Misaligned letter "J" ( mbp late 2008)

Discussion in 'MacBook Air, MacBook & MacBook Pro' started by joy08, Dec 3, 2009.

1. joy08

joy08 Member

My brother have a problem with his mbp. His not a mugger thats why i'm posting this from him

The problem is he has a protruded or improper alignment letter "J" on his keyboard anyway you can turn it back to its proper alignment when you press the lower part of the letter "J" the thing is you will also hear a clicking sound while doing that

Its really annoying especially when your typing
    Pressing upper part letter "j" specifically upper left corner -misaligned
    Pressing lower part solved the issue -align

That's why i suggest him to bring it to digital hub because its under warranty pa and almost all our mac , ipods and accessories came from them. After 1 week of waiting didn't received any update or message from them, my brother called digital hub yesterday morning and ask for an update and the person whom he talked to forgot his name said they will call back and give an update but still didn't received any update. Today my brother called again and asked for sir hubert the sad part is the request have been declined. awww Sooo sad

Guys before visiting other apple authorized center
    1. Where's the best place?
    2. What do you think with the keys? Kakatakot kasi baka bigla matanggal or mag popped out pero so far hindi pa naman(Sana wag).
    3. Any suggestion?

Related link
    http://www.philmug.ph/forum/showthread.php?t=50449

Thanks in advance:)
    Thanks philmug:)

#1 joy08, Dec 3, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2009
  2. skinhead

skinhead Active Member

when all else fail try Apple toll-free at 1800-14410234, their standard procedure is that they'll ask you for a picture of the problem and they will give you a case number. it's a bit long process though but better than nothing.

i believe that digitihal hub knows best and decline your request for a reason, did you/brother ask them why the top case replacement got denied?

just curious - any dent, scratch or anything on the top case (top case is where the palm rest, keyboard,trackpad is)

good luck.

3. joy08

joy08 Member

Thanks skinhead yup they already did that, take a picture and video of the problem.

About the top case, palm rest, trackpad and keyboard all are in mint and pristine condition no single scratch or even a hairline scratch.

Its been denied because its user fault daw and its not covered by warranty.

I thought the problem was simple misalignment and they will just simply do some adjustment on the keys or in the inner part or any spring that hold the key to make it align but sir hubert said if its keyboard problem even if its single key like my brother has, top case will also be replace.

All i want was to bring it back to proper alignment kahit hindi na mareplace yung top case ok lang.:(

4. raze94

raze94 Member

5. natsgo

natsgo Well-Known Member

Hmm... if I remember correctly, enuskhi got her top case replaced for free because the 'fn' key popped out.

6. chetiboy

chetiboy Active Member

how does the "J" key look like?
    would it be ok to post a picture of it?

7. joy08

joy08 Member

@raze94
    thanks raze94 for the link almost the same but mine has clicking sound anyway saw some related video there that might help.

@natsgo
    Here's enuhski case click the link:
    http://www.philmug.ph/forum/showthread.php?t=50449

yeah thats my point too, enuhski got his popped up fn keys back plus top case replacement but mine a bit slant and misaligned with clicking sound but still intact mas milder sa problem ni enuhski got rejected and they didn't even bother to try to check baka kunting adjustment or loosening lang. Im afraid to do it kasi baka mag popped yung key thats why i brought it to them.

Just like this video. thanks for the link raze 94
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSpPlMdGvVI&feature=related

And if i remember it correctly sir hubert said if na declined yung request they will try to check it or do something about it .

#7 joy08, Dec 3, 2009
  8. joy08

joy08 Member

@chetiboy
    Ok will try to post a picture.

9. joy08

joy08 Member

here's the picture of it.
    [​IMG]

#9 joy08, Dec 3, 2009
  10. natsgo

natsgo Well-Known Member

Looks like one of the clips on the underside of the key either got broken or got detached.

They look like this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. joy08

joy08 Member

Good morning natsgo, that's what i'm also thinking it got loose, detached and hopefully not broken maybe they can just reattach it like in this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSpPlMdGvVI&feature=related

Any suggestion where can i have it check? or any other option.

Thanks in advance.

12. natsgo

natsgo Well-Known Member

@joy08,

My daughter pulled the spacebar off my wife's MacBook and I just reattached it on my own. :)
    If you don't want to do it yourself, then just bring the unit over to Hubes and have them check it.

13. joy08

joy08 Member

Already did that but like i said they can't fix it because iba daw yung aluminum mb/mbp keyboard unlike sa previous model pero sana kahit papano tnry nila kagaya doon sa video pede naman palang ganun. I myself would like to do it but im afraid baka lalo lang lumala will try another apple service center. thanks natsgo.

#13 joy08, Dec 4, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2009
  14. natsgo

natsgo Well-Known Member

@joy08, YGPM. :)

15. joy08

joy08 Member

Just for an update

Ynzal fixed the misaligned letter “j” for less than 5 minutes what they did was to detached the key then do some cleaning on it after that reattached it again and it works! While jong fixing and cleaning the key sir val was talking to apple authorized service center thru phone and ask about the problem of misaligned key and sir val also offer to my brother that they could bring it to apple service center for repair but i think there’s no need to bring it there because its already fixed. Thanks to ynzal! Thanks Sir val and jong for the help, very accommodating and helpful! Highly recommended.

On the other hand bit disappointed with digital hub our suking shop were we bought our macs, ipods and accessories on how they handle our problem. What they did was take a picture and video of the problem and send it to apple, if apple declined or reject your case then bahala kana mag makipag usap sa apple para maaprove yung case mo. they didn’t even bother to see if what they can do about it. Cleaning and re attachment lang pala will fixed the issue.

16. michelledsbona

michelledsbona Active Member

In line with this, I would like to share my experiences:

I brought my old white MB, which I now passed on to my brother, one time at DH. I referred to them the problem on the battery bulging issue. They just referred me to call Apple. Since I don't want to be stressed out anymore about it (going to the store and bringing the battery with you is already stressful), I just changed my mind about the bulging battery.

Also, I remember one incident when I upgraded my HD to 320GB at Digital Hub. When I got home, I noticed that the white MB takes a long time to boot. Brought it back but they weren't able to help me. I researched over the internet and voila, I was able to fix it. Simple as that.

Then last week, I got superb service with Ynzal when I decided to trade-in my 9-month old 1.6 MBA with 1.8 MBA. The Ynzal guys sure know what they're doing. No hassles! Every query I asked was patiently answered and explained, which I don't get from DH.

I returned to Ynzal two days ago because I got the white screen when I tried to turn on the MBA. This happened when I downloaded and installed updates, which according to Ynzal, it happened because the upgrades weren't properly downloaded and installed. Wow, in a matter of minutes, I got my MBA back working perfectly fine.

Now, this reminded me that I should try to visit Ynzal again and ask about the bulging battery of the white MB.

Also, I noticed that Mr. Charlie does not reply to queries anymore like he used to. Well, I perfectly understand that he is a very busy person. He's such a nice guy. In fact, I have referred lots of colleagues/friends to purchase from his store. I've also gotten good deals from him but my new iMac and the MBA were no longer purchased from him. I couldn't wait for his reply anymore. I also turned down friends in the office where I work who asked for my help to have them referred to Mr. Charlie since he doesn't reply anymore. But I still try to visit his shops whenever I pass by them at the malls. However, I will now patronize Ynzal for Apple products servicing.

17. drew_viii

drew_viii Member

normally a single letter pops out can be fixed easily, even with or without warranty.

I worked for Apple for a year in Europe, and as much as possible we do provide free assistance even with or without warranty. We do free Archive and install etc and etc, we also do a check up asap, unless there is a replacement part needed, we dont go through the computer and checked for warranty status, as long as its apple product we just fix it as much as we can. I do hope apple services in Asia particularly in Philippines will improve and portray the same concept as how Apple itself did in western countries.

Apple! set a store here! hehe

18. Charlie

Charlie Beyond The Box/DW/Digital Hub

Hi Joy
    Sorry about what happened , usually we follow the guidelines of Apple on what to do for instances like this. Most of our technicians are fairly new and we try to go by the book for all services to not void the warranty.

Ynzal has seasoned technicians which has been doing apple repairs for the more then 10 years.
    We will surely improve in the future.

Thanks for your comments.

CHarlie

19. Charlie

Charlie Beyond The Box/DW/Digital Hub

Hi Michelle :)
    Thanks for your comments, I apologize for replying very late to inquiries the past few months.
    I usually get about 4 to 5 inquiries call/txt/email every hour so its very difficult to reply to all, I'm also on the road 4 to 6 hours a day so very difficult for me to answer in a timely fashion because all my data is in my computer which I have to access.

We're setting up an inquiry line this coming January so we can improve in our response time.
    I hope you still can consider us for your next purchase.

Thanks
    Charlie