MobileMe Help

Discussion in 'OS X and OS X Apps' started by h.chua, Jan 25, 2009.

1. h.chua

h.chua Active Member

i have two gmail accounts, and one mobileme account. i also have an imac and a macbook. i set up mail.app with these three accounts, and migrated everything to the macbook, which means that the mail i have in my imac is now the same w/ the one i have in my macbook.

now, i was wondering if i could use "the cloud" or anything to help me sync both of these mail.apps. for example, if i receive mail on my macbook's mail.app and read it, it would reflect on my imac's mail.app as well. likewise, if i delete some stuff on my imac's mail.app, it would also reflect on the macbook's mail.app.

please help, as i couldn't get how it works. thanks

2. ricpac

ricpac Active Member

Real-time sync (or almost) only for your MobileMe account. I don't think it'll include the GMail on there.

3. bacchus_3

bacchus_3 PhilMUG Addict Member

@h.chua, set up gmail as an IMAP email account instead of POP3. Instructions can be found here. They'd be synced like the way you want it :)

4. h.chua

h.chua Active Member

i see. thanks for the fast replies! i checked the link, and i have to create a new account to set it up as imap. looks like i have to move all my messages on my gmail accounts before deleting that account, baka maerase lahat.

5. h.chua

h.chua Active Member

oh no. i just realized that i posted on the wrong thread. sorry mods.

6. bacchus_3

bacchus_3 PhilMUG Addict Member

wait, what do you mean you need to create a new account and move your messages to a new gmail account? just activate IMAP in your current gmail thru the web portal and when you are in Leopard's Mail, delete that account and re-create the same gmail account but use imap settings instead. Did I understand what you meant h.chua?

7. h.chua

h.chua Active Member

oh. what i was afraid of is that if i delete my pop account, the messages in that account would be deleted.

8. h.chua

h.chua Active Member

i'm confused. i created an imap version of my gmail accounts, then deleted my pop accounts. i don't understand why i have these folders? (the two sections right below RSS) sorry guys for being such a noob at this.

[​IMG]

9. PatrickGaerlan

PatrickGaerlan Super Moderator
    Staff Member

You'll need to create a new account in Mail.app, not a new Gmail account.

Read the following Gmail articles for instructions on setting up an IMAP Gmail account with OS X Mail.app:

Apple Mail 3.0 (Leopard)
    Recommended IMAP client settings

Additionally, I suggest turning on the 'Advanced IMAP Controls' in Google Labs (while signed into Gmail, go to the Settings -> Labs tab). After enabling the advanced IMAP controls, go to the 'Labels' tab and uncheck 'Show in IMAP' for the All Mail label. Next, go to the 'Forwarding and POP/IMAP' tab, under the IMAP Access section, set 'When a message is expunged from the last visible IMAP folder:' to 'Move the message to the Trash'.

Once you've created a new IMAP account in Gmail, you can start transferring the messages you want kept in the "cloud" from your POP mailboxes to your new IMAP mailboxes. Also, uncheck the 'Include when automatically checking for new mail' setting for your POP accounts.

10. michelledsbona

michelledsbona Active Member

wow this is very helpful. wil try this once i get home, didn't bring my MB with me to the office. thanks!

11. surgfish

surgfish Active Member

Guys, need help with my mobileme sync.
    I have 2 iphones and 1 ipod touch. Syncing thru mobile me used to be working smoothly
    This morning, when I synced my iphone 3G, i noticed the "name" of my iphone 3G was reset to "iphone". Everything synced well, in itunes, I typed back the real name of my iphone and synced again. No problem so far, then I noticed that iCal is not syncing properly. Some of the events were not synced to my iphone. Then thru the info tab of my itunes, it says that I can setup mobile me in this device to sync over the air. But my iphone is already configured with mobile me. What should I do? syncing of mails looks ok, but iCal and contacts are not being synced. I made sure its turned on in my iphone.

12. surgfish

surgfish Active Member

Found the answer to my problem.
    In case anyone encounters the same problem.
    What I did was on my iphone, went to settings, Mail Contacts Calendars, then went to my mobileme account. I turned off the calendar and contact switch (with wifi signal of course). It will prompt you a message, then turn it back on.
    If you do this, some data will be gone if it wasnt backed up in your computer.

Restoring your iphone wont help. (I did it already)

13. john edward

john edward Member

dear mobileme users,

im hoping to sync my gmail accounts, yahoo mail accounts and my own domain email accounts with mobileme so that theyre all in sync. so when i read on my iphone it will be marked as "read" in my mac and vice versa. is this possible?