Motion 5 vs Adobe After Effects?

Discussion in 'Videographers' started by iAppleseed, Aug 10, 2011.

?

Which is better, Motion 5 or After Effects?

Poll closed Aug 9, 2012.
  1. Motion 5

25.0%
  2. After Effects

75.0%
  1. iAppleseed

iAppleseed New Member

Which is better? :D

2. dvsadvocate

dvsadvocate Active Member

It will all depend on your workflow and knowledge of the software. But for me AE is the standard for Motion Graphics.

3. d.know

d.know Member

AE for me.

I always thought that people would always use AE+Premiere as to Motion+FCP, but in my experience so far, aside from offices that use Windows, people on a Mac mix them up, doing motion graphics on AE and then editing on FCP.

4. Salaryman Ryan

Salaryman Ryan PhilMUG Addict Member

I find Motion 5 has a nicer interface and I can imagine that it is easier to use for newbies dipping their hand in motion graphics. AE is the standard though.

#4 Salaryman Ryan, Aug 13, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2011
  5. dryxzzz

dryxzzz Active Member

I prefer Motion 5 over AE...and Premier over FCP.

6. eriksontan

eriksontan Member

For me, After Effects is better. Motion has a better interface, maybe for new users, they could adapt easily in Motion, but I think users of After Effects will still find it difficult to transition themselves in Motion.

In any case, learning both applications will be an advantage for you. I think both have its own advantage and disadvantage.

Good luck to you! :D

7. AthanWylde

AthanWylde Active Member

I heard Motion 5 cant import psd layers... So, yeah, AE all the way.

8. RandyQ

RandyQ Member

I have not tried Motion 5, but I've used Motion 4 for everything we do, and for a very long time. If Motion 5 is anything like Motion 4 (I think its almost exactly the same), then the answer depends on how you define "better":

1. AE IS BETTER because it can do more. More plugins, more functions, better rendering, batch rendering, etc...This is the industry standard, and the learning curve is steep.

2. MOTION is better because you can do more in less time, so you make good money. But you keep running into limitations that really piss you off (no batch rendering, for example). AND it behaves illogically sometimes, because its 3d isn't really 3d (many years ago we called this 2.5D).

For what we do, we selected Motion - it is very fast, and quality is excellent, as long as you are aware that you are not using AE. We think AE is too slow and overgunned, at least for what we do.

Actually I dont think this is a good poll - its like asking what is better, a Civic or a CRV.

9. imabs

imabs Active Member

it's a matter of getting used to it. but if intensive motion graphics, compositing combo with Maya 3D, hey, AfterEffects does the job.

10. agree

agree Member

Another thing to consider is PRICE, assuming that you are to obtain a legal copy.

AE CS 5.5 is $765

while

Motion 5 is $49.99

11. imabs

imabs Active Member

well, regardless of price, AE is the most usable app for motion graphics.

12. jandrew

jandrew Member

I go for AE! ;)

13. motoflux

motoflux Lemon Pepper Fan

Though i voted for M5, I start to use AE, and felt, AE was good after all.

Your limit is your imagination.

14. jquinto

jquinto Member

Motion is quicker for those things that need some quick cleaning up or eye-candy. Once you go past that - there's only AE to run to... (aside from the other "bad boys" of compositing). AE's timeline-based workflow is still the most popular and practical for motion graphics. For more brutal 3D and heavier compositing, something node-based will be better.

15. Zoey

Zoey Active Member

After Effects is almost a thousand US dollars and a bit too expensive for my needs. For only 50 USD Motion 5 is an incredible deal. Unless you pirate AA, value wise I believe Motion 5 is way ahead.

16. neldeles

neldeles Active Member

Slight OT regarding After Effects: If I only have 2 cores (MBP 13 inch core 2 duo), will I benefit from multiprocessing? Some have said it's bad to max out your cores, while I've read other opinions that as long as your ram can take it it's all good. I currently have 8gb of ram installed, 1.5gb allocated per core. Any inputs?

17. poleng

poleng Member

For applications running on the background you only need at least 1gb of ram. On my late 2008 mbp i have 4gb of ram. I allocated 2.5gb for After Effects and 1.5gb for any other applications running on the background.

18. Salaryman Ryan

Salaryman Ryan PhilMUG Addict Member

Thats interesting. Case to give us a link where it says that its bad to max out the cores of your CPU?

19. neldeles

neldeles Active Member

@poleng That actually gives you inadequate amount of ram from what I've understood. Since the foreground process alone takes up # of ram allocated per core * 2.2. In your case that's 1 x 1.2= 1.2; 2.5-1.2=1.3gb left of ram for BOTH cores. Divide that by 2 means you only have 650mb of ram available for each core.

@Salaryman Ryan Here it is: http://blogs.adobe.com/toddkopriva/2010/03/performance-tip-dont-oversched.html
    Info is from Adobe itself. :)

20. iAppleseed

iAppleseed New Member

Motion is good for beginners. It has a nice UI that is very easy to understand. It is much easier to use than AE.

After Effects is for prosumers. It is 5x harder to use than Motion (because it has more features). In some ways, After Effects is easier than Motion (ex. Picking when an object starts and ends moving).

Lastly (which is not on the list) is Cinema 4D. A video editing for Real professionals which is so hard to use (probably because I don't know how to use it yet).