Missing Trackpad option

Discussion in 'MacBook Air, MacBook & MacBook Pro' started by pael, Apr 2, 2010.

1. pael

pael Well-Known Member

Hi Everyone,

i just recently discovered that my Macbook running on 10.5.8 is having problems. For one, the option for Trackpad settings is missing under System Pref> Keyboard & Mouse. When i turn on bluetooth and the wireless mighty mouse, i can see the mouse settings.

Another issue is the shortcuts does not seem to work anymore -- like the print screen shortcut (command+shift+3 of command+shift+4). Tried repair permissions but still did not resolve the problem. Any other ideas on troubleshooting? :(

Should i reinstall the OS already?

-Pael

2. ijingo

ijingo Active Member

3. PatrickGaerlan

PatrickGaerlan Super Moderator
    Staff Member

@pael, try re-installing 10.5.8 first from the Combo Update, not Software Update. See if that solves your problems. If not, re-install then use Migration Assistant to transfer your data and settings from a backup.

4. pael

pael Well-Known Member

@ijingo tried twice but it's weird, it didn't restart after pressing/holding upon boot up, which probably means that it did not work. still have the problem

@patrick when you say use Migration Assistant, that is to backup the Macbook using Time Machine and restore upon reinstallation? Or is there a way to install Leopard by just overwriting the system files while leaving the Users folder as is?

5. Mad Mac

Mad Mac Active Member

Looks like an OSX problem. Unless you are a programmer, your best option is to backup and reinstall.

6. pael

pael Well-Known Member

i just reinstalled and while the welcome video was showing, there were was a sound as if a key is stuck. when the os started up, the trackpad option is now there,but the screenshot is still not functioning. it also seems that the right arrow key is not working. now, when the mac starts, it is stuck on the apple logo -- then after a long time restarts by itself. my superdrive is busted and only have a usb drive. tried booting from the drive while holding option,but the boot selection did not show up. i'm in big trouble :mad:

7. Mad Mac

Mad Mac Active Member

I believe you have a keyboard problem. It seems all malfunctions are keyboard related. Even the option key is a possible keyboard issue. Time for someone to look at your hardware. Since many keys are affected, I suspect there is disruption along the main ribbon and possibly the connector. Only a qualified technician can make a final assessment. Since they are closed, you can try mark_17 who is hopefully just resting at home.

8. pael

pael Well-Known Member

is there another substitute for the option key just to boot from a usb dvd drive? or is there an alternative way to boot? my macbook does not have warranty anymore...

9. Mad Mac

Mad Mac Active Member

It seems now that the OS is not the problem. You can see that your keyboard is manifesting problems prior to the driver's loading.

Nothing on a disc can fix it. If you still want to use the external disc for whatever, you can download and install rEFIt. It is an EFI hack. When you boot, a GUI will show your boot options including your external drive. The paradox here is you should be able to boot in OS X on your Mac to download and install this.

10. pael

pael Well-Known Member

thanks mad mac. what i'm seeing is an apple logo without a spinning wheel on the bottom -- which, correct me if i'm wrong -- signifies that the Macbook is not trying to even boot -- therefore the key input is not being accepted? sorry not familiar with the boot process.

11. Mad Mac

Mad Mac Active Member

The Mac is unable to find or receive what it needs to boot. It could be anything and your guess is as good as mine. Sadly I cannot confirm if it's hardware or software without a physical inspection. Give it a few last go, after that, let it be and bring it to shop next week. Round about this time surely there is SOMEONE who deserves your attention. Clue, Easter.

12. pael

pael Well-Known Member

13. pael

pael Well-Known Member

just want to update that the tip in the link worked! i removed a RAM module then tried to reset PRAM, and I was able to reset properly. Now the Option boot is working fine. I am now reinstalling the OS. hope all of the problems was solved in resetting the PRAM and I hope everything will still work after I install the other RAM module. :)