Missing songs. Help.

Discussion in 'iPod, Apple TV and other Apple-branded entertainm' started by Mad Mac, Feb 28, 2009.

1. Mad Mac

Mad Mac Active Member

2 or 3 albums in my iTunes are missing. I did not delete them. The playlist is still visible. But ther eis no album art and each song has an "!" before it. I have back up iTunes on dvd. But sadly, I have new apps, songs, and app data that were not backed up. Now I cannot sync my ipod for fear of losing my data. For what it is worth, the missing songs are still on my ipod Touch.

2. makoy32000

makoy32000 Member

Eton Cyberpod Corinthian, Ortigas Pasig City
    It means that you may have transferred to a different location.
    To be sure you don't delete whatever's on the iPod Touch, set it to manually manage music and videos. Try inserting the dvd and click on the song, if it plays, it means that the song's location is in the dvd and not in the drive..

3. Mad Mac

Mad Mac Active Member

The songs are no longer in my Mac. I am puzzled as to how this happened. Sadly the dvds are iTunes backup. They are not actual music files. I can't use them to restore because I have new data in iTunes. I think it is more convenient to accept the loss than restore. I just hope somebody can tell what happened because I am pretty sure I did not delete anything in iTunes. This is so i can avoid this from now on.

4. platonick_69

platonick_69 Member

5. Mad Mac

Mad Mac Active Member

I went through the thread. Looks like it was not resolved. What caused it and how was it fixed? I don't think the songs can be recovered. They are really gone. I just want to make sure this wont happen again. Thanks.

6. platonick_69

platonick_69 Member

I followed the instructions given to me. Apparently, there were songs that were moved since some were not in the itunes library. I remember deleting songs that were saved in my hard drive.

7. fcdiesta

fcdiesta PhilMUG Addict Member

Not sure about this but would using an app like Senuti enable you to get the songs from your iPod Touch and copy it to your hard disk or your iTunes Library? Just make sure your iPod does not automatically update its playlist when plugged into your Mac (I think you can set this through your iTunes preferences).

Please correct me if I'm wrong...

8. Mad Mac

Mad Mac Active Member

My situation is different. I did not delete or move songs deliberately.

fcdfiesta, you are a life saver.Thanks for suggesting Senuti. I am now copying the songs back to my Mac. I will buy this app as insurance.

Thanks all for helping out.

#8 Mad Mac, Feb 28, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2009
  9. fcdiesta

fcdiesta PhilMUG Addict Member

^ I'm glad you got your songs back. Remember to check the option to "Keep your iTunes music folder organized" so you won't lose any more songs/music later. That way, any CD tracks and MP3s you put in or copy (legally, of course) are automatically saved into your iTunes folder.

10. RC

RC Active Member

Just curious... did you perform a basic search for your songs???
    If you haven't try performing one it may be in your hard drive somewhere...
    or do you have your remote access turned on??? somebody might be pulling a prank by deleting some of your files...

11. Mad Mac

Mad Mac Active Member

Yes, I did that. The songs are really gone. I have also checked Keep iTunes Folders Organize and Copy files to iTunes music folder when adding to library ever since. I really have no clue as to why this happened. For now I'll just have to check my songs from time to time. It is also wise for me to check them before i sync. But it is good to know that for songs and other media, both iTunes and the iPod Touch can back up each other. I will also have to increase frequency of dvd backups. I just wish Apple allows a hard disk backup. No I don't use Time Machine. I don't have a big enough external hard disk.

12. PatrickGaerlan

PatrickGaerlan Super Moderator
    Staff Member

You can backup your iTunes Library without using Time Machine. Simply drag the entire ~/Music/iTunes folder to an external hard disk.

13. Mad Mac

Mad Mac Active Member

Does that save and restore my apps, settings, playlists, where I stopped viewing, etc? But I guess saving just the music is better than nothing. DVD backup just takes too long.

14. PatrickGaerlan

PatrickGaerlan Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Yup, if you backup the entire Music/iTunes folder, all the iTunes settings and playlists will be preserved.

15. Mad Mac

Mad Mac Active Member

Oh that is great. Thanks. A hard disk backup plus Setuni will have the necessary data redundancy.

16. keyboardstyli

keyboardstyli Active Member

I've used Senuti before (it's a very nice app indeed) to back-up the songs that's still saved on our old iPod photo so it could sync w/another iMac instead (it upload songs that's saved from the iPod to iMac), because the previous iMac that it usually syncs with encountered some problems. :cool:

I'm not sure though if the newer versions works with the iPod touch & iPhone, but it's sure going to be interesting if it could. :rolleyes:

Btw, Senuti is a free app if I'm not mistaken, just do a search for it (it's available from a lot of Mac software download websites). :eek:

UPDATE: It was a freeware app before but it's now a paid app w/free trial option also. :slanted:

#16 keyboardstyli, Mar 2, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2009
  17. Mad Mac

Mad Mac Active Member

It works with my iPod Touch 1st gen. Songs, Podcasts, and videos are listed. Playlists, Last played, etc are functional for easy listings. I now have piece of mind.

18. keyboardstyli

Did you use the "old/free" (freeware version), the "new/trial version, or the "new/paid" version instead? :slanted:

19. Mad Mac

Mad Mac Active Member

New paid V 0.50.5. The new trial version also worked fine.

20. keyboardstyli

Interesting! :rolleyes: Btw, it's $18.00 right, where did you download/paid it from? :cool: Thanks.