting my files since its taking up a lot of space and it seemed senseless to have avi and mp4 files at the same time.

Since I have a file server at home that runs 24/7. I've downloaded an app called Air Video (itunes link). It streams and converts your video real time, it buffers for a few seconds when watching avi files but it works perfectly.

So if you don't mind turning your computer on while watching a movie, this app is perfect. it saves up space on your itouch/iphone too.

19. Shinrai

Shinrai Guest

AirVideo also let's you convert movies and load them directly to iTunes. It's much simpler to use than Handbrake IMO.

20. jaytrixz

jaytrixz Active Member

This is if the video file has been imported already in iTunes and it can't be imported to the phone right?

Make it +2. ;) The best free video converter I've used both for Mac and PC. Quality is excellent with movie chapters enabled on the iPhone/iPod Touch.